• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Uproot order clearing subgroup selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Well, this is a weird one...

I've been fixing some long-standing bugs in my campaign, and came across some very odd behavior.

Player 1 is controlled by the player. Unit1 is an 'Ancient' type building, owned by an AI-controlled ally of Player 1.

If I use the following trigger:

Unit - Order Unit1 to Night Elf Ancients - Uproot

Then, for some reason, it resets the subgroup selection for Player 1 - that is, regardless of which units you had as the 'active' selection in the command card, it'll reset to the first unit in the group.

The same happens if I issue a Night Elf Ancients - Root command.

I've not seen this happen with any other orders. What the heck is going on? Is there any way around this?

EDIT:
I should also add that this only happens when the order targets a unit that actually CAN uproot/root. If the order targets another unit the current subgroup selection for player 1 doesn't change.

EDIT 2:
Wow, I've tested this in a regular game - it happens even if you order your OWN ancients to root/unroot. Try it for yourself: order an ancient to unroot, then tell it to go root somewhere else. As it's moving to its location, select a mixed group, and press tab a couple of times to select a different subgroup. When the Ancient Roots itself, your subgroup selection gets cancelled.

That's... really messed up. I wonder if this means that rooting/unrooting an Ancient clears the subgroup selection of all players in a multiplayer game? That would be really irritating for everyone involved...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.