• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Walkable bridge question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hello, I am making Minas Tirith and i wanted to know what would be the best way to have units pass under the large rock outcropping in the middle of the city while still allowing units to be on top. I know i could use way gates, but way gates have a large area of effect and I've noticed that if i don't put them a good ways away from the tunnel entrance itself, then units on top of the structure will use the way gate also. Can i reduce the range that way gates move units from, so that they have to be right next to them? Thanks for your time!

Here's a picture of it!

232885-albums8652-picture105281.png

Level 28
You could remove the texture of this bridge model in the object editor, that will allow unit to go under the bridge, as for the unit above the bridge, they must be flying unit, set the function in the OB for those units

The easiest way (and best looking imo) would be to just use regions as gates. Simple trigger for units going under the bridge. But, yes, you can also change the distance of the waygate ability range (I think - didn't check). In any event, I recommend this because you won't get stuck on it and spend lots of time when other things in your project are likely more important. You might look into creating a shadow for the unit to disappear into before moving out the other side. With my region suggestion, you could also make the camera follow the unit across to the other side (pan camera). You could also pull the doorway out from the outcropping a little more so that the unit could go completely underneath and disappear, rather than watching it disappear like a transporter.

Status
Not open for further replies.