• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

War Games: Brainstorming Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
'Sup everyone.

Really really unsure if this'll work, but here it goes.

I've been kicking around taking a project seriously I've dubbed "War Games".
I've done a "War Games" series before on SC BW and I would like to bring it to Warcraft 3 due to its so much more advanced editor. I know none has most likely ever heard of War Games so just to elaborate:
War Games was a series of maps I made that were mere experiments on creating drastically chaotic RTS play. SC was already intense, War Games made it even more intense. There were some good points and bad points. For one, the games were long despite the speed and fury of combat surpassing that of even SC. Some ppl like that, some dont.
Another, which is disputable as to which point it goes under, is that the games requires talent in tactics and not APM. The weight of choices you made were much much much more substantial than in SC BWs standard game types.
My noob friends could actually stand up me and my trainer (2 noobs vs 1 semi pro and true pro) because of simple tactics and not just micro moves.

Now, just to lay this out, SC BWs maps were RTS purely. You built, you conquered. My current WC3 brainstorm is to make it more... personal. Same goals, but different mechanics.
The game will behave much like a mixture of AoS with 2 sides (the map type name escapes me *sigh*)

I've decided to mash ideas from games like WiC and EndWar to the concept. I'll explain more.

Players will choose from 2 unique factions, each with their own strengths and weaknesses in units available (heard that before)

From then you will choose your avatar in the form of a Hero* type unit. There will be several classes.

Once done, you will then spend money affording your squad/battalion; choosing from your sides varied and unique unit types.

Each unit will vary in its roles, purposes and uses.

The units you select will then follow your avatar. Here's where it gets alittle tricky.

When your commander moves, they move to random positions in a limited radius around your avatar. You can control their movements slightly through formation type skills that your avatar will possess, such as:
Hold Ground - Your men will stay still when idle and will gaurd thier position.
Advance - Your men will form a front ahead of your avatar and attack move to those points to mimic being aggressive.
Pullback - Your men will back up from engagement every so often to "kite" opposing forces.
Charge - Your men will "Advance", but also move forward every so often to gain ground and to cose the distance more rapidly between them and the enemy.
Withdrawl - Your men will disengage any contact with the enemy and pullback out've their range if possible.

The points in which your followers move to are offset by your avatars position, so naturally, if you choose not to move with your men, they'll only go so far.

The team you choose will have a computer player acting as HQ. It will control the bulk of your teams armies, simply by sending them to their deaths AoS style; though it will randomely choose to focus on certian objective points at times.

Your goal is to work with your teamates (Other players) and their battalions under cover fire of the comp controled masses to undermine the battle field with swift tactics to take and hold zones, infiltrate and capture objectives/data and or disable or destroy hardpoints such as COMSAT Centers, Supply Lines, Ammunitions Depot, Airfeilds and more.

Completing objectives will have more than one result. Some will grant acces to other unit types. Others will began to spawn a whole new forward base of operations. For instance, if the enemy takes out your COMSAT, your team will suffer massive pingage on your minimap, garbeling it untill a new one is put in place.
Also-
In a manner similar to EndWar's DEFCON point system, you gain points based on the battle's statistics. If you're losing, you'll recieve more to get more reinforcments to where as, if your winning you start recieving less so reinforcements are harder to afford. You do recieve extra points for accomplishing objectives mentioned above; still rewarding you for your performance.

Theme: Wacky post-mordern style. We're talking Warhawk-ish (PS3) look.
I'm currently developing artwork that mashes modern technology (VTOL, Lazers, blah blah blah) with WW2 Grit and 1950s Space Age military designs. Think Resistance: Fall of Man - take the 1940s and 50s and throw in technology from 2010 to 2050? There ya go.

Control Scheme: Camera is locked on your avatar and you will retain most of your RTS power, such as selecting and moving troops individually. You're abilities will be focused on being Large Macro type ones wrather than smaller micro ones. Artillery Strikes, Air Strikes, Mass Drops, Evacs; these are very large, heavy options for you to use that effect en masse.

Gameplay Style: Ment to be experimental again, like my War Games before hand. Things will deal MASSIVE damage and will not have alot of health to survive it. Counters will also be much more dramatic. For example, infantry, unless armed for the job, will do absolutely nothing to tank armour. The gameplay however will hopefully also be largely tangible feeling. Right now troops can actively miss their intended target all together but hit others close by it (accuracy system). Tanks can run over enemies. I'm whishing to add more options to get more of that feel.

I'm asking for critiques on the idea as I'll need some extensive help if people seem interested. I've got the War3ModelEditor and do nicely at making partical effects, but I have a very hard time at animating (When I change one frame, the whole model flips backwords on my application. I dont know why). I cannot skin, yet. I do have Photoshop and I've "Edited" exported WC3 skins before, but only limitedly. And lastly, I'm not too great with GUI and don't know JASS.
I've tried making units follow your avatar by moving to random offset points to no avail. I've succeeded in making an accuracy system however with the help of Eccho. By inlarge, my knowledge is still pretty freaking limited. I'd love to learn all this myself by most of the maps featuring mechanics that I'd which to use are locked; thwarting me. I figured that doing a project with interest of this nature, with community help? Is my best bet to improve myself.
Hopefully this post gets some feedback, and I'll spill out more of my details.

If you'd like to see raw screenies and or my current art work for this brainstormed project, let me know and I'll get on that right away.

Peace - GLHF

Level 15
This idea is stupendous. I'm too busy with my own project (and school, mind you) to help out, but your ideas are very interesting! Post some screenshots. I'd like to see what terrain you've got so far.

