• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Under what conditions do you like best to work on your WC3 projects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I'd like to know about you guys' map-making work on a more personal level. Where do you guys work? At home in your basement listening to music? Together with your friends who have similar interests and skills? Do you squeeze in 15 minutes of time working on a map on your laptop in between classes at school? Do you have a certain snack you like to eat at the computer? A certain music track that gets you in the mood to make terrain and program triggers?

As for me, I'm married in college and I have a 6-month-old daughter, so I don't get much time to work. But sometimes I work on maps at school when I have time. I also am a super morning person, so I find getting up early to be a really good time to work. Early Saturday mornings are ideal. I like to eat pretzels and water usually while working on my maps. I generally don't listen to music while working. I usually focus better in silence.
On my maps, using an RPG as an example, I generally like to create the starting area first, then make all the stuff in that area and the main hero. (including the entire model in the Unit Editor and all his/her abilities) Then I make a few triggers and test the hero. Then I create the rest of the world with simplified terrain, and work on making sure everything's passable, as well as mechanics such as vehicles, etc. I work on the quests penultimately, and last is when I usually add quirks like achievements, secret areas, and program the items (quest rewards, etc).

What about you guys?

Level 21
I'm at home and constantly listening to music(except when it starts making me dizzy at about hour 6 or so).
I usually work for long periods of time at the same time and then not at all.

Example: I kept writing an inventory system for 3 days. Spent 15 or so hours on it during that time. On day 1.5 I suddenly got frustrated and rewrote the whole thing. Then on day 3 I got frustrated again and quit(to think up a better way of how to do it).

My work schedule(in WC3) is... chaotic.
I am not very persistent, but what I do I do well.

I like to find out new things. Such as all this http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/off-topic-478/theory-behind-spellbooks-228570/
I never do anything when I don't want to and I go by the motto that Bill Gates once told:
"I'd hire a lazy programmer, because he will find an easier way to do it."

About music:
I listen to a very wide variety of music styles and artists. Ranging from stuff like Katy Perry to Metallica to "Drop Dead, Gorgeous"(especially the song called "Dressed for friend requests").
Any kind of music makes me relax as long as I like it.

Last edited:
Level 3
usually late at night. in a comfy upholstered armchair. fig conserve on a slice of toast and a side of fried spring rolls. recently trying to wrap my head around unwrapping UVW textures on Warcraft III models. I dont usually work on projects, but when i do, i prefer chamomile tea. always in dim lighting and always in my bathrobe.

My life is awesome

When i have free time with school, others projects i have and also gaming, and of course only when i have some inspiration (that means not often). It can be at any hour and any day of the week.

I'm always listening to music while being on computer so while mapping too, mostly Electronic-Rock (Celldweller, Blue Stahli, Voicians, etc...).

When i work on a project, first thing i do is a flat terrain or terrain schema, and when i have it, i start working on Systems, while upgrading terrain meanwhile. When i have enough systems to have the map playable, i work on the rest (Heroes and Items mainly), while continuing systems and terrains.
Everything comes at some time, even if there's no really plan or precise organization, nothing comes too early or too late.

Level 23
Home sweet home, bedroom, desk covered in Lego, hi-fi belting out the synth-pop, singing like no-one is listening...

I work forward through the story; start at the beginning and build up the requisite areas and objects from there. Systems coalesce around the story, unless they're already well established, in which case they're in from the get-go.

Status
Not open for further replies.