• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

W3IR - Tool for bordering and auto-image renaming and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi!

I managed to develop a tool that may help a user automatically rename loads of images (either editable or BLP just as well) and provide individual border layers as well as actions, all for Photoshop users.
The program is also able to add the right border automatically to the images you select, independently from Photoshop or any other program!!!

One problem...
VGSatomi denied it... So I am now facing a strange situation: either discard the loss of nearly 1 month of developing and algorithm designing or press on ith it and try again...

What do you think? Should I take a crack at it? People not familiar with Photoshop or not having a system "strong" enough for Photoshop or simply not having it would benefit from this tool. It's below 1 MB in its current state and can do more than what I mentioned above.

I would greatly appreciate if you'd also reply specifying why yoo think I should act in that manner.

Thanks in advance!
EoF.BlackDoom;

Level 2
can you use the MPQmaster to delete the (PROTECTING MAP) files?
if you could, how? please tell me, TY

Level 9
W3IR is now available!

As the server is now available - thanks Ralle for all the effort he put in this undertaking - I guess it's ok with this.

I hope it will prove to be useful.

For usage details, please take a (good) look at the (impressive) documentation.
E-mail as a last-resort option. Post here any questions... or anything else...

I'd be thrilled to get some feedback from you all, to find out what you think about this.

It may seem difficult to use, but I swear it's not!

Cheers!

Level 9
Thanks, ragingspeedhorn!

The program is complete, as I see things...
Read the documentation for further details.

I now have 1 more week then my examination session will begin (2 weeks).
No more developing...

Hope you'll enjoy working with W3IR! And hopefully it will get approved! :p

Level 9
I'll do that as soon as I can.

Who is in charge with moderating the Tools section?
I am curious when moderators will take a look at W3IR... And more than curious to see it approved...

Anyway, hope I'll have at least your support!

Edit:

Nasty... I cannot register nor login to wc3campaigns.net. If I did registered some other time - I did not use my current e-mail address... So - I cannot upload it... Who should I contact in order to check if that account belongs to someone else or I typed an incorrect address when I first registered?

Edit2:

No, that's not my account - and I cannot find BlackDoom on wc3campaigns.net... WTF?

Last edited:
Level 32
This is a handy item to have in your Warcraft III toolbox. I found the "Add Borders" feature to be the most useful - it's a snap to convert an active icon image into a disabled, passive or autocast type. This process is far easier and faster than manually adding the borders with the PS icon layer tool.

The renaming of files is a bit tricky. Even with the help of a VERY informed friend, I experienced some difficulty inputting the correct Suffix strings.

The documentation included with this software is extensive and detailed.

The only improvement that I might suggest would be adding a "Help" button or menu containing the tutorial portion of the readme.txt.

Level 9
Documentation is the thing that kills me right now. The "in-GUI" shortcuts to specific documentation sections are quite killing me.

No development will be done this coming week as I am not at my place anymore.

Now W3IR has support for 32/24bpp images (no flaws).
An interface bug was removed.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Level 32
Any new progress to report?

How goes your recent progress on the documentation BlackDoom?

When will the HTMLs be ready? Will they be included with the next release? When?

Integrating the docs into the GUI interface must be no small task. How much aspirin have you consumed... how many computers have yo smashed?

Level 9
Well... the documentation progress goes on awful...
I put some high hopes on this weekend...
The Phoenix icons I'll submit I'm supposed to draw this weekend and I hope to have enough time to finish the tutorials (a lot of crop and save and manually HTML and CSS editing...).

No aspirin and no PCs were harmed during the development of the new W3IR documentation! :D
Yes, the new HTML doc will be included in the future release.
And the integration with the GUI is not so complicated but complex, as I must add so many handles to so many specific in-readme locations...

Other than that... Coke (Pepsi actually) and patience...

Cheers!

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I haven't tried this yet, but it seems very useful and practical. Always good to see new tools popping up.

