• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 2: Aftermath

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Okay, finally released to the public :)

I is an another altered melee map by me :> (Here's the other one)
This time, its a total conversion for warcraft 2.

Features:
1.Oil Sysyem.
2.Custom models.
3.Custom icons.
4.Abilities copied from my first map.
5.AI that I can't managed to build the shipyards.

To be added:
for now:
1.Add heroes (I lack ideas, if you want to contribute please post.
2.Fix some bugs the peeps will report (Ultimate priority).
3.Make the AI build the goddamn shipyards.
4.Find someone/a method to replace the current Peon/Peasant Advanced-Basic system
5.Add screenshots.

Credits:
  • General
    • Kam - inspiration
    • Blizzard Entertainment - creating Warcraft Universe
    • Revan (Rom) - on its alpha stage, this uses one of his melee terrain, but its change (WE MIS YOU)
  • 2D Stuff
    • Dionesiist - Mage texture
  • 3D Stuff
    • Xaran Alamas (one of the 3 creators of the Gnomish Submarine)
    • Dmitry Rommel -(one of the 3 creators of the Gnomish Submarine), Orcish Transport Model
    • Tufy (one of the 3 creators of the Gnomish Submarine)
    • Anemic Royalty - Elven Archer and Elven Destroyer models
    • Mephestrial - Human Oil Tanker, animations of the Orcish Oil Tanker, Human Refinery
    • Red XIII - For every custom building model you will find
    • 3ABXO3 - Barracks model
    • SantoRayo[iP] - Oil Rig model
    • Jokemaster - Forest Trolls Missile
    • General Frank - Forests Trolls model
  • Coding Stuff
    • eleljrk - made the first version of the Oil Multiboard
    • Anarchon - Blizzard and Death & Decay systems, help me learn "For each integer..." =_=
    • Glenphir - Death Coil spell
    • Moridin - Raise Dead spell
    • Romek - Unholy Armor spell
    • Teelo - upgraded the Oil Multiboard to its next level :>
    • ap0calypse - Peasant/Peon advanced<->basic system
    • anarchianbedlam - helped make the idea of the oil cancellation system.
    • Tank-Commander - helped make the idea of the oil cancellation system.
  • Testers
    • Wraithling
    • Wazzz
    • Teelo
    • Trilby

• (8:52 PM) 01-20-2010 First Beta Release
  • (3:40 PM) 03-20-2010 Second Beta Release
    • fixed the compatibility of the map for the latest version
    • new terrain
    • New models for the Ogre, Ogre Mage, and Oil Tanker
    • Higher Filesize
  • (7:05 PM) 03-20-2010 Second Beta Release Update
    • Fixed the Giant Turtle model file
    • The first hall you make will automatically have a 75% construction progress
    • Remove the periodic lightning
  • (10:41 AM) 03-23-2010 Second Beta Release Update
    • The Oil Multiboard experienced heavy change (thanks to Teelo)
    • Some tweaks on the units
  • (3:06 pm) 03-24-2010 version A
    • Uploaded :p
  • (12: 04 pm) 04-07-2010 Version B
    • Changed the model of Troll Axethrower and Berserker (Also their missile was changed)
    • Improvements on the Oil system (The error messages are now like the real error messages, you can now retrieve the oil you spent when you cancel training/building)
    • From 3.02 mb to 3.01 mb >_>
    • When a dummy dies, I remove them (this maybe the cause of lag)

Enjoy! :p

Keywords:
Warcraft, aftermath, tides, of, darkness, beyond, the, dark, portal, Blizzard, supertoinkz, Gwafu, Evil Rabbit, brahms25, Orcs and humans
Contents

Warcraft 2: Aftermath (Map)

Reviews
18:02, 26th Mar 2010 ap0calypse: Approved Temporarily rejected.
Status
Not open for further replies.

M

18:02, 26th Mar 2010
ap0calypse: Approved

Temporarily rejected.

Level 4
Oil system ALMOST works. You probably already know this, but whenever you cancel something that costs oil, you don't get the spent oil back D:
Also, why does the Blacksmith cost 100 oil? I don't recall the Blacksmith costing any oil.
And one more problem: HORRIBLE LAG LATE GAME DX (Maybe I should reduce my graphics settings to see if that works)
Other than those problems, its good, and keep it up ;D

Level 5
wow, a lot of the icons and models are well integrated.

i'm not sure about that knight model, though. the standard wc3 one almost feels more wc2-ish (and way higher quality). same for the human and orc barracks - for me, there's a noticable quality drop from Blizzard's models that hurts immersion. I know your goal might be a 1:1 conversion, but I think that you've altered the gameplay enough to approximate - if not equal WC2 - that you could do without some of those lesser quality models. Just my humble opinion.

but by the far the best and most complete wc2 map i've played, though.

