• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Viewing Extended Tooltip on Already-Built Hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
In one of my maps, the player starts off with a hero. I would like to use that hero's "Text - Tooltip - Extended" field to convey some useful information.
Ordinarily there are two places I can think of where one can read the extended tooltip for a unit:
1) When building that unit
2) When you have multiple units selected, and you mouse over the icon of the unit in question

Since this hero is never built, the first one isn't an option for me.

And I've noticed that, unlike other units, when you mouse over a hero icon in the unit selection part of the screen, the extended tooltip does not display. Instead you just see carried item icons and stuff like that.

Is there a way to view a hero's tooltip -extended text if that hero is never trainable/revivable?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
I don't think you have control over that stuff outside of using custom ui.

That being said, a simple solution is to have a passive ability on the unit that displays the necessary information. You could also display text in response to selecting the unit. An undroppable item can serve this purpose as well.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Yeah, I could certainly do one of those things, I was just hoping for a way to display the info conveniently as part of the tooltip, same for all the non-hero units.
Wonder if you could edit the Game Interface options so that hero descriptions would contain the information from other unit fields.

EDIT:
Another thing you could do is create a text message accessed via the chat command -info (or whatever) when a specific hero is selected.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Oh, do you know of a game interface option that controls that? That sounds perfect
If you have one hero you could put the extended tooltip on the hero ability plus icon. Thing is, I can't find the place to edit that description both in the object editor and game interface.

Tried putting it under the hero name but it also appears when you hover over the hero on the map.
1.png
2.png
3.png

Managed to add the tooltip under Intelligence in the hero's attribute box. Note, that this shows on all heroes. The interface box doesn't like comas so use dots and ";" instead.
4.png
5.png

Status
Not open for further replies.