Level 9
It seems I can only work during holidays. Too sad...
I can't find time nor resources to do what I want... though I tried...
Next holidays for me come in 2 weeks. 1 week of work, so in a month (tops) a new version of W3IR will be available.

I am so sorry I am delaying it so much...

Level 9
Yes, I know, I am being well TOO over enthusiastic about W3IR and I do not have a realistic scheduling style, but I have come a long way with W3IR since I first released it.

The documentation is nearly ready, but I have a hard time working on it - as I am not at home, at my PC, but at the damn dormitory, on some guy's PC, where I cannot simply install whatever crosses my mind.

I also go to college - so I don't have the time I want and need to program.

The bloody HTML documentation is nearly completed, all it needs now are the performance tests, that I may only run after I have completed the build of the tool itself. That's not too hard to do, but I tweak the code and try to implement more things. As I try to use nice resources for a pleasant visual aspect, I also do my best in testing what is the best graphical format to store them into, so that they may occupy a minimum amount of space.

Want some screenshots of the new ReadMe.htm???

This versions new features: 32bit images allowed for input; many GUI flaws fixed; a part of an algorithm has been fixed; implemented restrictions so you may only input 64x64 or 48x48.

I am also trying to implement what feature I want with the most efficient code that I may bring up. For instance, the restriction I specified above; right now, if I would let the code as it is, you would have double data-transfer from your HDD when the proper files are processed - that is, a good file would be loaded twice. It does the job, but I don't like it how it does it, so I need to find a better way - and I did find one, and I expect to implement it this weekend.

Then again, the ReadMe contains URLs to where the update WILL BE - so I need to finish the packege, get it uploaded, then GET ITS URL AND PUT IT BACK IN THE PACKAGE! And that is a guess-call... What are the chances of success? Nil.

Anyway, will get back to you decently soon.
Development and maintenance are dirty jobs, as they tend to expand in time.

Thanks, anyway, for keeping an eye on me!

Level 9
As I said - and I must say I am so sad to see that only few did (that is, nearly no one) - feedback is a very important answer. This way, one can learn that he/she did something wrong or right... In my case, this would only help me improve this damn thing.

It's meant to be useful... if you people don't tell me what it lacks, then... I cannot cover every case of its use. So... Forum or PM or comments or... you choose!

Level 32
The included documentation and the new ReadMe.htm are, without a doubt, among the most complete and thorough software support and consumer feedback systems that I have ever seen.

The new ReadMe is detailed and powerful in the EXTREME!

[broke=+ REP !]BlackDoom[/broke]

Level 17
can you use the MPQmaster to delete the (PROTECTING MAP) files?
if you could, how? please tell me, TY

Umm, no, we can't, that's an operation that if you read the site rules, you'd know not to discuss. People like you deserve to be shot for even attempting such... Noobishness! Why do you want to unprotect a map? If its to get a few resources eg. Uploaded Models, then that's fine, you shouldn't touch anything else, only "Import Manager" people who steal triggers and units or even edit a tiny thing (make a hero for them that is rigged) and put thier name on it or even re-publish the edited and unprotected map deserve to be banned, have thier CDKEYs disabled and whatnot! People protect thier maps so noobs like yourself can't do what your trying to do! You cant delete files from maps with MPQ Master anyway, you can only extract imported files!

Sorry for the off-topicness! Nice tool!

Level 32
Hey BlackDoom. Users are experiencing some difficulties with the use of W3IR.

