• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WarBall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello! :grin:

I present to you a beta version of my WarBall mod and I am interested in what you think about it, so that I'll know better what to work on.

It is a 3v3 ball game divided into rounds. In each round, the teams try to get the ball, once it spawns, and then score a goal by bringing the ball past the opposing team's barricades. Once a goal is scored, the scoring team receives a level-up and a new round begins. The team to first score eight goals wins the match.

Each teams consists of up to three players. Quite a lot of work were put into a triggered AI that can both cooperate with users and play against them, so the teams can be mixed of users and AIs with no problem.

Each player controls one hero and a bunch of units. The hero carries over from round to round, but the units last only until the end of the round. At the beginning of the next round, players receive new gold, so that the units can be rebought, thus it is possible to play each round with units according to what the player is currently going to do.

This is a beta in a sense that there are still new concepts going to be added and a things to be remade or improved, but the current version of the map is consistent, should be bug-free and is perfectly playable.

Atm, the terrain is being improved and the item system is being remade from scratch.

For convenience, the game contains a cinematic tutorial. Just run the game with you as the red player only, with other player slots empty, and you'll be offered to run the tutorial. Same way you can run the Experiment Mode, where you can comfortably check out all the heroes, their abilities, items and so on.

Some screenies:

Battle over the middle ball spawn spot, where Tribal Chanter rules with his Totem of Stormwrath.

This time battle over the east ball spawn spot - the orange Priest is going to pawn this one with his Vortices draining the life of the enemy for mana used to heal the allied grunts.

A red Shifter is carrying the ball and aims for the blue barricade!

A blue Druid is passing the ball to the allied purple Scout, who's gonna go for a swift ball run.

The current version of the map is attached to this post. The version history can be tracked here.

I am all ears for what you think about the general concept, about any specific aspects, your bug reports and improvement suggestions :thumbs_up:

Attachments

• WarBall Beta 0.3.2.w3x
    597.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Level 2
Version 0.4 is out, bringing many new improvements!

Item system was reworked. Now every hero can have only one armor, one weapon, one pair of bracers, one pair of boots and one amulet. Moreover, some items are now restricted just to some hero classes. But more importantly, items can now be bought!

To take a quick peek at the new item system, enlarge this screenshot and follow with the 'Next' link at the top of the page:

There are more new screenshots in the gallery:

And as those of you who clicked some of the above links discovered, WarBall now has its own sexy site :fp:.

How tu use - once again instructions about how the game can be run:

• Tutorial - Run the game as a single-player game with you as the red player.
  • Experiment Mode - Again, run the game as a single-player game with you as the red player.
  • Match - Pretty straightforward :) You can assign control of anyone to the AI.

Status
Not open for further replies.