• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Twenty Second Released Map- Inu Yasha- Taisetsu na Hito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Another map I started at the time of this site’s map contest. At the time I started it, there were a lot of Inu Yasha maps being released. All of them were of rather low quality and did little to no justice for the series. Wc3search had a FEW Inu yasha models, not particularly high quality but nonetheless better then nothing, that nobody even bothered to use. Nothing is more lame then playing a chaos orc named “Inu Yasha” fighting other wc3 units with Inu Yasha names over poorly done terrain with little or no scripting to the gameplay. In fact, any mapper who did that with any series really annoyed me. I think one would at least make the attempt to create a worth while theme for whatever series they were trying to emulate. It was then that I decided to make this map- to show that a quality IY map COULD be made. I was originally planning on using the IT models on wc3search, but at the time Jigreal, the modeler who helped me greatly with my Alisia Dragoon map, was also contemplating building an IY map, and decided to help me out by building some high quality models.

I tried to make a map that had what all the others did not- terrain, scripts, quality imported material and innovative gameplay. Some of that succeeded while other did not. I tried to make a random battle system similar to final fanstasy, but would allow the players to fight real-time on the battlefield as opposed to turn based fighting. I ran into a BIG problem with finding ways to disable the battle initiation triggers during the many cutscenes that occur through the map…a problem that still persists today even though I’ve added layer after layer of protection against it. Very frustrating.

The aggravation of doing the most complicated and painstaking trigger work I had ever done, combined with the resulting problems I had with trigger bugs really discouraged me. It was just bug after bug after bug…it was the first time I truly got tired and burnt out with map making, and as a result it took me a while to complete the map. I had 3 excellent quality models from Jigrael, but still did not have enough to perfectly emulate the series, so I went ahead and made my own altered storyline to fit what I had ( In was NOT going to stoop to using normal wc3 models with Inu Yasha names). I did not put much into the story because, again, I was burnt out and couldn’t really think of one. The existing one is a bit corny. I’m sure I could think of a better one if I went back to that map.

The end result was only decent at best. My attempt to make a “this is how it should be done” map backfired. Although it is still visually appealing, the gameplay and story didn’t turn out as good as it should have. Most of all my own impatience screwed me out of making a quality IY map….I guess that’s the same problem all the other IY mappers faced as well.

You can try out IY:TH here:
http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Maps&ID=7960&sid=c221007c733328cb420a361164b06197

Status
Not open for further replies.