• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Video Card Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
So, what's up guys? Haven't been around in a while. So how's life? Anyhow...

Ima hav'n some troubles. I'm going to just post the same thread from another site here. For clarification (there was confusion on another site) I am not mixing RAM. Someone thought I was.... anyways...

I recently upgraded my computer (computer A). I took my old parts and started building another computer (computer B). Computer B has my old video card, mobo, RAM, and CPU, and then an assortment of other used parts.

After building computer B I started it up and got no picture. I checked the monitor by plugging it into Computer A and it worked fine. I switched the cards in computer A and computer B and they both worked fine. When I switched them back, computer B stops working again (no picture at all). I tried another monitor and cable just in case and it didn't help. No idea what the issue could be except maybe a PSU issue?! I am using an adapter in Computer B. Note it's not the same as the image, it's only got one power cable instead of two.

Any help is appreciated. I'm going to try and take it to a store soon and have them diagnose it for me.

Specs of each:
Computer A
CPU: Phenom II X4 3.4 GHz
Mobo: ASUS M5A97
GPU: Radeon 6850
RAM: 8 GB DDR3
PSU: 600 Watt Silencer (I think)
Win7

Computer B
CPU: Intel E4800 @ 3 GHz
Mobo: ASUS P5QL Pro
GPU: Radeon 4870
RAM: 4 GB DDR2
PSU: 500 Watt OCZ
I will be installing XP

Here's the thread on Tech-Forums.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The motherboard and video card used to work together (old computer) but since moving them to the new case they do not?

There is always a chance that you have accidently damaged the motherboard in the move if that is the case. A tiny dent near the edge that could easilly happen when trying to fit it in a case and clipping the case corner is enough to kill the entire board.

Level 34
That's correct DSG, the card is compatible, it's been working together for 3 years.

The mobo should be good since the other card works fine in it.

Level 34
Well there seems to be no solution. Awesome. Everything has been tried and there is no reason it shouldn't work, but it doesn't.

Level 22
Have you tried going to a computer store to diagnose it? It's easier to find out what's wrong when you can actively test it and check everything yourself.

There could be some really weird errors. Heck for all I know a compatibility issue could've arisen over the years. Perhaps a corruption in the bios or some damage to the GPU, and that it just happens to work when you switch.

Level 34
Have you tried going to a computer store to diagnose it? It's easier to find out what's wrong when you can actively test it and check everything yourself.

There could be some really weird errors. Heck for all I know a compatibility issue could've arisen over the years. Perhaps a corruption in the bios or some damage to the GPU, and that it just happens to work when you switch.
Yeah I took it into a store, they tested everything. I'm going to go in today hopefully to get it and ask if they tried new RAM and resetting the cmos, but other than that I don't think it's fixable.

Level 34
Doesn't explain why any other video card works in it; I really don't think anything is broken. I bought a new card and it's up and running. Although I have a new internet connection problem. I''ll start a new thread.

Level 34
It's so odd that the card worked for 3 years with that motherboard and no BIOS settings were changed. Oh well it's "fixed".

And you're right wand, it's an 8400, 4800 doesn't exist. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.