• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The frozen throne expansion wasnt needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Im wondering if other people feel the same as i do about TFT. I really think the expansion storyline wasnt necessary and warcraft lore shouldve ended with the defeat of burning legion in ROC. Arthas didnt need to merge with nerzhul to become lich king setting the plot for wow wrath exp. Illidan was totally unnecesary to destroy lich king along with kael so that sets stage for burning crusade wow. At best TFT shouldve been centered on deathwing and stuff unresolved from warcraft 2 or introduced garrosh or something like that instead of creating whole new storyline with forsaken and illidan that has little to do with last campaign of ROC this just my opinion.

Level 21
Well... then you could also argue that the story was complete after wc2 with the destruction of the dark portal by Khadgar.

However, i think that the story of WoW has grown too convoluted by now, which makes development of Wc4 quite messy i imagine.

Wc3 + TFT on the other hand seem fine to me.

Level 10
I respectfully disagree. I think some of the best campaign scenarios are in the expansion; namely The Tomb of Sargeras, The Brothers Stormrage, The Search for Illidan, and A Symphony of Frost and Flame. The expansion brings so much new to the table, the missions feel fresh, they are filled with interesting mechanics and the story arch is cohesive and serves as the setting stage for events in WoW (note that the game was in development simultaneously with Warcraft 3, the graphic similarity is not accidental).

The Rexxar campaign is something else on its own. TFT also added features so valuable to us, mapmakers.

My favorite little detail is that both WC2 and WC3 both bring you to the Outland (Draenor) in their respective expansions.

Level 7
Im wondering if other people feel the same as i do about TFT. I really think the expansion storyline wasnt necessary and warcraft lore shouldve ended with the defeat of burning legion in ROC. Arthas didnt need to merge with nerzhul to become lich king setting the plot for wow wrath exp. Illidan was totally unnecesary to destroy lich king along with kael so that sets stage for burning crusade wow. At best TFT shouldve been centered on deathwing and stuff unresolved from warcraft 2 or introduced garrosh or something like that instead of creating whole new storyline with forsaken and illidan that has little to do with last campaign of ROC this just my opinion.

I think the RoC storyline is kinda bland and generic, with Arthas being almost the only exception there.

TFT in the other hand has a far more engaging storyline imo, and I consider its campaign story better than RoC's by a wide margin.

Level 3
The Frozen Throne campaign is based on a consequence of one of the last missions in Reign of Chaos, more precisely setting Illidan free. Its campaign is less developed but more engaging than the one in Reign of Chaos, it just feels a little less repetitive in my opinion, more content is being put to the table. I wouldn't consider it unnecessary in any way, perhaps it's just you being too lazy to complete it. ;)

Level 3
A good example of something that's entirely unnecessary has to be the upcoming Windows 11. It is going to be released on June 24 (2 days from now) and it is basically Windows 10 with a skin applied. Every single "feature" of it could be covered by a simple update in Windows 10.
Compare this situation to TFT which made each race 20% richer in terms of units, added some previously unseen functionalities like for example the Tavern for hiring neutral heroes or Marketplace for purchasing items from a rotation. It also includes some new tilesets (like Sunken Ruins) in a much expanded World Editor and an addition of naval units. So, I guess people wouldn't complain if we simply got stuck on RoC, but it was a great addition to the base game in every aspect of it.

Level 29
A good example of something that's entirely unnecessary has to be the upcoming Windows 11. It is going to be released on June 24 (2 days from now) and it is basically Windows 10 with a skin applied. Every single "feature" of it could be covered by a simple update in Windows 10.

This also applies to macOS. The new macOS 12 Monterrey still retains some features from macOS 11 Big Sur with some improvements.
Also, I don't know if on the future Blizzard might add the support for Windows 11 and macOS 11/12, but maybe when Diablo 2 Resurrected was released.
Same thing goes for the inclusion of ARM processor on the most recent Apple silicon computers.

Compare this situation to TFT which made each race 20% richer in terms of units, added some previously unseen functionalities like for example the Tavern for hiring neutral heroes or Marketplace for purchasing items from a rotation. It also includes some new tilesets (like Sunken Ruins) in a much expanded World Editor and an addition of naval units. So, I guess people wouldn't complain if we simply got stuck on RoC, but it was a great addition to the base game in every aspect of it.

Upkeep and the amount of starting resources (Gold and Lumber) are also major changes in TFT.
You begin with 500 Gold and 150 Lumber on TFT, but the Upkeep is slightly increased to 10 due to the TFT using 100 food cap.
Also, Insane AI on TFT doubles its resource harvesting compared to the Easy and Normal AI.

Status
Not open for further replies.