• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unit Animations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I tried doing this for a requested spell and realized I had no idea what I was doing.

I tried to make a Tauren model hero use it's Attack Slam animation, however, when I tried using Animation - Play Unit Animation it wants an entered value for the animation, but when I enter Attack Slam it doesn't work. So I looked for the Pulverize ability, looked for its animation, and tried using just "slam" again no luck.

How do I make a unit do a certain animation?

Level 6
You want the tauren to do a slam when he casts a spell? well, in the object editor and the spell that he will cast, change one of the top fields (it should be animation something) to the same as what ever it is in warstomp. which should be attack, slam or spell, slam. Just check to be sure.

ps. It takes too long to load the editor and im about to play b&w 2, otherwise I'd do it myself.

Level 7
Well on a spell the animation field would be

Tada.jpg

I know this is with an attack two, but the principle is the same whether its triggered or done normally, for you it would be Attack then Slam on the list. For triggers I think you can use concanate strings or whatever they are called(Too lazy to open the editor).

Level 6
That is exactly what I was talking about. Just be sure to make it the same as what warstomp has in this field.

ps. you'll have to add two strings, not just one with a comma between them.

Level 3
Okay, this is what I tried

Unit - Play {Triggering Unit)'s slam animation

I also tried (like I said) clicking the Tauren in the Terrain and cycling through his animations in the preview window and found his Attack Slam (1.267 s) animation and entered that:

Unit - Play (Triggering Unit)'s Attack Slam animation

I also tried:

Unit - Play (Triggering Unit)'s attack,slam animation

None worked.

I don't just want to use it in the ability because I want to know how to do it for say, cinematics.

Argh, it's NONE WORKING!!!

Edit:
I just relooked at the last post and tried to do this

Unit - Play (Triggering Unit)'s (attack + slam) animation

Again, no worketh.

Level 3
Jass.. I no liketh the Jass.

I'm trying to do this with Triggers. As I don't have a want or need to learn Jass at all.

Level 7
frog15 said:
Jass.. I no liketh the Jass.

I'm trying to do this with Triggers. As I don't have a want or need to learn Jass at all.

Well, that's your own problem. If you don't learn at least a little JASS, you can't use that native and solve your problems.

Level 3
Event:
A unit begins casting a spell.

I don't want to learn Jass because I don't want to go that indepth into the Wc3 Editor. What I want can easily be done with Triggers, just because I don't know exactly what they are right now does not mean that they aren't there.

The difference between Jass and Triggers is that Jass you have to code everything, you have to make a child of a Warcraft 3 map, because almost everything is your hand written creation. Triggers is pre-fabricated, allowing a person to easily move from map to map without getting bogged down in trying to find a certain Function or Call Variable or Loop End or find out where he forgot to put a / or a (. Since the Editor does it all for you in Triggers it makes it easier to quickly check something and test it.

That's why I don't want to learn Jass.

That and I don't want to take alot of time learning something that I will only use so seldom that the time spent learning it will have gone to waste.

Level 3
I am well aware you can do more, I just don't want or need that type of power to fully edit every facet of the entire map.

Level 7
It would only require one single line of JASS, a custom script action. If you want to use that, say so and I'll tell you how to.

Level 6
frog15, this does not require JASS, what you have to do is change:

to:

Unit - Play {Casting Unit)'s slam animation

If this does not work, you may have to ask Blade.dk2 to write some JASS for you. You can implement it with your trigger so you don't have to convert the whole thing to JASS. It would use the custom script in triggers.

Level 7
Xeridanus said:
frog15, this does not require JASS, what you have to do is change:

to:

Unit - Play {Casting Unit)'s slam animation

If this does not work, you may have to ask Blade.dk2 to write some JASS for you. You can implement it with your trigger so you don't have to convert the whole thing to JASS. It would use the custom script in triggers.

Did you read what he said? It didn't work with that.

And by the way, frog15, don't use a unit begins casting an ability for this. Use A unit starts the effects of an ability.

Try add a call TriggerSleepAction(0) before the animation call, might solve it by the way. Else you would need a single line of JASS.

And just to inform you guys: forget the 2 in my name. It's there because of a site bug that has been around for a long time and would be easy to fix, but isn't fixed.

Level 6
no, he hasn't tried it as far as we know. it doesn't matter which of those events he uses it should be casting unit, not triggering unit.

Level 7
Xeridanus said:
no, he hasn't tried it as far as we know. it doesn't matter which of those events he uses it should be casting unit, not triggering unit.

They does the same, except that triggering unit is faster, so he shouldn't use casting unit http://www.wc3jass.com/viewtopic.php?t=2513.

And don't speak of stuff you know nothing about, he should use the event I pointed out, because the other one can because it triggers before the spell is cast (guess why it's called begins casting?) so you can get the effects without spending mana and cooldown.

Level 7
Function or event?

Event makes a clearly difference, if I can keep casting a spell without spending mana and cooldown it would destroy balance.

GetTriggerUnit is better, it's not that much faster, but if you're using it a lot it is better the other way. And GetTriggerUnit can be used after waits, GetSpellAbilityUnit can not (well, it can, but it'll return null)

Level 7
Chuckle Brother said:
Are there any other unit references that work after waits?

I'm not sure, I always store them in locals to prevent using unneeded memory by calling them multiple times.

But all the GetSpellAbility* functions does not work after waits.

Status
Not open for further replies.