• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 RoC Campaign --- King Arthur ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I was wondering if the warcraft 3 RoC campaign reminded anyone of the story of King Arthur, with a sort of perspective like, If Mordred had won. Then all they would have to do would be twist the story and add in the undead. Heres where I saw the line up:

Arthas --- Mordred
King Terenas --- King Arthur
Jaina --- Sorta like Merlin for Mordred

Level 7
Well actually i coulnt agree with this less. I dont think the RoC campaign was even in the slightest bit like King Arthur.

For one thing Merlin was ARTHUR'S advisor and teacher. Jaina was neither to anyone. in fact she was just a student. Also, Jaina became a leader as time went on so if anything she could be better compared to King Arthur.

For another thing Arthas was trying to save his kingdom, not destroy or conquer it. everything he did was out of love for his people and the reason he fell was because his soul was stolen from him due to his lust for vengeance.

As for King Terenas being like Arthur, he was not a warrior, he was not wise (at least not as much as Arthur was) and he had no "merlin" in his life (unless you count Uther, however Arthas killed Uther so uther cant be compared to Merlin).

And on top of all that if you were to say someone was Merlin it would be Medivh the prophet, however he cant properly be considered Merlin because he helped out to many people instead of just 1 person and he wasnt anyone's mentor.

Level 7
well yes but my point is that thats like saying JASS coding is like C++. theres obviously some similaritys because they are both a coding language, but all in all they are not alike.

Besides that, as has already been stated, along those lines most every fantasy to come out has similaritys to each other, and or, mythology.

Level 18
More like gmod, I have admin powers on over 11 Gmod servers, only 1 CS:S server though. Heh, in gmod there's a mod called ULX that allows you to actually slap people (If you have ULX admin permissions), it makes them move forcefully in a random direction :D.

Level 1
well, exactly. there are no real original ideas in fantasy since the lord of the rings. well, whatever. it all works anyway.

Erm, Tolkein stole most of his ideas from mythology. So There are no real ideas in fantasy since much longer ago that that.

Level 36
Tolkien created a far deeper world then any of the mythology I have ever researched. Really it could arguably be said that he created (as was his goal) an entirely new religion. His tales have depth and he created a lot of original things himself. Really all I think he borrowed was Elves and he based some of the characters (Like Gandalf) off of Norse mythology. And if you put it your way, there is no originality ever. Someone must have gotten inspiration from something. For example:
Lets say it's back centuries and centuries ago and a man is in the process of formulating the Norse mythology. Let's say he's creating Loki. He doesn't know what kind of personality to give Loki. He goes out later that day and meets a man who has all of the characteristics of Loki, he gets in to trouble a lot and enjoys playing various practical jokes on others. He then decided to take that mans personality and use that for Loki's. In your words, nothing then is original because everything is based off of or taken inspiration from something else, to the point where it was Gods creation, and to hell if we know where he got his inspiration from.

Level 27
By this stage in human history, there are no *truly* original ideas. All of fantasy is just ripped mythology in different combinations.

Can't say it doesn't work, so who are we to criticise?

I could just think of an original story and an original landscape with original creatures and everything is original ...

only the thing would be that it would be and look very very very weird :p

Status
Not open for further replies.