Level 5
Control Scheme: Camera is locked on your avatar and you will retain most of your RTS power, such as selecting and moving troops individually. You're abilities will be focused on being Large Macro type ones wrather than smaller micro ones. Artillery Strikes, Air Strikes, Mass Drops, Evacs; these are very large, heavy options for you to use that effect en masse.

Camera locked on your Hero? This map sounds like you need a lot of overview locking the camera doesn't sound good.

The rest sound promising

Level 3
Camera locked on your Hero? This map sounds like you need a lot of overview locking the camera doesn't sound good.

The rest sound promising

That is a recognized issue. I would love for it to be this way yet not hamper gameplay constrictively, but since your units are only allowed to go a certian distance around your avatar, to me it didn't seem futile.
The cam will be somewhat controllable, using the arrow keys.
Left and right will quickly pan the camera coraspondingly and up and down will allow for zooms. The actions will be quick to not interfere with the control scheme. No slow panning.
Further more, The zoom is planned to let you see farther than your battalions operational radius.
Lastly, certian units allow the camera to move differently. The Comsat Officers (which call down strikes) can "Observe areas", like a map reveal. The camera will snap to the location requested while the ability is channled. You'll still be able to freely control your units even during the ability's duration but your cam will be locked to the "Obverved Area" point of view, unless the ability decays or is otherwise canceled.

Nerzhul: I'll get that ASAP, the first map is planned to be a desert scene. My maps for it right now are simply to test/learn how to even trigger certian things. I'm having fun simply getting turrets on tanks to work (I got the turrets to rotate, but the unit can't fire while moving... hm.)

I'll set up some demo shots of the planned terrain, aswell as hopefully get some concept art posted. I wish to make custom models for this thing.

Level 5
I love this idea, a lot. I would gladly help you out with anything you need, within the best of my ability. I've mastered GUI and have no idea how to work JASS, but I can help you with any of the "manual labor" needed in this project. I'll handle any of the triggers you can't figure out. I can also get any voices that you may need, using my voice software that I have to create aliens or soldier sounds.

Level 3
Hey, just an update on this brain storm.

I've done little work on the idea lately. I got pummled by snow but still need work. My gf has missed days due to being very ill so money got tight and still is. Sorry about the delay. I don't have screenies yet, but the ones that are very old. Old as in being the first ones the first day I messed with the iea.
I've done more storming on the details such as Enviromental effects - be it sand storms or blizzards. Tossing this around as it can get alittle in the way but could also add some random detials for players to adapt on the fly to. I've also layered out more details on objective/goals/mechanics.

Players get normal "stashes" of supply based on their team's state of winning or losing. This is judged by the amount of supplies arriving on a supply line(s).
Supply lines will be tangable. They were be routes approaching bases from off the map. Enemies can raid them.
Radar Shut down when you lose your side's COMSAT CENTRE has been revised to simply shutting down shared vision of players and your CPU HQ Forces. Pinging would be... eh hem. Over the top.

Weapon Types proposed
AP Anti Personel - Good against armored infantry types. Can go through targets.
HP Anti Personel - Massive damage to infantry type, but cannot hit any armor.
HE Anti Personel - AoE massive damage to any infantry types, even armored.
AP Anti Armor - Used against heavy armor. Will kill infantry, but used primarely on Armored vehicals. None explosive (no AoE)
HE Anti Armor - Moderately effective at peircing heavy armor. Though it does not peirce as well, it gains use with its splash damage. Effective at hitting bunkered down infantry and light vehicals.

AP - armor peircing
HP - hollow point
HE - high explosive

Basic Unit list

Basic Infantry - Matches up other infantry. Also will use secondaries like grenades for HE uses.

Shock Infantry - Specialized agiainst infantry via heavy machine guns or flame throwers.

Assault Infantry - Infantry armed with anti-armor weapons.

Medic Infantry - Infantry capable of healing other infantry.

Com Officers - Infantry using scouting abilities and is responcable for the Call Downs.

Field Comander - Your avatar.

Mechanized Infantry - Light vehicals. Good at fire support. There will be two types depending; ones anti-infntry, the other is anti-armor. Both are fast, great at scouting, but easy to take out. Can hold 2 extra infantry which can fire out've the vehical. (least thats the plan)

APC/Light Tank - Acts as a minimal transport and acting as armor fire support. Weapons are general use, moderate against either infantry or armor.

MBT - Main Battle Tank. Its a tank. Its hard to kill and does easy killin'.

VTOLs - Air support, in the form of th VTOL fighters that you call down to strife things with. These VTOLs are Air Calvary and act much like helicopters. Fast, furious, lots of firepower in the form of AP and HE weapons. Just easy to kill in the event that Anti-Air shares up.

Ricoman I'll reply to you when I can via pms.

Level 3
I've buckled down on concept work, or trying. I've got massive artist blockage in my head. I've done so many pages of one soldier design? o_O;;;;

I'll post some pics here soon, but just to run it by: The concepts added alot of Middle Ages or, Classical Era details to it. The one particular design I was focusing on was an Infantry's armor style. It was blocky, it was bulky, rivet pelted. It was also... strikingly 300 influenced. yeah, what the hell right?
The dude was like a modern spartan. Wasn't very 50s but hey. What would be anyones opinions on having modern themed 300 style visuals? Could still mash it with post WW2, 50s gear. But, just a run by. When I find either a new cable for my camera or the memory card, I'll post up a sketch.

Level 15
That's actually a rather unique. I am a fan of bulky armor, after all. Regardless, you should do whatever you think is best. It's your project, not ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.