• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unable to play my map in LAN? People get auto-kicked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hey guys, it's been a long time since I don't post here. I will probably return to my map project so I shall be around again...

I don't know if this is the right place to post this...

My problem is, I create a game in LAN (using my map) and it creates fine. But when my friend joined the game, it's name appeared in the slot but it was kicked from the game right after, as if I closed the slot. I think it might be related to the coding of my map somehow, because we were able to play other maps just fine...

Just wanted to know if someone has a clue about it... Already experienced the same problem? Have a clue of what could be the cause? Just finding the cause would be extremely helpful. Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Level 5
When we did it for the first time, he joined, started downloading the map (that number showed up in the left) and after the download was completed he was kicked.

The problem can't be related to connection, because we played many other maps in the same occasion.

UNLESS, when his download got to 99% something happened (like a connection spike) and he left without completely downloading the map... So he got a corrupted file! Yeah, that might be the case... He got the file in his computer, with the same name and maybe same header (idk how war3 checks if the player must download the map or not) but it was a corrupted file, so it failed to sync or something and then was dropped from the room instantly?

Level 13
When we did it for the first time, he joined, started downloading the map (that number showed up in the left) and after the download was completed he was kicked.

The problem can't be related to connection, because we played many other maps in the same occasion.

UNLESS, when his download got to 99% something happened (like a connection spike) and he left without completely downloading the map... So he got a corrupted file! Yeah, that might be the case... He got the file in his computer, with the same name and maybe same header (idk how war3 checks if the player must download the map or not) but it was a corrupted file, so it failed to sync or something and then was dropped from the room instantly?

EXACTLY.... THATS A POINT
if your friends reach the 99
will be kick instantly

and your friends join you again will be kick automatically

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
like a connection spike
The chance of a connection spike happening over LAN is virtually impossible. Unless you are using wireless in which case it is possible.

it's name appeared in the slot but it was kicked from the game right after
Sounds like firewall related problem. If the firewall blocks the incoming connection he cannot join but may be stuck there for ages.

Do note that if you are using VPN services to create a WAN that imitates a LAN then consult the VPN service provider as that is unintended use of WC3 (something wrong with the VPN and not the game). A LAN is a network that passes through no or very few routers (no backbone internet routers) and is usually only a few hundred meters in size. An 1gbps Ethernet connection to some computers and game consoles is an example of a LAN. A LAN is not a VPN that connects any number of computers through the internet imitating a local area connection.

On another note. If the install paths for your WC3 are different it could fail due to the map name being too longer. The best example would be 32 bit OS players against 64 bit OS players since on 32 bit OS the install directory for WC3 is Program Files but on 64 bit OS it is Program Files (x86) which makes a path 5 characters longer so a map that barely passes on 32 bit OS will fail on the 64 bit OS install (unless a custom install directory is used with a shorted path).

Level 12
This also happens when map's file name(in maps folder) is long or includes weird characters.Same problem happened to we yesterday my friend couldn't join the game after he downloaded the map.I shortened the file name and it was fixed.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
This also happens when map's file name(in maps folder) is long or includes weird characters.Same problem happened to we yesterday my friend couldn't join the game after he downloaded the map.I shortened the file name and it was fixed.
This sounds exactly like the 32/64 bit problem I described where 64 bit OS default install directory has a longer path so results in some maps working fine on 32 bit OS but failing on 64 bit OS. Custom install directory or shorter map name solves this.

Status
Not open for further replies.