• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft for an 8 year old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
My son asked permission if he can try playing Warcraft but I'm not really familiar with the game. Do you think it's okay to let an 8-year-old try the game? Is it not to violent or something?

Level 12
I picked it up at 8-9 when the game came out, and turned out fine so far (I think).

The game has mild violence and language ( if I recall correctly). Also, seeing as most of the game is viewed from a bird's eye perspective, the violence is not accentuated much.

If want another opinion you could look at the ESRB rating for the game. I think there's an in depth justification for ratings somewhere on the internet.

(Kudos for checking here before getting the game)

Level 20
I think that Warcraft 3 is absolutely fine for an average 8 year old kid.

First of all - there is a bit of violence in the game. I'm talking about things like environment decorations including dead bodies, heads on spikes, blood, torture contraptions, etc. And like in most games of this type, there's some killing going on. That said, the game has a rather cartoony-fantasy art style, so all these elements are presented in a very non-graphic way plus as @Nowow mentioned, they're showed from a distant camera, so I don't think they're should be an issue.

And if you're not sure - ask your kid if he knows what a "zombie" is. I'd wager a bet that he does and if so, he most likely has already been exposed to a lot more violence than Warcraft 3 has to offer, so the game won't shock him in any way.

Other than that, there's nothing else you should be worried about - no adult language, nudity, sex or any other stuff a parent might be worried about.

P.S. I went and checked - the game is rated T for Teen and is recommended for kids of 12+ years old if you're interested i knowing what the ratings are.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I think that Warcraft 3 is absolutely fine for an average 8 year old kid.
Yeah, the age recommendation for most if not all games is permissive.
In this game, you not only see things resembling tortured and murdered humans but also take part in the slaughtering of humans both as a human and as undead in a controversial way.
Unlike StarCraft II (which is 16+ rated if I'm not mistaken), Warcraft III does not have an option to disable blood.

But all in all, I've played worse games when I was younger and didn't become a criminal or anything. It's safe to do what General Frank suggested if you wanna be extra careful.

Level 5
Wc3 isn't really adult themed, it has violence and some adult/mature material, but overall its a game, I think it has a teen rating which is like 12+ plus if im not mistaken

Level 1
This reply is pretty late, given I started this thread like 3 months ago but I'm still very thankful to everyone who replied! We actually talked about it after and thought we could buy this Christmas (or if he's interested in a different game, lol)

Or even better, play the game with your kid. If you deem your kid can handle the situation you can let him/her play alone.

Actually, yea we thought about that! Although instead of me playing with him, he said we could have his dad play with him. It's because I saw this blog about father's day gift ideas (except it's not father's day anymore but it's almost Christmas) and there was a suggestion to give "Mutual Movies and Matching Books" But in this case it'll be a game, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.