• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3: A Haunting Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Story
2 Months ago, a family living in Perth, Western Australia, were mysteriously found dead inside they're large home. They had weird satanic markings on their bodies, the mother and father seemed as if they killed themselves, one had a knife, and the other had a razor blade. The couple had a 7 year old boy, who was found dead in the attic. No-one knows how he got there because the manhole in the ceiling looked as if it was sealed for years until police broke it open due to a horrific smell. The police had investigated the residents families, each one said that their relationship was as good as ever, they never fought at all. No-one really knows why they killed themselves, but no-one can tell what the satanic signs stand for either. The area around the house is now abandoned due to unusual activity coming from the house. Before it became abandoned, paranormal investigators questioned the people who work near to the house. The Librarian, Miss Bransteen, told investigators of screams and cries from the now-empty house, no-one is there and she has become paranoid of these sounds, they moved the library further into the city to get away from the house, which she states is cursed. There is also a small medical facility next to the library, the lady at the desk said that patients have been leaving due to blood curdling screams that seem as if its coming from inside the facility, but she said its coming from the house. The medical facility recently moved as well.

A couple of paranormal investigators have gone through the house with cameras in the middle of the night, but hours later they have all ran out of the house, terrified out of their minds, some have even been injured by either being pushed to the floor, or bitten by something unknown.. They now have a website that has warnings to not enter this house. You can find it here - http://pia-warning.webs.com/

Now, a Demonologist read about the happenings in the house and feel that maybe he can release what ever has "occupied" the house.

-------------------------------------------

DEMO Released.

Attachments

• A Haunting Demo A2.w3x
    6.6 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Level 9
Seems we missed out on a Game-Crashing Bug and a Minor Bug.

MAJOR
You could Access the Attic With Just the Front Door Key and Games Room Key

MINOR
When you went out the back, u were Miniature size, and when you returned into the house, you were still Miniature.

!BOTH FIXED!

Ill be uploading the New version Very Shortly.

Level 8
Very nice map, but I can't figure out where to go sometimes! I'll keep trying though... move a bit too slow IMO.

Also, there are some points where the character moves off the screen, but I can't see him. It'd be nice if the camera rotated to face the unit just slightly (make it look cooler too).

Oh and when I exit the kitchen into the backyard area, the camera doesn't follow me, it just keeps me in the same spot and I go off screen. Is that supposed to happen?

Level 8
This area here. I can walk far off screen, and it's a bit of a gamble whether I can get back on screen.

I've discovered a few bugs:
- When you turn on the tap and the key falls out, the arrow keys stick (ie, hold down up arrow key, hit esc, release arrow key, press ok, then watch as your character keeps walking forward as if up is still held down)
- The black demon thing is visible in the upper right of the screen after coming down the steps after getting the very first key just before the light bursts (is it supposed to be there?)
- If you go up to a door and hit esc real fast, the fade filters fade out as many times as you hit esc, not just once.
- Similar to the above, if you go to the top of the stairs, and when it starts to fade out, go slightly down, then back up, it fades out again.

EDIT: Oh and great map btw. It scared me a few times (that damn demon thing! lol)

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_112709_022814_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_112709_022814_01.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 308
Level 9
This area here. I can walk far off screen, and it's a bit of a gamble whether I can get back on screen.
Yeah there is nothing anywhere else from there, so i wouldent go exploring, theres only a backyard therwe, nothing more...Yet

When you turn on the tap and the key falls out, the arrow keys stick (ie, hold down up arrow key, hit esc, release arrow key, press ok, then watch as your character keeps walking forward as if up is still held down)
That is quite odd.. I guess until we fix that bug, just try not to hold an Arrow key when turn on the Tap.

The black demon thing is visible in the upper right of the screen after coming down the steps after getting the very first key just before the light bursts (is it supposed to be there?)
Yes he is meant to be there, its a moment of like "Did i just see something?".. Or something along those lines..

Similar to the above, if you go to the top of the stairs, and when it starts to fade out, go slightly down, then back up, it fades out again.
Hmmmm, again like the 1st one, just wait till it fades back in before moving again..

And im really glad you liked it :) and im really glad it scared you aswell, Haha :)
Did u end up passing the Demo?

Level 8
With the arrow key thing, what's happening is the event you have of it being released is bypassed whenever the game is paused (or in a dialog box). So all you need to do is set all your arrow key boolean variables to false.

Oh and after the light bursts, you can still see the demon thing there, so it kind of takes away from the scariness. Maybe you should remove it when the light bursts?

I think I beat it... You mentioned earlier that there was a glitch where you could open the attic with only 2 of the 4 required keys... I think I accidentally did that instead.

