• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Undead Campaign Screen - Ghoul

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Undead Campaign screen has some unused textures such as a Ghoul from WoW Alpha. These were supposedly to be used in the campaign screen, it could be that the undead campaign screen in early build had "Ghouls" and "Arthas" among them than the current "Lich".
Uses In-Game textures, extracted from WoW Original.

Ripping models from games such as WoW is allowed, because it has a connection and a rule that all Blizzard games can be either ripped or extracted from. Sometimes such models intend to get rejected because of how it takes space in the model gallery. But I hope moderators approve this one, it has in-game textures. All credits belong to the Blizzard Entertainment.

Updates: Optimized as best as I could.

Credits: Blizzard Entertainment, Genin32.

Keywords:
Lich, Ghoul, Alpha, WoW, World of WarCraft, Undead, Basic Unit, Unit, Corpse, Whitehead, White Ghoul, Campaign Screen, Campaign.
Contents

Undead Campaign Screen - Ghoul (Model)

Reviews
00:29, 30th Jun 2014 MiniMage: While I appreciate that you try to up the quality. The fact that this is a wow rips with a bad skinjobs is hard to refute. Thus, rejected.

M

00:29, 30th Jun 2014
MiniMage: While I appreciate that you try to up the quality. The fact that this is a wow rips with a bad skinjobs is hard to refute. Thus, rejected.

why is walk fast actually slower than the walk animation? is it intended?

Since all units in War3 have one walk animation that has them running, so walk was made to be running just like everyone else in default, the other ones are just custom settings for walk. You can configure that via trigger editor > animations.

animewidri2 said:
Its awesome! But the file size its kinda big :/

I will try to optimize it, I will update it with a lower file-size. :)

How about getting rid of some of the polygons and frames? Because of it's blurry texture it looks blurry anyway. There is no need in taking so much map space.

I will update it later, I will try using some of other methods of file-size. But for purely fact, I don't really care about the file-size, since there is a tool called 8 MB Map Size Limit Remover, I don't understand how can people still talk/ fear about the damn file-size?

Level 20
Well about " 8 MB Map Size Limit Remover" that works only if everyone has it (So far 500 people, and I doubt the non-maping wc3 players even check hive to discover this tool). Oh and works only on illegal servers (though in case of Garena I was under impression it no longer supported LAN). So yeah not many benefit from unlimited map size and thus size remains factor. And should that really even be an excuse to make 0.5mb unit models?

But more about model? Now i am not modeler but I was under impression that reason why WoW rips aren't allowed is because they don't work very well especially if spammed like unit can't be handled by Wc3 engine. So it isn't just because it is from WoW, just see icon section. I can't really see TC, I don't see decay animation and in the end the texture is not that great (really guys what is so great about it?) so why not rip regular WoW model if you really need it. Though in that case you can't upload it in the first place.

Last edited:
Well about " 8 MB Map Size Limit Remover" that works only if everyone has it (So far 500 people, and I doubt the non-maping wc3 players even check hive to discover this tool). Oh and works only on illegal servers (though in case of Garena I was under impression it no longer supported LAN). So yeah not many benefit from unlimited map size and thus size remains factor. And should that really even be an excuse to make 0.5mb unit models?

But more about model? Now i am not modeler but I was under impression that reason why WoW rips aren't allow is because they don't work very well especially if spammed like unit can't be handled by Wc3 engine. So it isn't just because it is from WoW, just see icon section. I can't really see TC, I don't see decay animation and in the end the texture is not that great (really guys what is so great about it?) so why not rip regular WoW model if you really need it. Though in that case you can't upload it in the first place.

Since I found the unused textures, I decided to add those textures to a WoW model, I extracted WoW Original's Ghoul model and added the texture from RoC Campaign Screen. It worked nicely, the texture is low because it was meant to blend in with War3 quality. Yes the file-size maybe large, but I guess this could be useful to SP' Games or Cinematic's, however I am planning to optimize it.. War3 Engine can handle a lot more than you expect, Maximum Polies for a single object have to be 8000. If an object has more than 8000 polies the screen starts to show weird model stretch bugs. That means that WoW models are completely supported and advised to be used in War3. The standard amount of polies from WoW model is 2000/1000. You can have 1000% of these Ghouls in a single map without lag. The texture is however limited to 512x512 as it is hardcoded into the game's engine.

Level 20
How about adding of Team Color and Decay animation, aren't those required when making a unit or at least desirable features. Using WoW models in map is one thing, but uploading was always touching subject on hive. For current status on WoW imports I only could find this topic (scroll down to see Ralles messaged).

Also I think the no lag has more to do with your PC which is probably modern up to date and thus overqualified for 2002 game. I don't think my pc ever was able to handle 1000 units even non wow ones at same time.