• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Voice Acting - Advanced Tutorial

Level 19

Voice Acting Advanced Tutorial

Things you'll need

Converters

• Purchasable/Free
  • Converter Information
    • Converters take file types that are unusable for certain (gaming) situations, for instance, a program may have a custom file type that it saves it's file in. (For Instance) Pivot Stick Figure Animator saves files as .Piv, and requires converters to make them usable as .Gifs. But in sounds, it's actually much more complicated, and more file types are used for sounds.

Recorders

• Purchasable/Trial Only
  • Free
    • Sound Recorder (Comes with Windows Vista and Windows XP)
    • Hi-Q Recorder
  • Recorder Information
    • Recorders are used to save the sound of your voice so that you can listen to or use it in many different ways. They are also used for accents that may play a positive role in Voice Acting for video games.

Terms and tips

Voice Acting isn't something you just do, you have to also bend it and shape it into exactly what you want it to sound or be like. You can't just let it go once it is "almost bearable" to hear. Make it great, expand your knowledge through practice and speech.​

How To Speak into a Microphone (Stationary)
Don't mess this up, you have the privilege of having a microphone that you don't have to bend like clay to make into a usable device.​

Here's a list of dos and don'ts for Stationaries
  • No Hearable Breathing (This Means Pause with you recordable, don't try to go without air.)
  • Pause in between Sentences (You May even go in with an editor or splicer to help you if you can't do it yourself.)
  • Use Accents (No one wants to hear the same voice over, and over, and over again.)
  • No Spitting (Except when performing an action that has something to do with the character or voice.)

How To Speak into a Microphone (Portable)
Oh... if you are planning on having an "easy" career in Voice Acting, don't use these. However, if you want a cheap way to get your voice on record, then use/buy away!​

Here's a list of dos and dont's for Portables
  • No Hearable Breathing (This Means Pause with you recordable, don't try to go without air.)
  • Pause in between Sentences (You May even go in with an editor or splicer to help you if you can't do it yourself.)
  • Use Accents (No one wants to hear the same voice over, and over, and over again.)
  • No Spitting (Except when performing an action that has something to do with the character or voice.)
  • Make Sure to Edit (You will need too, sometimes it seems like there is no static when there really is.)
  • Use a Good Angle (Make sure to get your mouth in the proper position so the sound will be recorded without static.)
  • Update (If you must because you cannot use Portables, purchase and install a stationary.)

Practice Sessions

For Practice, do this (Male)
Record yourself doing all of these voices, fix them up, and then practice making them better.
Start talking after the first ", and stop after the second ". Then move onto another character.

JERRY (Heavy-male Voice): "We must go, for the academy of the magical and divine arts is boring me and my brother. Is there anything wrong with my decision?"
YELI (Very-soft-male Voice): "You are a boar! The professors said you wouldn't be into the magical arts, and they were right! (Spits)"
JERRY (Heavy-male Voice): "You're right... (sighs) I'm good for nothing. And I never will be."​

For practice, do this (Female)
Record yourself doing all of these voices, fix them up, and then practice making them better.
Start talking after the first ", and stop after the second ". Then move onto another character.

SARAH (light-blond-female voice): "I want to go, this place gives me the creeps!"
REGAH (medium-loud-female voice): "Come on (sarcastically yells)! Don't be such a dork!"
JERRY (Heavy-male Voice): "Fine... I guess you're right, last one to the corn maze is a rotten egg (tapping on shoulder noise)!"​

Alright, I hope this helps you guys out. I'm still working on it, I might even add more practice courses.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's it, I'm dead now.

*cries in a corner and then shoots a bullet into his head*

Diction should be practiced as well, otherwise, you might not be understood and some letters might be pronounced weird. Hm, you said "How to speak into a microphone" and you just said blah blah dont buy this blah blah you have the privilege, but there is nothing on HOW. Merging our tuts could be nice :)

Level 24
I think this seems to be a rather promising tutorial. I wouldn't call it that advanced, but useful nonetheless. My only real advice that I can give you is to fix what Pyritie mentioned above. Other than that, I see no reason not to approve this tutorial.