• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Turn Effect in Z-Axis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
You mean if a peasant were an effect, you'd want the peasant to do a backflip?

The short answer is you can't.

The long answer is you must manually change Art - Maximum Pitch Angle to a negative number. Do this by holding shift as you click to edit that field. Then, you must make many identical units, all with different negative pitch angles. After you have that, when flipping a unit, you determine the amount of rotation you want and then swap out your present unit with an identical unit whose fixed pitch angle is the closest to the new rotation.

Also, for clarity, "turn effect around the z-axis" means spinning the guy around the z-axis which means just turning him to face a different direction. It's turning around the x and y axis that you want.

Level 10
No, I don't want to turn unit, but effect.
What I mean by effect is something that created in origin of unit when a unit have Aura or Flame that created in unit's chest if they're burned. In trigger this effect called Special Effect.
And I want to, for example, backflip it when it's attached to unit. So what's happens is the attachment effect is flipped but the attached unit is not flipped.
So, How can I do it?

Level 4
So you want a special effect attached to a unit. But you want that special effect flipped. Right? I'm pretty sure you can't manipulate special effects in this way.

However, you can manipulate a dummy unit in this way. You can make a dummy unit have the same model file as a special effect and then mess with the dummy unit's Maximum Pitch Angle. This would look like exactly what you want.

The problem, however, is that you can't attach a unit to another unit. You can attach a special effect to a unit, but you can't attach a unit to a unit. BUT, you can get around this by using a repeating timer. Every .0167 seconds you move the position of your dummy unit to the same position of your target unit. This would take a bit of work, but this is the only way I know how to solve your problem. If someone else knows an easier way to attach a unit to a unit, I'd love to know!

Level 11
You can create a unit with the same model as the desired special effect, which is whole a "bone" named "head". Then all you have to do is just to lock it's body-part "head":

^
L___->
0---------> In trigonometry, you have to do the following: every x time, set Angle=Angle+x, set Radius=2, Distance from lock-body-part target to the effect is Radius * cos of Angle, the height of lock-body-part target will be Radius * sin of Angle.

What you do is that you create a dummy unit, place it in front of sfx, polar-offset by Radius*cos(Angle) towards the facing angle of sfx, and do Animation - Lock sfx's head to face dummy unit, offset by (0, 0, Radius*sin(Angle))

This wasy has to do a lot with modeling.

Level 10
ok, now I have read this and know that flip an effect is IMPOSSIBLE.

The only way is to change the effect to dummy unit with same model then move it near the attached unit. That won't work if I want to attach effect to, for example, right hand.
and, even if I use another "easier" attachment point like origin, it will look weird.

Ok, then, thank you all for "Help" me. :grin:

P.S: Sorry if my post sound harsh or something, I'm just try to conclude this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.