• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Distance Units Convert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello, I wish to know what is the relation between distance units in Warcraft III and those in the real world. In other words: how many centimeters are 600 units?

I need exact values, I can gather, that 600 range is about 10-15 cm, but I need to know exactly how much one unit of distance in Warcraft III is, so I can calcualte different distances.

And what speed system Warcraft III uses. Like if a projectile's speed is 1500 - does that mean it travels a distance of 1500 standart Warcraft III units in a second or what?

Thank you. :pal:

Last edited:
Level 2
I needs it, coz not anyone knows exactly how far 600 units are, but they will roughly know how far 10 cm are. So if you have an ability that says: "Damages everyone in a radius of 600 units" that actually says: "Damages everyone in a radius which you don't even freakin' know how far it is".
No offence, but it is not important why I want it, but rather - do you know it :p

Level 13
if its that important, make a test map, make a unit with model of a torch, or sth else which is quite thin. place one unit in your map, then use this trigger

• Events
    • Time - elapsed time is 0.00 seconds
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 10, do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • Unit - Create 1 Torch for Player 1 (Red) at ((Position of (your preset torch)) offset by (((Real((Integer A))) x 100.00), 0.00)) facing Vorgabe 0 degrees
leaks are unimportant for this test map. this trigger creates a torch at the distances 100, 200, 300, ..., 1000 from your placed torch, now take a ruler and measure the distances in centimeter, maybe you can find a formula for it through this

Level 2
Thanks, but I figured that out, problem is I need EXACT values, as I have said several times already, I have measured some distances and so on, but it's the EXACT values I am interested in.

P.S.
SanKakU, no offence, but - no shit?! I know I can zoom in the editor, don't you read previous posts? Let me quote myself and then clear my already quite simple post to an even more simple post:
A guy named whatever once upon a time said: "I needs it, coz not anyone knows exactly how far 600 units are, but they will roughly know how far 10 cm are. So if you have an ability that says: "Damages everyone in a radius of 600 units" that actually says: "Damages everyone in a radius which you don't even freakin' know how far it is".
Okay, so let me make it even more simple: I want to know exactly what values the Warcraft III units are, so I can type them in cm in ability tooltips, so that people, who don't spend their youth working with the world editor can understand them. Clear?
I have a bad feeling, that when I ask some REALLY serious stuff the only thing I'm going to get in return will be a migrene :hohum:

P.S.S.
SanKakU, Saia_Djinn already said: "no dont think so coz the units stay same u just can see morea to one time(would be imba if one can blink further than another", and he is right. I know you don't bother to read other people's posts, but it's worth a shot.

Level 8
HMM... WC3 distance units to centimeters... well let's think about this... a paladin is the size of a house... a tank is the size of 2 peasants, and everything flies low enough to where you could jump up and kick 'em in the balls...

I don't think warcraft 3 has much of a basis for scaling.

In the world editor, each of the yellow grid units is 128 distance units. Most mappers would know this, but NOBODY would know what you define as 3 meters in warcraft 3.

Level 7
Everyone is trying to tell you, that different screens have different resolutions! so on your screen, 600 units could take up X centimeters, while on somebody else's screen, say theirs is larger.. would take up Y centimeters.

And besides.. the warcraft 3 camera is at an angle, so if theyre looking at the higher part of your screen, 1 centimeter is gonna cover more warcraft units than if they are closer to your camera.. this just wouldn't work.

Level 12
Okay, you know normal scout towers and that? from the left to the right is 200 blocks.
They take up an area of 4 blocks. 1 block == 100
You can also move your cursor around WE and look how the coordinates change, that is also distance. (Coordinates are - x, y, z (height from map created level))

Overall - To measure 600 WE-meters, just place 3 scout towers in a line from 1 point to another.

Level 2
Maximilianx, you are right, and have a good point, but the deviation is minimal. 600 units at 640x480 is about 11.5 cm, while 600 units at 1280x1024 is 12 cm. Yeah, I measured it with a trigger.
But I did understand, that probably noone, apart from blizzard, will know exact measurements, plus that they really do change with resolution, even if a fraction.
Well, thanks everybody...now how do I dispose of this thread? :con:

Status
Not open for further replies.