• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Valve's breaks the Dota 2-silence, with a bang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Valve just announced a tournament that will be held during gamescom with the twelve best dota teams.

The winning team gets 1 million USD.
Ka-ching.

Guess they will gain a certain interest amongst quite many people out there.
This is insane to me though, the amount of cash prize is out of this world.
(I am getting all excited about finally get to see Dota 2, like a little child on christmas.)

Just thought I'd post about it.

(feel free to move this to "gaming", if you find it more fitting there)

Level 34
I guess they're really banking on this game catching on. How many people still play DotA?

Level 17
Do tens of millions of people even play WC3?

The majority is distributed through out stuff like private servers, other services like Garena, and shit tons of network cafe LAN parties.

Oh boy, I mean shit tons.

The figure actually sounds reasonable, but most of those people aren't going to purchase DotA 2 let alone migrate to it. So its healthy to really bring that number down to about a million or so potential customers.

Level 17
I read in IGN tournament coming up HoN will be on it, to keep it alive because when Dota 2 comes, it's GG HoN (and LoL).

Don't count your chickens before they hatch, junior. They've been saying "When X game comes out, it'll be GG for Y game." for pretty much everything.

Both games are kind of branching out from the DotA 2 formula, and the fact that both LoL and HoN have different fanbases means that variety appeals to different crowds. DotA 2, LoL and HoN will all have their own dedicated fanbases, and then there will be a large majority that just plays a mix of any of the 3.

Taking myself as an example, I don't see anything worth migrating to DotA 2 over. I'm perfectly happy with HoN and have already settled in and learned the strategies distinct to its playstyle and heroes. I'll surely try DotA 2, but I have no plans to stop playing HoN.

Level 25
Then there is those who are just playing HoN while waiting for Dota 2 to come out (like me, what an ass I am).

I think that HoN will lose more players to dota than LoL though, due to the similiarities of Dota and HoN (the same game more or less). And LoL is a bit different. But it is just my speculations.

And yes, there is a shitload of people still playing dota. Think I heard/read/whatever that Asia had more players than the rest of the world together. It was a couple of millions, if my memory is'nt failing me.

Level 22
And yes, there is a shitload of people still playing dota. Think I heard/read/whatever that Asia had more players than the rest of the world together. It was a couple of millions, if my memory is'nt failing me.

That's because if there is anywhere activity in war3 that is Asia, China, specifically not here.

Newsflash, war3 died on all other continents. Just because someone makes maps... firstly even here you will notice THW's best mapmakers have long gone with it, so let's not count that as activity. With that logic, one could say there are still people using Broodwar's editor or even War2 editor does it make it active? Pretty much if we have to talk about activity and not literally, China is the only place where war3 is still very active both for Dota and melee, ie Esports, as Dota also is an esports map you know. .

Though interesting how a map of a game that is part of esports, just a single map turned into separate dicipline. War3 is a game on tournaments and a map of it taken as a separate game.. never happend on any other game. Phenomenal...

Status
Not open for further replies.