• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Virus Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Virus Infection:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/maps/6506/
Infect and kill an entire person as a Virus.

Some backround info on this map: This is build 2 of this map, I redid it becouse it was popular for some reason. Everyone I talked to directly on this forum seemed to know me for it. It freaked me out cause that was a pretty old map. So I started build 2.

This map is in a Beta Stage, but is fully playable. The win conditions arn't fully done yet, so I simplified it for this version. In this version, its kill the brain to win. In the future versions i'm going to change it, so by damageing major organs you raise the body temperature to a fatal point.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the map comments were becoming a bit cluttered with bugs and suggestions so I opened a thread here to leave feedback / bug reports / suggestions on how to fix said bug reports / map suggestions and suchforth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plans:
-Create a system where by damaging organs the body temperature gets raised up to a point of death.
-I am trying to setup a board that displays each organs health percentage and the current body temperature. (I'm having trouble so if anyone can do this...)
-Find and remove bugs and leaks (i really have no idea what a leak is or how it occurs. Chances are my maps are full of them.)
-Fix up tooltips and map description
-Multiple difficulties
-Moar units and upgrades (I've noticed good games generally have teching that goes on through most of the game, but is not all needed to win.)
EX} In the first version virus adaptations were the only multilevel upgrade, was expensive and was purchased throughout the game even though it was possible to win by adaptation 6 or 7 out of 10.

Updates:
-From build one, i made a MUCH more efficient system of spawning guys that didn't end up with a "blood clot"

Questions:
1) Should there be heroes? I never included heroes in the original version. However someone must have edited the map to include heroes becouse people have asked me when I am going to put back in heroes. (As well as that i like to keep my maps unprotected.) So if you want heroes, tell me about the ones in the version you played and if you liked them as is, or should i create my own. (if they should be included). Or better yet if you have a modified version of the game on your cpu with the heroes email it to me and I will look at the changes made.
2) Anyone have ideas for units / spells / body defences?

Email me at [email protected]
Check out new versions at the Hive Workshop OR at velex27.googlepages.com

Level 34
Well a slight problem in the early version is that the body cells easiely overmassed themselves. They just come from the heart, go to an arm to the end and then just head back plus they keep spawning.

Level 7
Currently that is fixed. The current triggered AI will have units target an infected cell, attempt destroy it, then return to the brain/heart if they succede. If they get killed a new one will spawn in twenty seconds. This limits the total number on the map and prevents massive "clogged heart" syndrome.

As the game goes on, different units are added to the system.
Once one player builds his first structure, it will begin a countdown and 12 WBC's will spawn after 120 seconds. Then later on in the game antibodies / pills and such forth get added into the system, with their own starting/retuning points and respawn times. Important units, like the pill will cause a message to appear that anounces its arrival.

Level 12
Alright, I'll just say this is one of the best game made for wc3. I love how simple it is, yet it has many strategies. Now for suggestions:

Hero's really did make the older one I played more fun, even if you weren't the one who added them in. Having a hero could produce many benefits, and makes a more interesting start. Starting with a hero just seems more interesting than starting with a regular unit. There are also many different spells that you could incorporate that would make the game so much more interesting. Ex: Evolve: Causes all allied units within a 300 radius to evolve there genes to fit in more with the body's natural defenses. (Causes them all to wind walk for a bit.)
That was just an idea on spot, but it could make it more interesting.

Something else you could do is make it so many different viruses may be chosen from in the beginning to make more interesting gameplay. For ex: One virus you could choose from would be the flu, which would have many spells like the one shown above.

Another idea you could do is make it so all the walls are lined with buildings (somewhat like waygates) and it would beam to a separate section on the map to be the cell. Then you could make it so they all look the same for the body players, and have the players colors for the viruses. The body could only identify it as hostile if it's proven to be enemies, while cells the viruses control take away from the total income of the players.

Well, this might be too much for now, so...

expect more.

-supermj

Level 3
Ha! It's about time :p

As a maker of one of the more complex mods of your original map I would like to offer my assistance with your build 2. I can provide code for any of the things in my version of virus infection, up to and including a complete unprotected version of my map. I have already emailed you regarding this matter. I already have a few ideas that have sparked off of your "body temperature" theme. and I have a new terrain set that I've been working on (since I was never really satisfied by the limited space in this set. How on earth did you manage to add that many cells? I'll have to take a look when I get home..).

Would starting in the stomach really be a good idea..? Seems like it would cause a lot of crowding. In games I've hosted, I've noticed (in the old version) the two arm players fighting over their 12 or so cells. Wouldn't 7 or so players all in the stomach make things worse?

Level 3
Actually the map isn't something great.Basic triggers everyone can do and average terrain...

The very same could be said about any map optimized for distribution and play over battle.net. Not every game is blessed by a community devoted enough to download a 3meg map externally and play it online *cough* dota

No one ever claimed it was complex--a game does not have to be complex to be fun. Half of the risk games and derivatives on b.net are just a boatload of custom objects and maybe a couple of simple triggers that *anybody* could make. That doesn't stop them from being fun.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, so I'll just leave it at that.

Level 7
Ah good the creator of the one with heroes and different kinds of viruses stepped in. Thank god I didn't want to have to try to explain it all. Thanks now it will be a great map.

Level 3
or not. Dead thread. I've partnered up with someone to release more betas of version 1. We currently have a LOT going. Currently getting ideas organized at Virus Infection Development Forum • Index page feel free to come look around. I cant remember if linking to another forum is against the terms here, so...uhh....if you're a mod don't ban me xD

We ARE looking for additional assistance because we do plan to make a completely revamped v2 so if you're interested drop us a line!

Status
Not open for further replies.