• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 1.31 - Can't start custom maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hello everyone,
I've been attempting to get back to Wc3 custom maps as of recent, especially in light of the map strings fix, but when I try to open them in the game it just brings me back to the lobby with a blank error message (still has the red "!" symbol).
I've checked around the forums and have tried some fixes with no luck.

- The map works fine if I launch from the Editor (test mode)
- The map worked fine back in 1.29
- The map used mostly GUI with a JASS custom scripts

- Move the map to the documents folder (OSdisk/users/username/documents/Warcraft III/Maps/FrozenThrone/Scenario)
- Save the map using latest melee patch in map options
- Save the map using custom map data in map options
- Save the map as a folder
- Change the name of the map
- Create a new map and run it: it works (although I'll have to double check later this day)

- The map is ALSO in the ProgramFiles/Warcraft 3/Maps folder (so I've copied it in the documents folder but it's still there)
- If I run the old Wc3.exe (non x64) it works fine (I need to double check this one as well, I tested a few days ago and can't quite do it again right now)

Any help would be appreciated. I'll be able to provide more details if needed in a few hours.
Thanks in advance.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Tried reinstalling the game? Maybe, the paths weren't properly set. I think you should also delete registries related to the game too before installing it again.

EDIT: I mean, wait, other maps work right? Then just save the map somewhere else with the same name and move it there. See if it works. If not, shorten its name.

Level 10
Tried reinstalling the game? Maybe, the paths weren't properly set. I think you should also delete registries related to the game too before installing it again.

EDIT: I mean, wait, other maps work right? Then just save the map somewhere else with the same name and move it there. See if it works. If not, shorten its name.

Moving the map(s) in another folder solved it.

For the record, they were originally in
OSdisk/users/username/documents/Warcraft III/Maps/FrozenThrone/Scenario

Right now they are in
OSdisk/users/username/documents/Warcraft III/Maps/MyMaps

But it also worked in
OSdisk/users/username/documents/Warcraft III/Maps
OSdisk/users/username/documents/Warcraft III/Maps/Scenario
OSdisk/users/username/documents/Warcraft III/Maps/FrozenThrone

I wonder: is the problem basically just related to the path's string's length then? Or is it something else?
Regardless, thanks for the help!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I tried putting maps under OSdisk/users/username/documents/Warcraft III/Maps/Folder/Another Folder/Yet Another and it was OK.
Also worked under [...]/FrozenThrone/Scenario

I renamed the maps to contain 30 characters (numbers, words and brackets), one with no spaces and the other with spaces and it worked fine.

Level 1
Hello everyone,
I've been attempting to get back to Wc3 custom maps as of recent, especially in light of the map strings fix, but when I try to open them in the game it just brings me back to the lobby with a blank error message (still has the red "!" symbol).
I've checked around the forums and have tried some fixes with no luck.

- The map works fine if I launch from the Editor (test mode)
- The map worked fine back in 1.29
- The map used mostly GUI with a JASS custom scripts

- Move the map to the documents folder (OSdisk/users/username/documents/Warcraft III/Maps/FrozenThrone/Scenario)
- Save the map using latest melee patch in map options
- Save the map using custom map data in map options
- Save the map as a folder
- Change the name of the map
- Create a new map and run it: it works (although I'll have to double check later this day)

- The map is ALSO in the ProgramFiles/Warcraft 3/Maps folder (so I've copied it in the documents folder but it's still there)
- If I run the old Wc3.exe (non x64) it works fine (I need to double check this one as well, I tested a few days ago and can't quite do it again right now)

Any help would be appreciated. I'll be able to provide more details if needed in a few hours.
Thanks in advance.
Did u fix the error

Level 1
I have tried creating a pathway to every destination Crusad3r91 mentioned, but none of them seem to work with the custom map, "The Black Road."

I haven't played that game in years and wanted to get started on it again but continuously receive an error when trying to load the map stating, "There was an error reading the map file."

Any suggestions, or does this have something to do with the map? I've tried two different versions too:
The Black Road 2.0
The Black Road 2.0.Ev3

Status
Not open for further replies.