• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Turning model's Skin into a separate model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRious

M

MrRious

Is it possible to turn a skin into a model using Model Editor (by changing the texture path)?

Level 19
Not entirely sure what you mean by this, but I assume you mean having a separate "copy" of a model using a skin, allowing you to have multiple versions of the same model with different skins.
This is actually really easy.

1. Export the model you want as an .MDX and convert it to .MDL (i.e. the Footman)
2. Open the model in notepad
3. Scroll down until you find the section starting with "textures", and identify the texture path you want to change (i.e. Textures\Footman.blp)
4. Change the texture path to anything. (i.e. Textures/FootmanMoreAwesome.blp)
5. Save the model and convert it back to .MDX.
6. Import the edited model and whatever texture you intend to use with it into your map, and set the texture path of the imported texture to whatever you decided in step 4.

I hope that answered your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.