I dl-ed W3IR for icons, there are tons of text in the tutorial. Could anyone tell me a more direct way to make an icon with BTN and DISBTN having it already in 64x64 bmp? Step by step. Ok I select image type, Out n' Input folders, then what should I put in 'Please Select the target image naming conversion', BTN suffix string and DISBTN ~, PASBTN~,DISPASBTN I need only BTN and DISBTN. Let's say my file is IconName.bmp . What should I type in each space, what should I click, and what's with RGB Scamble do I need it at all? Use the IconName.bmp to tell me where I should type what. Yes I'll add the ordinary borders that every icon should have. How?
Indeed there ARE some complications with the use of W3IR in regards to the naming conventions. BlackDoom himself once coached me through the process: sorry I have since forgotten his instructions. I will post in his thread to make him aware of this one. W3IR - Tool for bordering and auto-image renaming and more

When you publish the next upgrade, would it be possible to include an option that would dispense altogether with the renaming and allow users to add the borders only without being required to figure out the naming conventions?

Level 9
@ Impac7:

#1. Mate, when you want to border images, you do not do this from the renaming window. The tutorial for this is included in the 5th chapter - look for the "Bordering a set of 64x64 input images" section. That should be enough.

I thought it would be obvious not to do that. Read the 3rd chapter to learn what elements do the windows of W3IR have and what do they tell you.

#2. The 4th chapter does contain a whole lot of text - but please, folks - notice the colors used and that I did my best in trying to keep the items with the same significance having the same color throughout the chapter. That, to make use of your subconscious' behavior - that correlates colors with meanings and more.

I put all the technical info I could in the most efficient way possible - both user-friendly and engineer-relevant.

If anyone can re-think it - have fun, folks! Formating HTML and CSS by hand in over 200 000 characters is really fun to do in your spare time!

Anyway - I am changing the subject.

Ufa... Am I really supposed to go through it over and over again?

1) Start W3IR (W3IR.exe).
2) Click "Add borders".
3) Select the input folder (left tree-view).
4) Select the output folder (right tree-view).
5) Select the dimensions of the files to be processed (64x64 or 48x48).
6) Check the BTN and DISBTN checkboxes, so they both show "Yes" within.
7) Specify valid suffixes for the border types you chose (I usually type "_0" for BTN and "_1" for DISBTN).
Read the "A suffix may only identify one distinct icon format" section of the 4th chapter.
8) Select the target image type (Bitmap - in your case).
9) This step is optional. You can select whether or not to have all images share a string marker, whether to delete or not the input files when all is done or the JPEG quality if you have PSD input files.

When all the required data is inputed correctly, the "Border images" button will become available. When it does, click it. A message concerning data-safety precautions will be issued - click "Ok" (or "Yes", not having the source code at hand right now) to proceed.

That's it. You could have learned this from the ReadMe file.
I think that document is put there to provide enough technical support for users so that they won't need to personally contact me. nor any other THW moderator/admin.

My point is: if you don't bother reading those "tons of text" I made available there, then it's your problem. And you should not and I may claim you must not make it anyone else's problem. Because, if you were just too cozy about it, why would anyone else loose their time to explain it to you?

Have I been sarcastic, acid? If yes - good, because your coziness just ate up over 30 minutes of my life. :) And it is this time that you cannot give me back. Ever. And this is what upsets me :(.

#3. Renaming.
a) Read the 4th chapter. Again. :)
b) If got past a) or just skipped to b), let's go.

Step 1) Select the target image type.
Step 2) Select the input folder.
Step 3) Select the output folder.
Step 4) Type a naming convention.
For your sake, type a valid one, in order to generate optimum results. Read the "What is a naming convention or naming mask" section of the 4th chapter.

You said you have your file named "IconName.bmp". Well, W3IR only needs the "IconName" in that name to generate the correct naming layouts. Why? Again, chapter 4.

The above 2 types of borders would have generated these files:

IconName_0.bmp
IconName_1.bmp

in the output folder.

In the main window of W3IR, type this naming convention:
$$$$$$$$%%

This naming mask will let W3IR produce these files:
BTNIconName.bmp for the IconName_0.bmp file;
DISBTNIconName.bmp for the IconName_1.bmp file.

Why? Again, read the functions of various characters in the naming mask, why the naming mask has a specific length and so on... Where? In the 4th chapther of the ReadMe.htm document in the W3IR folder.