Level 4
Very good but I have to say you have a ways to go.

Issues Encountered:

* Lumber harvest is slow, I know it wasn't exactly fast in War2 but it's going beyond that. I had ALL my peasants on lumber because I had none and more gold than I knew what to do with.

* The advanced building system has some potential problems. You'll drop gold and lumber and probably loose buffs too. Sadly I don't know an alternative, I tried shapeshifting but they can't actualy start construction of anything in the secondary set. It auto-cancels when they start.

* Oil harvest is fubar. When the oil comes in doesn't corrispond to the gold drop off. This can be slightly abused in that a tanker need never empty itself, just go back to the rig repeatidly. It won't take more oil since it's full but it will trigger oil harvest (usually, see below), thus you don't deplete your rig and don't nessicarily have to go as far. The oil sometimes arrives just after leaving the rig... sometimes you need to approach the rig for it to cash in... sometimes the oil gets hung and doesn't cash in until you approach the rig again or another tanker does.

* Mephestrial's return bug is noted to be occuring. I have no idea on a fix. Is there a way to manually set the building to return to in a trigger?

Level 5
Maybe its just me. But after playing for about 15-20 mins it started lagging Massivly like 3 Fps. Its not like a have a bad Pc.
2.6 Tri-core
2 gigs ram
512 meg gfx card Nvidia
Running XP pro
Shit sorry Double post

Could just be me, but whenever I click the Build button the game crashes :/
Never encountered.

Lumber harvest is slow, I know it wasn't exactly fast in War2 but it's going beyond that. I had ALL my peasants on lumber because I had none and more gold than I knew what to do with.
That's the trick, I already posted why on the thread.

The advanced building system has some potential problems. You'll drop gold and lumber and probably loose buffs too. Sadly I don't know an alternative, I tried shapeshifting but they can't actualy start construction of anything in the secondary set. It auto-cancels when they start.
Yeah. I wish I could encounter someone who could make an alternative.

Oil harvest is fubar. When the oil comes in doesn't corrispond to the gold drop off. This can be slightly abused in that a tanker need never empty itself, just go back to the rig repeatidly. It won't take more oil since it's full but it will trigger oil harvest (usually, see below), thus you don't deplete your rig and don't nessicarily have to go as far. The oil sometimes arrives just after leaving the rig... sometimes you need to approach the rig for it to cash in... sometimes the oil gets hung and doesn't cash in until you approach the rig again or another tanker does.
I'll see what I can do.

Mephestrial's return bug is noted to be occuring. I have no idea on a fix. Is there a way to manually set the building to return to in a trigger?
I'll test again

Nice work on the map supertoinkz and Gwafu.
We are the same person -_-

Maybe its just me. But after playing for about 15-20 mins it started lagging Massivly like 3 Fps. Its not like a have a bad Pc.
First of all, every GUI triggers has no leaks (I already used Leak Checker and my friend to see). But I don't know vJass leaks or not. Here's the code (made by Teelo)

JASS:
function Trig_Oil_Multiboard_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer index = 1

// No need to check for active players anymore, if it will only be shown to the local player
    //set udg_TempForce = GetPlayersMatching(Condition(function Trig_Oil_Multiboard_Copy_Func002002001))

loop
        exitwhen index > bj_MAX_PLAYERS
            set udg_oilMultiboard[index] = CreateMultiboard()
            call MultiboardSetRowCount(udg_oilMultiboard[index], 1)
            call MultiboardSetColumnCount(udg_oilMultiboard[index], 1)
            call MultiboardSetTitleText(udg_oilMultiboard[index], "Oil")
            call MultiboardSetItemIconBJ(udg_oilMultiboard[index], 1, 1, "ReplaceableTextures\\WorldEditUI\\Editor-ItemSet.blp")
            call MultiboardSetItemStyleBJ(udg_oilMultiboard[index], 1, 1, true, true)
            call MultiboardSetItemWidthBJ(udg_oilMultiboard[index], 1, 1, 7.00)
            call MultiboardSetItemValueBJ(udg_oilMultiboard[index], 1, 1, I2S(udg_OilS_OilInt[index]))
            if (ConvertedPlayer(index) == GetLocalPlayer()) then
                call MultiboardDisplay(udg_oilMultiboard[index], true)
            endif
        set index = index + 1
    endloop

