• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Using Warcraft Editor Unlimited to change unit range in game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Sniper Rifle Drop
Events
Unit - A unit owned by Player 1 (Red) Loses an item
Conditions
(Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Sniper Rifle
Actions
Advanced - For Player 1 (Red) Increase range for all units that use the Human Upgrade Set 2 by 1500
Advanced - For (Triggering unit) Increase damage by 300

The damage increases, but the range does not.

What happens is that the attack range will increase by 1, and when I drop the item it decreases back to 400, but if I pick the item up again it stays at 400.

Level 2
I don't see how you are going to work it that way personally. What I would try to do is create an upgrade for range using the night elf upgrade "improved bows" and set the amount of levels for it as the amount of different weapons you want to adjust the range for. So then if the sniper rifle was the first weapon, change level one ranged bonus to 2000 (just say). Now create a trigger for when you pick up that item, set the owner's research of your new upgrade to Lvl 1. Make sure you have added the upgrade to the unit you want it to work on also. Aswell as that, create a trigger for when the unit loses the item, it sets the research back down to 0. Try it out, let me know if it works.

Level 21
I don't see how you are going to work it that way personally. What I would try to do is create an upgrade for range using the night elf upgrade "improved bows" and set the amount of levels for it as the amount of different weapons you want to adjust the range for. So then if the sniper rifle was the first weapon, change level one ranged bonus to 2000 (just say). Now create a trigger for when you pick up that item, set the owner's research of your new upgrade to Lvl 1. Make sure you have added the upgrade to the unit you want it to work on also. Aswell as that, create a trigger for when the unit loses the item, it sets the research back down to 0. Try it out, let me know if it works.

it won't work. Once you set a research level to a certain number, you can't decrease it below that number anymore.

Level 3
So basically it is impossible unless I create units for each weapon type?

That doesn't make sense.

Anyone here have any experience with World Editor Unlimited that can shed light on the range upgrade thing?

I have now gotten it to increase the range, but I cannot get it to decrease it after I drop the item.

Level 21
That's because WEU is fake. What it does is adding the range upgrade to your unit. It just looks like a new trigger action, but it isn't one, it's a simple upgrade. Since it's not "degradeable", you cannot lower the range anymore.

What you can do is something like the Orb of fire ability: whenever you have that item, your 2nd attack is enabled. If you just increase the range of your 2nd attack to 2000, you can change your range. However, a hero only has 2 attacks, so if you have 2 guns with different range, they will still shoot at range 2000.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Firstly, scrap WEU, for your and your maps player's own good.

Now for the range, in the object editor set your unit's range to an outragously big number, like 999999, this will not take affect ingame because actual range is equal to MIN(Range,Aqusition Range). You can not change range via trigger, you can change aquisition range however which since range has, as far as you care, no limates, the actual range will be the aquisition range of the unit. Thus now you can change the range of the unit, building or hero.

Level 3
Firstly, scrap WEU, for your and your maps player's own good.

Now for the range, in the object editor set your unit's range to an outragously big number, like 999999, this will not take affect ingame because actual range is equal to MIN(Range,Aqusition Range). You can not change range via trigger, you can change aquisition range however which since range has, as far as you care, no limates, the actual range will be the aquisition range of the unit. Thus now you can change the range of the unit, building or hero.

Can you explain to me what the "aquisition range" is exactly?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is the range at which a unit will automaticly aquire a target, normaly it is much greater than range so that units start moving to attack before the enenemy is in their range, but it also caps the max range for some reason so by setting the range higher than it you can adjust the range via triggers by changing it.

Level 3
It is the range at which a unit will automaticly aquire a target, normaly it is much greater than range so that units start moving to attack before the enenemy is in their range, but it also caps the max range for some reason so by setting the range higher than it you can adjust the range via triggers by changing it.

It seems so simple, and yet no other person that viewed this topic could come to this conclusion. Thank you sir for your help is deemed the greatest, and above all others.

Status
Not open for further replies.