Step 5) Specify a complete and valid set of suffixes for all the types of borders.

Yup, all of 'em. Mind you, the only ones that MUST be correct are those of the BTN and DISBTN images you previously had generated. Thus, you can specify these suffixes:
"_0" for the BTN suffix;
"_1" for the DISBTN suffix;
"XX" for the PASBTN suffix;
"99" for the DISPASBTN suffix.

Why you have to do this? Again, in chapter 4. W3IR will check if the input files have any of the specified suffixes. If they have, it will rename them properly. If not, nothing will happen - except perhaps a warning message that you are free to discard.

Step 6) You may now select other actions (as whether or not to keep the original files and so on).

Step 7) Click the "Rename files" button.

#4. The RGB Scrambling is a feature that intends to allow an icon designer to see what effects some basic color manipulation actions have on their design (64x64 bitmap image). You are free not to use it.

---------------------

These being said, I hope that what I wrote here will prove useful and you will be able to fulfill your actions using W3IR. I now look over my shoulder and "mourn" the time gone by me whilst editing this post...

Cheers, folks, vote for THW and help each other.

@ Wolverabid:

Thanks a lot, mate for the trouble you put yourself in for W3IR! I will try my best to help you out with what I can both as a THW user and as a moderator, as long as I will occupy this position here, on THW. :)

And yes, a quick option is intended this summer. Here: "Support for "one-click" processing - just by specifying I/O file settings (locations, formats), conversion options (images to BLP) and border types" - in the 8th chapter, "Future features". ;)

P.S.:
1) I hope I have not just become one of the top candidates for negative reputation for my apparently aggressive attitude toward a fellow THW user. But when you have some resources right under your nose but you'd rather ask someone else how to do something, it's not fair toward the one you ask for help.

2) Read those lines, people. I spent my time writing them with a purpose. Don't ignore them - they are my work as much as W3IR is, and they are a part of the W3IR project as a whole.

Level 7
Lol Blackdoom, I'm not silly to think bordering is done from renaming window, what do you think I am, a pan cake?And I couldn't do feedback until I have what I want. :)

Also don't feel bad if some don't read everything you made in the tut, I spent months on a map that I deleted with one push of the button hearing SCII is the announced game. :) Yeah I wasted a lot of time, but whether I would leave it when I get SCII or delete it, does it matter? SCII says 'GG war3 maps'. Hahah I only missed 'Please Select Target Image Type' but since you have done it close to 48x48 I thought this was an option for 48x48 images only ^^

From me you have 10/10. I haven't tried other progs, but seeing this offers more than bordering and the bordering itself is just few clicks, I guess it is the best of the existing icon programs so far.

Last edited:
Level 9
Well, mate, don't take it personally because I am not having any hard-feelings after it. I explained myself in my previous post so...

Sorry about your loss. I know the feeling - how many items haven't I deleted so far... :(

Cheers

P.S.: Did my previous post help you in your task?

Last edited:
Level 9
I have implemented the renaming feature as an answer to one of my needs a while ago. This is how W3IR came to life. This is why it's called "Icon Renamer". If I'd strip it off it's feature, I should rename it again, which would turn it into something else...

Anyway - I find that feature useful - for me at least. I will keep it there, but I will enhance the other features of W3IR.

Level 7
About my map, I don't say you must have any hard feelings, I meant that you also shouldn't take the loss of time for making the tutorial so seriously. I meant that I deleted my map with indifference, I just don't care how much time it took me, I love getting rid of things.

Your prevous post was not needed actually, I figured it out from your tutorial how to do that (as it is the same as your post but with screenshots). And there is np renaming the files because you have to rename them like BTNYourImage and DISBTNYourImage anyway, especially if you want the file name to be something else to correspond exactly to the ability or unit. So you must be very lazy not to like doing that, afterall the program offers you to create more than one file into BTN and DISBTN, as all images in the same folder are converted.

Status
Not open for further replies.