• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Units/SFX disappearing, Sound issues [FIXED], and the Haunted gold mine problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. LordHatchet95 here, after a loooooooooong time of hiatus... Well, to the point:

I've been working on a starcraft volcanic map, with high tides and low tides of lava...

upload_2021-3-9_20-56-21.png

Both the triggers and the models are ready. The issue is the following:

I ended up using "units" with different "negative" heights as the lava pool "doodads", to simulate the flowing magma below. The map is 160x160, and each lava pool is 80x80. It works, but whenever I pan the camera away from the lava pool in-game, it completely disappears...
Lava pool is there:
upload_2021-3-9_20-58-6.png

Lava pool is gone after panning the camera a bit:
upload_2021-3-9_20-58-41.png

I tried looking for the Doodads/Destructible option instead of using a unit which MUST be visible for all players by the way... but it doesn't even exist the option.

There's another issue, and that's with the sounds... I've defined a sound variable array, and made the sounds play when the magma rises or lowers. But there's no sound. [FIXED]

And finally, and recently discovered:

I've tried to make SCVs to be capable to build "haunted gold mines" (in this case, Refineries)... The only solution was making the SCVs of the undead faction. The refinery works properly, but this just made every single building to "build itself"...

How do I solve all these problems?

The map'll be attached here. Feel free to examine the triggers and units. I left a credits section also both in-game and commented in the triggers section.

Thanks for your support.

Attachments

• SC2 Volcanic Template v3.6.w3x
    4.3 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Level 21
For the sounds to work, simply remove the 3D tag in the sound editor of each sound (3D sounds need to be positioned).

For the lava rising and lowering you might be better off using special effect manipulation (if using 1.31+).

Making refineries, that's quite the pickle now.

For the sounds to work, simply remove the 3D tag in the sound editor of each sound (3D sounds need to be positioned).
The sounds work now, thanks.
For the lava rising and lowering you might be better off using special effect manipulation (if using 1.31+).
The lava rising and lowering using special effects will be hard... Do special effects disappear when away from the camera?

EDIT: Tested it, and the Special Effect disappears as well... Mostly because the Lava pools (both units and SFX) are massive in size... the map is 160 x 160, and with either full size, or 80x80 sized lava tiles they disappear when the camera pans away from them.
In fact, the exact center of each lava pool (4 in total) are located above cliffs within each base, enclosed with red squares at the following image:
1615757354784.png

Making refineries, that's quite the pickle now.
The refineries actually work, but only because I've made the SCVs of the undead race... The undead part is actually making every building just... build itself (which is the issue), and consume resources over time while building just like when multiple peasants focus on building one thing.

Last edited:
Level 21
Yeah i know how you made them work, i meant making them function like in starcraft seems cumbersome in wc3.
I think it would require heavy triggering and a invisible dummy undead worker, leashed to your initial worker.

Another quick idea, have you tried increasing the x/y (maybe z axis too) extents of your lava model in magos editor?

Yeah i know how you made them work, i meant making them function like in starcraft seems cumbersome in wc3.
I think it would require heavy triggering and a invisible dummy undead worker, leashed to your initial worker.

Another quick idea, have you tried increasing the x/y (maybe z axis too) extents of your lava model in magos editor?
I don't know how to use magos editor... also the issue is not the "lava pools" not working... they work, and they burn anything below a certain height (around 30 damage per 0.5 seconds) :thumbs_up:

The issue is that the lava models disappear when I pan away from the center of the model...

I could replace the models with SFX once again, using 4 special effects scaled up to 2 instead of one scaled up to 4 (and save up several copies of the same units with different heights xD)... The other problem is that if there's no line of sight at that area (even a tiny explored and visible area works), the sfx will never show up. The same goes for this lava "units", if unexplored and not visible, the lava won't show.

Level 21
How are we talking past each other lmao...

I know you made the lava pools work mechanically, i investigated your map...
I know your problem is solely that the lava vanishes from sight, once a player's camera is too far away.
That's why i suggested using magos model editor to manipulate said lava model's extents drastically.
- which i tried right now, sadly doesn't help

Then i tried messing with camera settings and increasing far z helps, but warps the cam quite a lot.

How are we talking past each other lmao...

I know you made the lava pools work mechanically, i investigated your map...
I know your problem is solely that the lava vanishes from sight, once a player's camera is too far away.
That's why i suggested using magos model editor to manipulate said lava model's extents drastically.
- which i tried right now, sadly doesn't help

Then i tried messing with camera settings and increasing far z helps, but warps the cam quite a lot.
Thanks for the help btw, but it seems the particular issue of lava vanishing in-game (or any object at all vanishing when panning away) is to optimize the gameplay... if it's not within the camera field of sight, it just disappears... otherwise there will be too many graphic items to manage at once, and would make the game laggy... ok, laggier than it already is (reforged issue nowadays c': )
AT LEAST that's my theory of why large things disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.