• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Vampire Area Drain Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
So, any ideas for how to do this? It's a lvl 6 skill of a vampire assassin.

This is the idea I have so far but I'm not sure what triggers to use:

I. When vampire starts channeling Drain Essence...

1. All enemy units within 500 distance of vampire...
A. Take 50 damage per second
B. Lose 10 mana per second
C. Get some animation above their heads

2. Vampire...
A. gains the life and mana lost by these units
B. Gains an aura animation

II. When vampire moves the spell is over

III. If vampire doesn't move or stop casting, he just keeps on draining from the area

can you use vJASS? You can do something like that by using my Nova system (to automate some of the actions... but you would need to know how to use interfaces)

but basically, you need a periodic trigger + indexing or hashtable knowledge if you would want to do it in GUI by your own...

What you would do is, if you cast the spell, save the unit and everything needed into an indexed variable, then the loop will do the actions for all the current indexes, and you need another trigger which will remove the index of the unit when you move or anything else...

Level 4
Whoa, okay, so far I've only learned triggers and basic variables.

Can you tell me what vJass, hashtables, GUI, and indexed variables are?

Can you use all of these things simply through World Editor (or do you need other programs)?

Thanks for your help!

Level 4
Looks great D4rk.

I can't understand the triggers or how to make them, though.

Is there a simple way to make this spell with triggers? (Maybe the "simple" way is actually more complicated but more simple for me to do)

GUI - the basic thing you see on the trigger editor (but its also compiled to jass afterwards)
JASS- the script used by wc3
vJASS - a more advanced version of JASS (but its also compiled to jass afterwards)

hashtables - a data holder

and I think there's really no "simple" way to do this, if you think the spell on that D4rk linked was not simple...

you don't even need to understand his spell to apply it, you can just CnP, then you need to edit a bit some of the values...

I agree with his last statement that this may be too much to begin with (considering you don't even know what GUI is)... I suggest you go first to the tutorials section and look up some basic tutorials to help you learn the basics of triggering...

Status
Not open for further replies.