• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

WarCraft III Poly Count??

Status
Not open for further replies.
depends on the role that you want to give to the unit. If it's an easy to mass model, do somewhere around 400-700 triangles. If it's a Hero, 900-1600 triangles is fair enougth. If it's a building 600-800 triangles and if it's a town hall it can be from 2000 to 3000.

Poly limits have increased in the last years, because computers are way faster than before. Art Tool's poly limits were designed for computers of the year 1998-up.

Level 7
Well, my map is going to be a bit different than most. There will be like 8-12 "heroes" i guess you could say, and there will NEVER be more than 10-20 units on the screen moving at any one point in time right now.

Problem is, I have no reliable computer slower than a dual core 3.0ghz system, so I hope I don't overtax it.

Right now I'm at around 1400 triangles, having trouble converting from .max into mdx, the 3ds converter crashes apparently with Vista...

Level 4
I think the poly level is more of a question on how many polys you need to make it look good. I mean, if you think it looks great after just 150 poly's stop there.
If you do the skinning part great, it can easly overcome the poly level.
I think under 1200 is a fine number if you are going to do a complex model that will require MANY polys, but i think you should not use more than what is needed.
If the model absolutely needs 4000 polys, and it is impossible to do less....... then do it 4000 polys. If it would look about the same in 400 polys, then i think you need to think a bit more.

That is my opinion anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.