• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

-Warhammer 40k: Dark Millennium Online-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Why is it that everytime a new MMO is coming out people will start obsessing about it killing WOW? You know what? This isn't going to kill WOW, doesn't mean it will be a bad game.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Why is it that everytime a new MMO is coming out people will start obsessing about it killing WOW? You know what? This isn't going to kill WOW, doesn't mean it will be a bad game.
^This.
World of Warcraft is not a quality game. There has been an innumerable ammount of games released, of at least twenty times its quality, yet World of Warcraft still prevails.

Level 13
It won't kill WoW that's for sure. The franchise has too much momentum to be stopped, and besides, not that many people know WH40K (most of them are like 21 year-old nerds who work at hobby stores and lives with their mums).

Gross generalization. We might as well claim that all WoW players are basement dwelling beardnecks.

Level 6
Now I'm a 21 year-old nerd that lives with my mom and I work at a hobby store

Sweet gig, dude.

World of Warcraft is not a quality game. There has been an innumerable ammount of games released, of at least twenty times its quality, yet World of Warcraft still prevails.

The Quality of WOW has had little bearing on its success since it has hit the mainstream. A lot of people didn't know what an MMORPG was before that. "World of Warcraft" and "Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game" have become synonymous in todays culture. I, myself, keep getting sucked back in but I rarely stay longer than a month. This new expansion...I can't believe what they have done to the goblins. Motorcycles in a fantasy setting was bad enough...

I digress.

EVE Online is a superior game and despite the fact that the client and over 10 expansions have been released for free and it has been advertised ridiculously all over the internet a lot of people don't know it exists.

Thanks to South Park and Stargate Atlantis (to name only two) everybody knows what WOW is. Blizzard would have to make an unprecedented error while developing the game or story to lose that fan base.

Last edited:
Level 17
It's like saying every AoS game is just a replicate of DotA.
But they aren't. They are just different styles of the same genre.

Seriously in my opinion, Perfect World Entertainment makes better MMORPG's and they are free too.

It won't kill WoW that's for sure. The franchise has too much momentum to be stopped, and besides, not that many people know WH40K (most of them are like 21 year-old nerds who work at hobby stores and lives with their mums).

Many people who know and like wh40k never even seen any miniatures live, wh40k is more than some crappy tabletop game. You don't really need to know about tabletop and wh40k is still more known than warcraft, but it has hardly any good games.

Level 13
Many people who know and like wh40k never even seen any miniatures live, wh40k is more than some crappy tabletop game. You don't really need to know about tabletop and wh40k is still more known than warcraft, but it has hardly any good games.
>>>crappy tabletop game

32.jpg

Level 13
I would argue that Warcraft is more known than Warhammer due to the success of WoW. However this doesn't mean that Warhammer is exactly unknown or underground. Warhammer too has it's of significant fame.

Level 10
I would argue that Warcraft is more known than Warhammer due to the success of WoW. However this doesn't mean that Warhammer is exactly unknown or underground. Warhammer too has it's of significant fame.

No offence to anybody, but I think WoW is played by a majority of ignorants, 90% WoW players know absolutely NOTHING about its lore.
Warhammer has a bigger impact (in my opinion) on a person, its players are 21 year old nerds that live with their mothers, but WoW's players are 13 year old kids that care bout nothing

Level 19
No offence to anybody, but I think WoW is played by a majority of ignorants, 90% WoW players know absolutely NOTHING about its lore.
Warhammer has a bigger impact (in my opinion) on a person, its players are 21 year old nerds that live with their mothers, but WoW's players are 13 year old kids that care bout nothing

Generalization is generalization.

Hey, whatever, I like WH40K better than WoW, but I like Wc3 better than WH40K :p
Guess what I like better than Wc3? Starts with H...
Actually, there are alot of middle-aged people playing WoW, AND a lot of women (which WH40K doesn't have). WH40K is a more indepth world than Wc's entire lore(which is actually taken from Warhammer), true.

>>>crappy tabletop game

32.jpg

Sorry, I said that because I don't like such tabletop games, too expensive and computers can basically replace it (which was not true for the year 1987).

Wh40k has no mmorpg past, so only because is wh40k themed, it doesn't guarantee the success. Just see the failure with Age of Reckoning.

And most 21 year olds still mostly live with their mom.

Level 17
Sorry, I said that because I don't like such tabletop games, too expensive and computers can basically replace it (which was not true for the year 1987).

Wh40k has no mmorpg past, so only because is wh40k themed, it doesn't guarantee the success. Just see the failure with Age of Reckoning.

I agree with you about Age of Reckoning, but Mythic is not working on Dark Millennium, so one would hope they would get it right. The problem with WAR is that they rushed it towards the end, causing major class fuck-ups.

Level 13

The failures of WAR were mostly due to an inefficient team and just outright horrible leadership.

Dark Millenium on the other hand atleast seems more ambitious, as in it wants to do something new. Then again this doesn't guarantee success yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.