• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

UK House of Lords Reform

How would you reform the House of Lords, if at all?

• Keep it as it is.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Population Based Popular Vote

• Area/Region Based

• Devolution Based (US Senate style)

• Industry / Business Based (Bavarian Senate style)

• Religion Based

• Direct Democracy

• Other Reforms (state in reply)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
The House of Lords is the upper house of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. Unlike the House of Commons, which is directly elected by the people, members of the House of Lords are chosen through a system of peerage.

Some argue that the House of Lords is outdated and that the House of Lords needs to be reformed. Another possible problem is that the House of Lords has significantly lost much of it's power over the past 100+ years and it's decisions can be overridden by the House of Commons. What reforms, if any, would you propose to change the House of Lords?

Here are some explanations for the options I included in the poll:
Keep it as it is.
This would keep the House of Lords exactly as it is.

Population Based Popular Vote
Lords would be elected through a popular vote. Much like MPs, lords would be represent constituencies based on population.

Area/Region Based
Lords would represent pre-determined areas, regardless of population. For instance, each county (or county-equivelant) would have a Lord that represents the county.

Devolution Based
Each of the devolved countries (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales) would receive a per-determined equal number of lords (say, five for each country; twenty total). These twenty Lords would represent the interests of the constituent countries and their respective governments. This would be similar to how many federations operate their upper houses, including the United States.

Civil Servant Based
Direct elections would be held to elect lords, however the only people who can vote in this election are people who work for the government (police officers, teachers, firefighters, NHS personnel, etc.). This would be similar to how France operates it's upper house; as well as how the former Kingdom of Laos held it's parliamentary elections in 1965

Industry / Business Based
Lords would not be directly elected, instead they would represent the interests of various social, economic, professional, local, and other such groups. This would be similar to how the Slovenian National Council and the former Bavarian Senate operated.

Religion Based
Lords will be religious officials and represent their religion and/or church/mosque/etc.

Direct Democracy
Instead of having an upper house in the traditional sense, the House of Lords would be replaced with a system of direct democracy. Every British citizen would act as a lord and can vote on bills proposed by the House of Commons and possibly even propose legislature themselves, if enough people support it. However, the House of Commons will continue to exist to prevent mob rule and the many problems that could occur in a pure direct democracy. This can be created through a number of means, from citizens voting through the internet or merely going to their polling station to vote on bills (similar to a referendum).

Other Reforms
This is entirely up to you, please post your ideas here.

Completely Abolish It & Don't Replace It
This would effectively turn the United Kingdom into a unicameral country and completely abolish bicameralism.

Level 8
I think the area/region or devolution (they seem to represent the same idea on different scales to me) would be the best option that does not simply abolish it.

However, I am unsure if there is a point to keeping it in any form; you already have a representative democracy in place. I suppose an argument can be made about checks and balances in the US fashion, but I'm not terribly sure it's needed. Voter interest isn't guaranteed either...

Status
Not open for further replies.