• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Variable list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
I think we all remember the list of variables in Warcraft III. You create a variable, add an optional array, set it's preferences and it's in the list with all other variables.

But why does SC3 lack this list and you have to create the variables as in an element list, along with all the triggers? Isn't there a similar list in GE, is this a nuisance only during the beta, or did Blizzard find new ways to annoy the modding community?

Level 5
Probably because Blizz expects you to be able to use folders/subfolders to organize your variables by yourself.

I did my first little 'practice' map on SC2 completely in GUI to test the boundaries of it. I found that things went smoothly if I just piled all my global variables in their own folder at the top, which functioned more or less the same as a variable list.

Level 18
Yea, but if you're making a decent map, you'll open it hundreds of times and every time you have to collapse the folder again. They based this GE on the WE, but how is this better then the variable list? Why did they change something very good and organised into something annoying and messy? I mean you cant even automatically switch between sorting on name and sorting on type!

Level 15
I think this way is more organized. With big projects in WC3 it was extremely annoying to go through that list and find the variable you wanted. you weren't even sure if it was it sometimes. Well now you can put all variables associated with a certain system in that folder. Or have one folder at the top for variables and then divide them up into a few more folders by time or by system.

Level 18
Ive had my share of experience in big projects, and I dont see why I should organize everything myself the exact same way as it was done automatically in WE. The type is the only sorting I need and the name sorting is for quick searching if you know the name, but this way it's only sorted in the order you put it in, nothing automatic. It's a disaster!

Level 18
Why would that allow triggers to be live, but not a small list?

EDIT: Real138, if Im going to move my FFIX project to SC2, Ill need to make thousands of variables, and then I can set all those thousands of them as well. It's a disaster alright... Especially since you'll also probably won't be able to transfer WC3 triggers to SC2, even in the retail version.

Level 9
Blizzard wanted it so that it's easier for multiple people to work on one map. Even if you know what you're doing the other guy that has to continue from where you stopped, it could be more confusing for this other guy.

And yes you may be able to sort variables by name, but how is that useful? There may be 2 or more similiar named variables for systems that do very different things. So if they would all be in one big list it might even get you confused, especially if you had some time off the project and then you try to continue.

Also being able to organize variables in diffirent folders with the triggers in which the variables themselves are used makes it more clear when sharing system templates. Premade systems that other people download and add into their maps.

And how was the Variables list window so nice. It was a pain to always have to open a
separate window to add more variables. Now there's atleast a bit less window adventuring.

All an all the new way is better overall, no matter what your point is.

Level 18
Placing them elsewhere isn't going to disadvantage multi-user maps in any way. It'll only be annoying for all of them for above mentioned reasons.

I just told you, sorting by name is very useful if you know the name of your variable and search for it.

Also, I'm talking global variables here. Meaning that most of my variables will be used in many triggers, which would make sorting in folders by triggers that use them completely useless. And I'm sure a lot of people will use such 'intertwined' methods that prevents them from sorting in such a way.

It was a window that was just 1 hotkey away. How was that worse then having to open 2-3 'organization' folders before being able to get to your variable?

I still see not a single advantage of this, only disadvantages. If it's really made to ease multi-user mapping, you'll have to give me some more detail because I simply can't see efficiency in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.