• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] War of the Spider: Threads of Conflict (DEMO)

Level 24
Titile.png

Story.png

The opening years of the War of the Spider were marked by an unrelenting cycle of conflict and border disputes among the various races that call Northrend home. Among these races, the Nerubians and the Ice Trolls stood out as particularly fierce combatants, as they both vied for territory and power to expand their empires.
Despite their long-standing animosity, events transpired that forced the Ice Trolls to take more desperate measures against the Nerubian Empire. It was at this pivotal moment that the true story of the War of the Spider began to unfold.

Features.png

• Choices: In this campaign, all missions will have an optional quest that will have an effect on the final mission or some missions in the future.
  • Playable Custom Race: Take control of the Living Nerubian, a completely new race offering new units, mechanics, and heroes.
  • Variable Difficulty: The player may choose Easy, Average, or Hard difficulty.
  • Completely AI Voiced: All cutscenes and in-game dialogue, and main heroes have custom AI voiced lines.
  • Challenge Mode: Beating all the missions on Hard difficulty unlocks Challenge Mode. Challenge Mode allows the player to choose an additional option after choosing the Hard Difficulty to enable additional challenges to the map. Beating these challenges grants Artifacts to the player on the following mission.
  • Secret Mission: Completing all Challenge Mode unlock a secret mission.

Screnshots.png

ezgif-2-197ff77d2c.gif
LN02.gif.gif
gifmaker_me.gif
gifmaker_me(1).gif

Vids.png

Notes.png

• This is a continuation from my War of the Spider campaign. Canonically, this campaign is set during the beginning of the war. Before the nerubians knew of the threat of the Lich King and his undead armies, but quickly realize the new enemy and rally to repel his forces.
  • You can expect the same goodies and quality as with my previous War of the Spider campaign which I will now dub "Fall of Azjol-Nerub."
  • So far I have the basic mission layout and story ideas completed. You can expect to face off against a more varied cast - Ice Trolls, Undead Scourge, Undead Nerubians, and Faceless Ones.
  • More advanced use of JassAi. I have been learning more and more advanced JassAi, so I can make a lot of the mission more interesting and complex to play and against.
  • Planning on having 5 playable heroes, but you'll never play with more than 3 at once. Its a design decision that I prefer. I am not a fan of having too many heroes to control at once.

Progress.png

• MISSION ONE: Border Disputes - [Completed]
  • MISSION TWO: A Widow's Plight - [Completed]
  • MISSION THREE: Desperate Message - [Completed]
  • MISSION FOUR: Disturbing the Nest - [Completed]
  • MISSION FIVE - A: Ancient Library - [Completed]
  • MISSION FIVE - B: Training Grounds - [In Progress]
  • MISSION FIVE: Death at the Door - [Incomplete]
  • MISSION SIX: Siege of Zul'drak - [Incomplete]
  • MISSION SEVEN: Twisted Web - [Incomplete]
  • MISSION EIGHT: Shadowed Skies - [Incomplete]
  • MISSION NINE: Unearth - [Incomplete]
  • MISSION TEN: Malignant Awakening - [Incomplete]
  • MISSION ELEVEN: The Deep Frontier - [Incomplete]
  • MISSION TWELVE: Icecrown - Part 1 - [Incomplete]
  • MISSION THIRTEEN: Icecrown - Part 2 - [Incomplete]
  • SECRET MISSION: Unnamed - [Incomplete]

DEMO: Download Here
Tech Tree.png

HiveLine.png
LivingNFeatures.png

Last edited:
Level 24
Well, if you think that, posting is pretty redundant.
But I think you'll get more traction if you also add some written stuff linked to the images.
Feels redundant, but its also something I can look back on and see the progress.
Noted.

The pics are are mission(s) 3, 4, 5A.

Mission three is a pure micro mission focused on traversing a battlefield where the Ice Trolls are being ravaged by the undead. Along the way you discover the various tactics that the undead use that links up to the WoW lore of the nerubians. Such as being immune to mind control or the plague.

Mission four takes you to an incubation area of Azjol-Nerub. The undead managed a surprise attack and its up to the player, controlling a new hero, to safeguard nests across the map. When the mission ends the player has a choice to either head to the Ancient Library, the Training Grounds, or proceed to the next main mission.

Mission 5A is a bonus mission set in the Ancient Library. Another micro mission with a lot of "blink" like puzzles. Aims to be a shorter mission.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Feels redundant, but its also something I can look back on and see the progress.
Well sure but I doubt you need a thread for it to post a random image now and then. Feels spammy without proper context. For such a thing you could simply have a folder on your computer with the pics in alphabetical or chronological order or use the site's Pastebin feature.

