• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Turn Effect in Z-axis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=105830
attach the effect to this model and rotate the model as explained there
well... it's only work to change the dummy unit z-facing once and if u change it again, it will "flicker to face the wrong direction for an instant" according to that person explanation.
What I want to create is a spell that will make the caster rolling, then make all enemy that get in it's way to 'tossed', basically just make it jump in parabolic movement, but also make it roll in z-axis. If i just make it rotate in xy axis, it's just.. weird. and if i didn't rotate it, it looks unrealistic and plain.
I can use that method for caster, just set the caster model in trigger header, then when the caster cast it, hide it, create dummy unit wit that caster model attached into it, then rolls that dummy unit. but for the enemy, it's... very hard, if not impossible, to do it with this way.
any other ideas?

Level 19
make a dummy which has an animated attachment point which moves exactly as you said and use it for cyclone (unit will automatically be attached to the dummy)
but you will need to know how to do that in order to do it :p
there also is a dummy somewhere which has 180 animations (every animation is rotated by 2 degrees) and this way has no flickering but you can't turn in all directions and you will have to attach an effect to it as well

Level 10
make a dummy which has an animated attachment point which moves exactly as you said and use it for cyclone (unit will automatically be attached to the dummy)
um... what cyclone?
there also is a dummy somewhere which has 180 animations (every animation is rotated by 2 degrees) and this way has no flickering but you can't turn in all directions and you will have to attach an effect to it as well
there's dummy unit like that? wow. Gonna make a search for it.
but still, i can't make a random unit rotating in z-axis...

Level 19
um... what cyclone?

nightelf druids have a spell called "cyclone"
it uses a model with attachment point (which you can look up under the spells buffs) to make the target of ability fly and rotate
you can replace that model with your own one to have any movement you want
after the spell is done you should move the target with trigger because you just get the animation but no movement from cyclone alone

there's dummy unit like that? wow. Gonna make a search for it.
but still, i can't make a random unit rotating in z-axis...

you can save the model of every unit type in for example a hashtable and load it as you need it

Level 10
nightelf druids have a spell called "cyclone"
it uses a model with attachment point (which you can look up under the spells buffs) to make the target of ability fly and rotate
you can replace that model with your own one to have any movement you want
after the spell is done you should move the target with trigger because you just get the animation but no movement from cyclone alone
well, cyclone rotate the target unit in xy-axis.
you can save the model of every unit type in for example a hashtable and load it as you need it
it will greatly reduce the portability of the spell...every time i add unit or model, or change it, i need to go into that hashtable and change it. very inconvenient.

Level 19
well, cyclone rotate the target unit in xy-axis.

that's why I said you need a custom animated model for it
with cyclone you can move any unit in the pattern you animated

it will greatly reduce the portability of the spell...every time i add unit or model, or change it, i need to go into that hashtable and change it. very inconvenient.

feel free to think of an easier solution :grin:

but imho it is not much work
you will need one line of code per unit but for every unit you create you will have much more work than just setting a single line to something
also you can use the data for other cool spells
and maybe someone can write you a script to extract all these data for you

Level 10
Sorry for the late reply, I've been testing this:
that's why I said you need a custom animated model for it
with cyclone you can move any unit in the pattern you animated
with many wc3 default model and find nothing that can make the unit to 'roll'. well, I think I'll use the custom model for this... just change the cyclone a bit.

but imho it is not much work
you will need one line of code per unit but for every unit you create you will have much more work than just setting a single line to something
also you can use the data for other cool spells
and maybe someone can write you a script to extract all these data for you
my laziness suggest me to not do it :p. well, I'll use the first method.
Thanks for the suggestion :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.