• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Tower Defense] Warhammer Medieval TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Warhammer
TD

First of all; Hello everyone and thanks for visiting this thread!
It’s been over 10, probably 14 or 15 years ago I stumbled over Ralles Warhammer 40k TD which I loved. It’s a great map, check it out. Well since playing it for countless of hours, most likely in the three-digit area and returning every year back to Warcraft 3 to play some more of it, I decided 3 Months ago to create a TD aswell. This map has some similarities to the source of my inspiration and of course I talked to the map creator of the previous one.

This is a Tower Defense where you are supposed to maze. You have to make a maze, a labyrinth consisting out of towers where the enemy mobs will tag along and where you’ll hopefully be able to beat them. As the title already suggests it’s themed on the Warhammer Fantasy universe.. at least for your units. You are able to choose from a handful of factions, that should have their unique playstyles. The enemies you are confronting are enemies from the future, the 40k Universe.

Map Details
  • Up to 9 Players: 8 base defenders, 1 final defender (Grey temporarily disabled due to desync issues)
  • 35 Waves: 5 air, 4 mech, 5 boss
  • 10 playable races, with each having around 17-19 towers (~94 different towers)
  • Interest and Tower Relocation systems
  • Tower Synergies
  • Expandable mazeing areas
  • Imported Skins for some towers (Thanks to all the creators)
  • Playtime of about 60 minutes
  • 3 difficulty levels: The first one, Peasant, should be beatable with every race, whereas higher difficulty levels require teamplay
  • Able to play on your own or with more players
  • Different Playstyle for Gray
  • Waveminibosses in higher difficulty levels
Playable Races
  • Asrai (Wood Elves)
  • Bretonnia
  • Dwarves
  • The Empire
  • Greenskins
  • Lizardmen
  • Skaven
  • Vampire Counts
  • Asur
  • Norsca
The goal of every race is, that every one shall have it’s unique touch.

They are oriented to the table top system but let’s clarify that with two examples.
Skaven are having their “13nth” buff. Some of their units get stronger, if there are units of the same type around it.
Whereas the
Vampire Counts do not start off with their full supply of 250. To get supply you first have to create a rather expensive Vampire who is holding your troops.

Beta Status

Right now we are at version 0.2.2x. There have been over 40 releases up till today which where there for trigger testing et cetera. The basic functionality should work up to now as I am already polishing some features. Some things are still missing but we will come to these in the next section.

The Map may leave the Beta status once I added all the additional functionality that is still missing but first and foremost one of my biggest points is balancing. In this version every race should be able to beat and finish the game.

In all the testing time I came to the conclusion that this TD is rathe hard, however, I am baseing this statement on the number of victories I have had with full house and by observing other players how they performed. So do not feel discouraged if it’s getting too hard. This TD should be a journey as you progress through the waves. There won’t be any announcements how strong a wave is, which armor type or special abilities they have. The purpose is to learn as you play with your favoured faction.

Upcoming Features
  • Races: Dark Elves, Beastmen, Chaos and Tomb Kings
  • Additional Waves for higher difficulty levels (+10 the higher you go)
  • Wave special abilities (e.g. divine shield)
  • Hero/Lord towers for every race (e.g. Karl Franz, Grimgor Ironhide)
  • Adding more and neater details to the map
Closure
Well I am working and testing the map every day. Making minor bug fixes, adding new things, tweaking money and damage values and so on. I am open for suggestions and critics and in addition I wish you much fun if you decide to test or play it on your own.

The map is working and is finish able as it is right now. One of the most important things is, that you read through the quick details of your towers. For example: If a tower says meele it will not attack through your whole maze. Keep that in mind and you are supposed to maze. Making only 1-2 towers and upgrading them will not suffice here.

Minimap
cM5qxQw.png

Top Down View

skntGHd.png

Greenskin Example

zRIIZgP.png

Attachments

• WH_TD_0.2.9f-release.w3m
    11.6 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Level 2
Hello infernohunt, I really like your TD and hope that you are continuing your good work on it.
Everytime I connect to the game I try to host your map and play with other players. Most of them become discouraged after encountering some bugs such as:
- units/creeps not displayed and un-clickable (both for creeps and towers). Seems to be related to the players that don't have reforged
- some ability of some tower seem to destroy other towers (intended or not?)
- some castable abilitie of some towers are not working and if you let the autocast activated, it prevents completely the tower to attack any creep
- the lvl with mage and their blink ability is really fun, but it tends to create bugs and finally destroys some of your towers, even if a clear path is possible.

I will try to take more time in my next play to identify precisely which units/abilities/scenario is causing some problems and then give you my feedbacks right here.

Keep up the good work!
(PS : I don't have a strong knowledge in warhammer, but I really enjoy playing with the Dwarves on your map)

Level 2
Hi again,

Here after a list of few problems met with the first batch of races I have tested :

Empire
- Knight of the blazing sun : auto-cast not synchronized with their spell/ability
- Demigryph knight : it's written mele+, but the range is 200
- Steam engine : not sure if its ability is working (what is the range of it?)

Dwarves
- ranger's upgrade : ability is not working. If autocast is activated it prevents totally this unit to attack the creeps
- torpedo ability is not synchronized with the autocast
- miner : miner's ability is too slow and seems not to reach the fast creeps
- extra remark : it seems to me that the cost in food associated to Dwarves units is not balanced if we compare it to other races

Skavens
- catapult : the aoe is damaging both the creeps and player's units
- warlock : the aoe is damaging both the creeps and player's units

White elves
- shadow dancer : this unit seems way too overpowered. Maybe it's due to its ability which has a huge range and can attack all the creeps in parallel.

Regarding the different lvl and the creeps :
- blinking ability of the creep is creating some bugs, such as : creeps are beyond inner wall or leaving their "normal" path. Some of the creeps are then destroying player's units for no reason.
- bosses : it seems impossible for a solo player to kill both bosses of the two first boss lvl
- is it intended that the creeps are so quick when reaching the last player that a could stop them ?

Anyway, I find your map very nice and the game design/race design is one of the best I have seen so far in the custom maps universe.
Hope you will have the opportunity to release a new version with the extra features you were talking about in your post.

Ciao

Status
Not open for further replies.