Thanks for putting on the details for each. Such design text pieces can definitely start a discussion leading to ideas and feedback. If you are afraid of spoiling, you can leave out the saucy stuff and present things in a more general way with less details or pinpointed info.

Level 24
Well sure but I doubt you need a thread for it to post a random image now and then. Feels spammy without proper context. For such a thing you could simply have a folder on your computer with the pics in alphabetical or chronological order or use the site's Pastebin feature.

Thanks for putting on the details for each. Such design text pieces can definitely start a discussion leading to ideas and feedback. If you are afraid of spoiling, you can leave out the saucy stuff and present things in a more general way with less details or pinpointed info.
Thanks for the input. If you, or anyone, has any ideas, let me know. :D

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
If you, or anyone, has any ideas, let me know.
Good thing you named the images like the missions are numbered.

LN03F could be turned into a 1v1 melee map with some editing, ha-ha.
Other than that seems pretty straight forward from the overview. Not sure what optional quests or stuff to do/explore are/is there, or if any potential for it.

In LN04G, do those subzones mean submaps? If so, can you get back the the main one to get to the next subone before heading to the next main?

I'm definitely most interested in LN05A-A6 after reading "puzzles". If you plan to have short missions, they should definitely be optional alongside the normal sized/duration ones. It's always hotter content to have entire optional maps than quests, yeah, but more painful to make in terms of time. Also, I think people would be more inclined to actually play optional stuff if it's maps rather than just quests.

Level 24
Good thing you named the images like the missions are numbered.

LN03F could be turned into a 1v1 melee map with some editing, ha-ha.
Other than that seems pretty straight forward from the overview. Not sure what optional quests or stuff to do/explore are/is there, or if any potential for it.

In LN04G, do those subzones mean submaps? If so, can you get back the the main one to get to the next subone before heading to the next main?

I'm definitely most interested in LN05A-A6 after reading "puzzles". If you plan to have short missions, they should definitely be optional alongside the normal sized/duration ones. It's always hotter content to have entire optional maps than quests, yeah, but more painful to make in terms of time. Also, I think people would be more inclined to actually play optional stuff if it's maps rather than just quests.
LN03 is pretty straight forward. My previous campaign didn't have much in the way of micro missions, so I wanted a few here. There is a pretty important side quest though.

LN04 I mean submaps. You can only choose one side path per playthrough. You could try to the other but the progress of one will overwrite the other. After you finish one submap you'll go to the true mission 5. There will be a small bonus if you choose to avoid the bonus areas, but really nothing too substantial.

Each of the bonus maps will grant a different bonus for the final mission, kinda like the Undead Nerubian campaign.

EVENTUALLY, I plan on updating my Undead campaign to better fit some narrative beats and improve overall quality.

Level 5
Hi!

Just wanted to say i really Like both campaigns, I think I prefer "Live" spiders as a race tho :D.
I'm looking forward to play it all.
5/5 from me, voice acting, diffrent quotes, abilities, synergies.
Love it.

PS Webspinners are OP.

Level 2
have you updated the link to demo? i can't run missions past 3rd.
anyways, quick feedback:
nice 1st hero, the only problem i see is low int growth with big agi growth, mb by design idk.
egg spawning spider can bug out if set on follow and used W, reproducible in close range easily
some abilities are too mana hungry
just like in your undead campaign some abilities are look like it's a PvP ones from WoW, but you manage to tweak 'em down properly so i like them. Those are: spider's nets, W of 1st hero, and Q of melee bugs, compared to "-75% dmg done" of spying bug or "40% speed(attack) reduction in AoE" E + Q from last hero of undead campaign.
So new one are nice, good job

Level 24
have you updated the link to demo? i can't run missions past 3rd.
anyways, quick feedback:
nice 1st hero, the only problem i see is low int growth with big agi growth, mb by design idk.
egg spawning spider can bug out if set on follow and used W, reproducible in close range easily
some abilities are too mana hungry
just like in your undead campaign some abilities are look like it's a PvP ones from WoW, but you manage to tweak 'em down properly so i like them. Those are: spider's nets, W of 1st hero, and Q of melee bugs, compared to "-75% dmg done" of spying bug or "40% speed(attack) reduction in AoE" E + Q from last hero of undead campaign.
So new one are nice, good job
The demo wont be update for a little while.

Thnaks for your input. I know nothing about WoW, I just use the icons I like.

Level 2
The demo wont be update for a little while.

Thnaks for your input. I know nothing about WoW, I just use the icons I like.
Pity that i wont put my hands on rest of the cool campaign in near future. Keep up the good work, i like your story telling. About wow: i tried to say that debuffs a bit too powerful for rts (imho), nothing aggressive towards your design or icons.