• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Maps and Mac issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Is there any known issues with Warcraft 3 maps working fine for PC, but not for Mac?

I've been recently trying out many Warcraft 3 maps on my Mac(I only have Mac, no PC sadly), and many of them just crash. All normal games work fine, and other popular custom maps like DotA work fine as well.

They usually crash at the beginning of the game: in loading screen, when I select a hero, research an ability for a hero, select an item store, etc. Has anybody else had this issue before? There are a lot of maps that I genuinely want to play, but can't due to persistent crashes. Anybody familiar with this problem that can possibly lend me some help!?

Thanks!

Level 5
This is a known problem, WC3 x86 for windows is different from the x86 for mac.

This is why mac people often split from windows players in some maps.
could you extend upon what x86 is, if the explanation is not needlessly difficult? I tried a google search, but still am somewhat confused due. is it an 'instruction set architecture'? why/how does that differing structure specficially have an affect of making only some wc3 maps not work properly?

nevertheless, that still seems like a plausible reason :(

Level 5
Macs shouldn't be used for gaming.
I'm just looking for some brief explanation for why something doesn't work. If you don't want to help(which I am getting a strong vibe of from your post), then please don't post in this thread.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Despite both mac and windows using the same instruction set, they are prone to different bugs as they reference different libraries and the OS runs the processors slightly differently.

For perfect stability, I advise using a windows opperating system to play WC3 as it seems blizzard spent more time debugging that build than the mac one. A common problem is terrain deformations, which cause splits between mac and windows users.

Level 34
mhmm, and run it in Boot Camp

Although my friend tried that and had a large amount of issues with the chipset, had to manually set fan speeds and stuff.
Sucks that you have to pay so much for something that isn't worth it. Unless you have a lot of compatibility issues, I'd just use Wine for the few programs you want.

Level 5
One potential problem I've discovered through asking around:

the ability icon/ability icon paths could be faulty specifically for Macs. this explains why some maps crash when you try to research some abilities..

Status
Not open for further replies.