• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WarCraft III Modding Wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
EDIT: I am mostly saying this from a modding perspective, someone or a group of people to spend time implementing these things. Not necessarily Blizzard to do this, as I know they will never update WC3 ever again. This is also mostly for fun.

Well, I've been gone for a month. Not having Internet. But I've had a lot of time in that month to think about WarCraft III. And these are some ideas I came up with, a list of things that would make modding WarCraft III (Via Editor or just manually modding) so much easier and flexible.

Edit: Some of these things can even be applied to SC2, as some of the things I mention are still not addressed in SC2.

1. Triggers that can modify ANY Object Editor data. Though this makes upgrades almost useless. It would make things far more flexible. This INCLUDES Icons, Models, requirements, gold, lumber, and food cost, structures built, abilities, buffs, doodads, and it would all be unique per unit instead of per unit-type, but could do it for all units of the unit-type too.
1a. For changing any stat via trigger, you can set the modification to "Positive" "Negative" "Neutral" or "Upgrade".
2. All spells can have their Order ID changed on the fly, like with Channel. Pretty straight-forward and simple. Or, even better, you can make your own Order IDs. This includes The "Build Tiny Building" ability, which makes no sense to have a hard-coded value.
3. Very odd hard-coded things removed. Such as a workers exiting a gold mine having their speed reduced. Shadow and ground texture images for buildings. The ability to disable the stun on Firebolt. There's tons of things like these that just make absolutely no sense as to why they were even hard-coded.
4. Maximum Speed possible increased to 1000. The Blademaster actually can go past the 522 limit, so this value not allowing to go beyond 522 makes no sense.
5. The Build Tiny Building ability should also have options to enable Human Build, Undead Build, Night Elf Build, or Orc Build, for each instance of the ability. This, combined with the other thing, and Spellbooks, would allow for making multiple Build menus possible.
6. Attack Angles. The rotation of a unit is 100% cosmetic in WarCraft III (Except for the Cannon Tower. I have no idea why). Meaning their facing does nothing. It can face any angle and still be able to attack or use spells in whatever direction you tell it to.
7. Command Cards like in StarCraft (The first one). Command Cards were a completely separate object in SC1 and you could change what command card a unit displays.
8. A few useful abilities such as a Channel ability that can use a projectile and uses buffs, an ability to do what's mentioned in #7, and an Engineering Upgrade that works on non-hero units.
9. Completely blank, basic widgets. Like in StarCraft II. Something that is immediately ready to be duplicated and modified at any time that has no stats you might forget about changing.
10. Buffs made not completely cosmetic. Have buffs be able to do a few things, like changing movement or attack speed, or cause a damage over time effect.
11. Being able to make multiple types of Blight with customizable effects. Particularly, speed bonuses, health regen bonuses, sight bonuses, and it not actually replacing textures, just overlapping them. So if they recede, the textures that were originally there are back. Also having it's own texture.
12. Holy Light, Death Coil, and Death Pact/Dark Ritual, having their hard-coded limitation of targeting/healing/damaging alive/undead units removed. Instead, you can modify fields for "Damage to Undead" and "Damage to Living" and putting a negative number in there will heal instead.
13. Everything cleans themselves up like in SC2. (Points, unit groups, picked unit, etc)
14. Make any ability autocast. This would be extremely useful. The AI behind the autocasting can be made hard-coded, that would be fine. (Like for instance, Stone Form can automatically cast whenever the unit reaches 10% HP remaining.)
15. Burrow not requiring specific animations to function properly.
16. Strike-Through effects on weapons, like Lurkers in SC1.
17. Magic Immunity having an "Exclusions List" to allow certain spells to go through the spell immunity.
18. At least 5 new Unit Classifications.
19. Change any UI file in-game via trigger at any time. This can help make custom races feel more unique.
20. Multiple text zones for the "Display Text" functions. Like in SC2, you can display messages in the "Error" section, "Messages", and "Debug".
21. Abilities can cost Gold, Lumber, or Health, ontop of Mana. Currently the only abilities that do this are the Charge Gold & Lumber and morph abilities.
22. Mechanics that should've been built into the game, built into the game. Pretty much every mechanic from the first StarCraft should've been in WC3. There's no excuse for it not to be. They already had the code for it. WC3 and SC1 were almost in development at the same time (WC3 rumored to be in development starting in like 1995 and SC1 starting development in like 1993). They'd just need to copy/paste it, debug it, make sure it works and there. Also some mechanics made via triggers here on the Hive should be implemented into the game. Such as knockback, jumping, etc...
23. Pretty much all hard-coded values in abilities added as fields in the Object Editor.

24. Finally, lots and lots of bug-fixes. There's still lots of bugs in WC3 that need to be addressed. Such as when Arrow abilities (Searing/Poison/Black Arrow) has a cooldown, the cooldown can be completely ignored by turning off the autocast while the unit is attacking. If Shadow Strike has a casting time of 0, it causes MAJOR lag.

That's about all I can remember for now. I may add to this list later, or post make new posts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.