Could you make them walk slightly faster? The game progresses really slowly just because of mobility.

Oh and you should have something up in the tree so you can actually see there's a key up there. I grabbed it by accident the first time.

Level 9
With the arrow key thing, what's happening is the event you have of it being released is bypassed whenever the game is paused (or in a dialog box). So all you need to do is set all your arrow key boolean variables to false.

We'll fix it before the release.

Oh and after the light bursts, you can still see the demon thing there, so it kind of takes away from the scariness. Maybe you should remove it when the light bursts?

Weird, i cant see him on mine... Same as above.

Could you make them walk slightly faster? The game progresses really slowly just because of mobility.

I think it makes it more realistic, i mean, too fast and your thinking why is this guy running in a house? i know what you mean, but we'll look into it..

Oh and you should have something up in the tree so you can actually see there's a key up there. I grabbed it by accident the first time.

Yeah okay, but i don't want to make it obvious though..

And yeah, download A2. and try pass it again, maybe you did miss out on a few riddles...

Level 8
How much longer will the final version be than the demo? 6MB is quite a beast...

EDIT: Oh and another bug: I got the same note from the microwave 3 times (I hit esc 3 times) and the same note appears in the quest log 3 times. I haven't checked the other notes, but you need to double check to ensure players can't pick up the same note more than once like with the microwave.

Oh and the music volume should be set to 0 as you've played your own music through sounds (or not music, but ambiance, whatever you want to call it)

EDIT 2: How could I forget, MAJOR exploit found: insert/delete/page up/page down keys are still able to manipulate the camera in the game. This should be fixed as people could accidentally hit these keys and mess up their camera (and in some spots, stuff will block your player unit so it can be quite difficult getting to a door to reset the view). I suggest a simple "every .03 seconds align camera" solution. Shouldn't hurt as it's a single player map anyways.

Last edited:
Level 9
How much longer will the final version be than the demo? 6MB is quite a beast...

Yeah i know, but because it's single player, it doesn't really matter how big we make it.

LazyCoder said:
EDIT: Oh and another bug: I got the same note from the microwave 3 times (I hit esc 3 times) and the same note appears in the quest log 3 times. I haven't checked the other notes, but you need to double check to ensure players can't pick up the same note more than once like with the microwave.

Ill get that fixed ASAP :)

LazyCoder said:
Oh and the music volume should be set to 0 as you've played your own music through sounds (or not music, but ambiance, whatever you want to call it)

Good idea, i will definitely do that :)

LazyCoder said:
EDIT 2: How could I forget, MAJOR exploit found: insert/delete/page up/page down keys are still able to manipulate the camera in the game. This should be fixed as people could accidentally hit these keys and mess up their camera (and in some spots, stuff will block your player unit so it can be quite difficult getting to a door to reset the view). I suggest a simple "every .03 seconds align camera" solution. Shouldn't hurt as it's a single player map anyways.

Good idea, thanks for finding that out :) It's good to know u really like the map and you are thoroughly checking everything :)

Level 5

Fixed those three things. About the music, even in the current version it will only sound if the player has the game minimized during the loading screen. However, I've set music volume to 0 anyway.

Level 8
Just hit ctrl M and the music will start, if that doesn't work, try again, if not, then it's turned off.

EDIT: All I need to know is... WHEN'S THE NEXT RELEASE??? :)

EDIT2: I posted something on the moddb website, I'm GraphicsKid.

Last edited:
Level 9
Just hit ctrl M and the music will start, if that doesn't work, try again, if not, then it's turned off.

EDIT: All I need to know is... WHEN'S THE NEXT RELEASE??? :)

EDIT2: I posted something on the moddb website, I'm GraphicsKid.

Awesome dude :)

Also, the Paranormal Investigators 'Para-Investigators', Recently told me the link to theyre website about warning people about this house. i posted it Here and in the Main Description.

http://pia-warning.webs.com/

Level 8
The models themselves are only a few KB. You're using blps for textures right?

I noticed you have an .mp3 file in your map that's almost 2MB by itself. You sure you can't cut down on that a little? Singleplayer or not, 6mb is still a beast (plus it'd be nice if you could host it on bnet just to distribute it).

EDIT: I managed to cut down the filesize of it just a *little* bit, lol! (see attached)

Attachments

• theme3.mp3
    47.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Level 8
LMAO! Rick Roll'd!

Ok here's the real file.

And how can you access the Map? it's protected....

I'm special. Don't worry though, your protection is sound. I just opened it up in WinMPQ, looked for any freakishly large files, found one that was almost 2 MB, opened it up in notepad. On one of the first few lines I saw "LAME", so that means its an mp3 file, so I open that up in WMP, and voila!