// Bye!
    //set udg_OilS_MB = GetLastCreatedMultiboard()

// Removing the header line... bye!
    // call MultiboardSetItemValueBJ( udg_OilS_MB, 1, 1, "TRIGSTR_669" )
    // call MultiboardSetItemValueBJ( udg_OilS_MB, 2, 1, "TRIGSTR_670" )    
    // call MultiboardSetItemStyleBJ( udg_OilS_MB, 1, 1, true, false )
    // call MultiboardSetItemStyleBJ( udg_OilS_MB, 2, 1, true, false )
    // call MultiboardSetItemWidthBJ( udg_OilS_MB, 1, 1, 20.00 )

// Removing the players name column... bye!
    // call MultiboardSetItemIconBJ( udg_oilMultiboard[index], 1, 1, "ReplaceableTextures\\WorldEditUI\\Editor-Force.blp" )
    // call MultiboardSetItemStyleBJ( udg_OilS_MB, 1, ( GetForLoopIndexA() + 1 ), true, true )
    // call MultiboardSetItemValueBJ( udg_OilS_MB, 1, ( GetForLoopIndexA() + 1 ), GetPlayerName(ConvertedPlayer(GetForLoopIndexA())) )
    // call MultiboardSetItemWidthBJ( udg_OilS_MB, 1, ( GetForLoopIndexA() + 1 ), 20.00 )
    // call MultiboardSetItemWidthBJ( udg_OilS_MB, 2, ( GetForLoopIndexA() + 1 ), 7.00 )
endfunction

//===========================================================================
function InitTrig_Oil_Multiboard takes nothing returns nothing
    set gg_trg_Oil_Multiboard = CreateTrigger(  )
    call TriggerRegisterTimerEventSingle( gg_trg_Oil_Multiboard, 1.00 )
    call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_Oil_Multiboard, function Trig_Oil_Multiboard_Actions )
endfunction

Otherwise, any other things that can make lag?

Level 4
Checked the thread.

The rate at which trees disappear is about right from what I can tell. If you say the number of chops is accurate I trust that. However it is definettely not chopping at War2 speeds, can you raise the rate of chopping a bit without changing the lumber per chop?

Also I have a implementation of oil patches/rigs that is a bit closer to War2. The patches are in deep water and can be moved over, they list the amount of resources present. Rigs built on them have the same resource amount and when destroyed revert back to patches, still preserving amount. It needs regions and some triggers but it's pretty simple and looks very nice. I can send you the map if you are interested.

Level 12
all the problems i have encountered have already been said, so other then that this is the best wc3 to wc2 conversion i have ever seen, there was but only one other that was better then this, it had all the icons and models, an oil system that was actually not as good as this one but still pretty good, and it even had all the music and sounds converted from the original wc2! i can't remember to save my own life what it was called or where i got it though... and no it's not that campaign wc2 conversion. i cannot remember T.T

Update.

(12: 04 pm) 04-07-2010 Version B
  • Changed the model of Troll Axethrower and Berserker (Also their missile was changed)
  • Improvements on the Oil system (The error messages are now like the real error messages, you can now retrieve the oil you spent when you cancel training/building)
  • From 3.02 mb to 3.01 mb >_>
  • When a dummy dies, I remove them (this maybe the cause of lag)

Level 4
Hey, just finished playing the Warcraft 2: Aftermath map, and heres my review of it:

Positive:
- Great gameplay
- Awesome that someone finaly steps up in the spotlight and succeedes making a WCII map.
- Amazing how fast it's possible to get gold, 4 workers harvesting all the time gives more then enough for a normal game.
- I like how the AI sometimes builds watch towers by the water behind their base to have some protection against a sea-attack.
- Love the group selection thingy, that you can select more units then normal, I think? XD

Negative:
- The AI seems a little "stupid". For example, they attacked the middle with 3 melee soldiers and a catapult... = dead in a second. (That was on insane computers)
- The oil wells look a little weird. Simply a normal well with changed colors. Would be a lot cooler if you could get a model simular to the WCII one, like real oil.
- The "Build Structure" and "Build More Structures" buttons are bugging pretty often. They change place sometimes, which is slightly annoying.
- The shipyards was hard to place. Maybe it's supposed to be built only where it's a lot of shallow water, but I would like to build it behind my base for better defence - but there was not enough shallow water there (I like small compact bases with a lot of walls and towers ;) )
- When the oil tanker has built the oil platform, it should automaticly go start getting oil.
- The oil tanker bugs when leaving the oil platform. Has a really hard time to move out of the shallow water. (Stuck like 7 seconds)
- The AI doesn't build a shipyard or boats, and I daubt they can harvest oil.
- The AI didn't attack my units when standing next to them at some points.
- The AI never attacked my base on a full game of around 30 min.

