• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unit Selection Circle Obscured by Flat Doodads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
cTReDxA.jpg

I'm messing around with placing images on the terrain by using custom destructables. I'm having this problem now where I can't lower it any further without it disappearing but it is still too high for a player to see the unit selection circle or the lower parts of the unit's model.

I know this isn't normal because there are plenty of built in doodads like the Black Citadel runes that the units walk over entirely.

How can I get a finer control of the height, or is there some other way of pushing a doodad/destructable flat to the ground?

Level 29
This might work with a flat rectangle model (or really any shape you want) that is used in the WE as a walkable terrain/cliff doodad.
These doodads are affected by the ground height accordingly, exactly like cliffs do.
Therefore, having a flat rectangle should get you the texture flat on the ground.

Do note that these doodads are also much more constrained - once you place them, they cannot be changed in any way other than being deleted.
I have no idea how they work as far as creating them in-game. My guess is that they will be normal doodads unaffected by the terrain (and thus be the same as what you are already doing).

Last edited:
Level 4
That doesn't sound necessary because some doodads like my example of the Black Citadel runes can be adjusted and rotated any way you like after placing and they are very close to the ground at any terrain height.

Status
Not open for further replies.