EDIT: Is the whole map going to be like this demo? (ie, find the notes, go on a wild goose chase finding the keys, etc.). That will get old really fast. Is there any possibility of the character dying? I think it'd be cool to have things that will attack you, so you either have to stay away from them, lure them under a big piano on a rope (which you cut with ESC), or blow them up somehow. Stuff popping out of the darkness will get old.

Attachments

• theme.mp3
    609.9 KB · Views: 58
Level 9
LMAO! Rick Roll'd!

Ok here's the real file.

I'm special. Don't worry though, your protection is sound. I just opened it up in WinMPQ, looked for any freakishly large files, found one that was almost 2 MB, opened it up in notepad. On one of the first few lines I saw "LAME", so that means its an mp3 file, so I open that up in WMP, and voila!

EDIT: Is the whole map going to be like this demo? (ie, find the notes, go on a wild goose chase finding the keys, etc.). That will get old really fast. Is there any possibility of the character dying? I think it'd be cool to have things that will attack you, so you either have to stay away from them, lure them under a big piano on a rope (which you cut with ESC), or blow them up somehow. Stuff popping out of the darkness will get old.

Don't worry, we have quite a few things instore for you guys in this map... :)

Level 8
Don't worry, we have quite a few things instore for you guys in this map... :)

I just hope its not more of those damned notes...

EDIT: May I make a suggestion for a creepier atmosphere? Have a black fade filter on and flickering slightly so it appears as if the lights in the house are flickering. It's surprisingly effective.

Last edited:
Level 8
I love horror maps, and I want to make one myself, so I might try this tommorrow and tell you what I think.

Don't trust me on the scary factor because I will jump at anything. I kept jumping during Disney's A Christmas Carol, so I can hardly rate the fear factor.

Level 4
Hate to be a downer. but i'm not even going to look at this.

Why are there Satanic markings on the corpses? Satanism is not about death, evil, killing, murdering, sacrifices, demons, hell, fire and any other stupid crap you can think of

Satanism revolves around empowerment of the individiual and forever chasing knowledge and growing as a person, being happy and achieving what we want in life.

I'm sorry but your riding the classic christian bandwagon of Satan is evil, he will steal your soul and you'll burn in hell.

Sorry mate, you need to do your research before you go jumping on bandwagons like this, i'll not be playing nor rating this.

Level 9
Hate to be a downer. but i'm not even going to look at this.

Why are there Satanic markings on the corpses? Satanism is not about death, evil, killing, murdering, sacrifices, demons, hell, fire and any other stupid crap you can think of

Satanism revolves around empowerment of the individiual and forever chasing knowledge and growing as a person, being happy and achieving what we want in life.

I'm sorry but your riding the classic christian bandwagon of Satan is evil, he will steal your soul and you'll burn in hell.

Sorry mate, you need to do your research before you go jumping on bandwagons like this, i'll not be playing nor rating this.

This is not related to ANYTHING Religious, so don't bring any religious comments into this.Not everyone believes in Crap like that. And If you didn't get it, the "Demon Empowered" both of the people, to make them Perform them to themselves. They killed each other forcefully by the Demon. And i await Satan to "Steal my soul"...

Level 8
Off Topic:
Whats life without controversy? If everyone was just wandering around being unhumanly polite, the world would be a terribly boring place. Generally, satanists are deemed by the christian community as evil, as opposed to the disagreement with other religions, due to the fact that they worship the antithesis of God - Satan - which the bible says is the single most evil being.

santanists are (not to defend them or anything, I really am against satan worship) wrongfully stereotyped as heretics and zealots that go around randomly killing people to please satan. I haven't read any of the satanic script obviously, but I doubt homocide is a requirement.

I suppose to reach a middle road, instead of making them satanists, you could just make it demonic or spectral possession, which apparently has happened in some cases involving ouiji boards or meddling in the cult.

To lighten it up, here is a joke:
My Priest was possessed by a yogurt. He meddled in yacult.

Level 8
WOW STFU people. This map has nothing to do with religion.

If you're going to judge a map, do so AFTER you've played it. That's the most stuck-up, pretentious thing you could possibly do to a map is vow to never play it, and then feel you are still qualified to pass judgement on it.

The bottom line is THIS is a great map! Why don't you try to do better? And no, don't you dare answer "yes I can" until you have completed a project all the way through.

Level 4
This is not related to ANYTHING Religious, so don't bring any religious comments into this.Not everyone believes in Crap like that. And If you didn't get it, the "Demon Empowered" both of the people, to make them Perform them to themselves. They killed each other forcefully by the Demon. And i await Satan to "Steal my soul"...

The bold and underlined text made no sense...

W/e, i'll not be playing this one either way, sorry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.