Overall:
Overall this is a very good map, with incredible potension. I didn't have the oppurtunity to test this online, so I've to split up the rating into two different parts.
Offline mode with AI: 7/10
Online mode with humans: 9/10 (as online probebly won't have the same AI bugs)

Keep up the good work!

The AI seems a little "stupid". For example, they attacked the middle with 3 melee soldiers and a catapult... = dead in a second. (That was on insane computers)
Their attacking is random.

The oil wells look a little weird. Simply a normal well with changed colors. Would be a lot cooler if you could get a model simular to the WCII one, like real oil.
I'm finding one :/

The "Build Structure" and "Build More Structures" buttons are bugging pretty often. They change place sometimes, which is slightly annoying.
If you can make/suggest another system, it's very appreciated.

The shipyards was hard to place. Maybe it's supposed to be built only where it's a lot of shallow water, but I would like to build it behind my base for better defence - but there was not enough shallow water there (I like small compact bases with a lot of walls and towers ;) )
:)

When the oil tanker has built the oil platform, it should automaticly go start getting oil.
I can't, it must be the wc3's engine.

The oil tanker bugs when leaving the oil platform. Has a really hard time to move out of the shallow water. (Stuck like 7 seconds)
Stick with it :/.

The AI doesn't build a shipyard or boats, and I daubt they can harvest oil.
They won't, I can make them build the shipyards.

The AI didn't attack my units when standing next to them at some points.
I know the AI is weak, it will have tweaks next version.

The AI never attacked my base on a full game of around 30 min.
See post above

Guys, I'm still finding the problem why it lags. Please bare with me.

Level 4
Yeah, I know you're doing your best. Just thought I should tell you about everything I found, incase you've missed it :p
It's truly a really awesome map, take your time :)

Level 8
Nice map, but has some bugs and typos, like:

• The Berserker Training upgrade has no icon.
  • The Goblin Sapper's training name is "Goblin Goblin Sapper".
  • Goblin Sappers and Dwarven Demolition Teams are melee. I don't remember that in the original game o.o
  • The Dragon training name is "Train Dagon".
  • The Runes are mines. Feels kinda weird to have a 'mechanical' rune.
  • The Skeletons are going rogue on me. They attack me when I summon them :eekani:
  • The first Town Hall/Great Hall you build is almost automatically done, the progress bar is already at 75% o.0
  • If you play in Single Player without enemies, after some time, it says "Victory!", randomly.
  • If I don't have enough oil, I keep listening to the click sound each millisecond. Could you fix that? :cute:

But overall, it's an awesome map, 4/5!

EDIT: Could you pleeeease make the Satyr Hellcaller a bit less...powerful? Cause he's the regular WC3 creep, which means he's an instant-death machine to any other unit o_o
ANOTHER EDIT: Kind of...lagging at some parts ._.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Big BOOM:

Peasants should build one building at a time (peons). Advanced building isn't triggered by any hotkey (R does something else: Repair). Pressing the advanced building button stops any previous order. Sometimes pressing that button brings you to the first building options. Lumber is harvested somehow slow.
Oil patches should be built peon-like. The oil tankers sometimes do not automatically bring the resource back (you have to press the return resources or right click the refinery in order for the transaction to take place).
There's no purpose for creeps if there are no heroes. AI players battle the creeps.
There's no point for boats if there are waygates.
Gold mines are too wealthy.
The holy vision ability handled by the paladin has a big AoE.
What's with true sight on walls ? I haven't found an upgrade for that.
The troll berserker upgrade icon (DISBTN: disabled command buttons) is green.
Some models always show the research animation.
AI players overwhelm the gold mines with so many workers.

You could put some WarCraft II music and some unit soundsets from there.

I'm waiting for a final release.

Status
Not open for further replies.