1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Trying Out first game in Unity 3D - Snakes And Ladders

Discussion in 'Unity 3D' started by Zelda.Alex, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Zelda.Alex

Zelda.Alex

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wanted to make a game. Found out about unity on this game development forum. Trying out a small game. Just started so don't laugh.

If someone finds a better picture for snake and ladders board then please tell.

Contains the view of the Board for the game
    [​IMG]

2. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Here are a couple of ideas.
    Use blocks. Every block is a location. Every block is higher than the one before it.
    Aaand that's what i've got.

3. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The game mechanics should be coded separatly from the visual system. The visual system should just try and display the state of the game to the user. You could technically make snakes and ladders in a command line.

4. Zelda.Alex

Zelda.Alex

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Statharas
    So basically make an 10x10 array of blocks and use them for moving the players? That's good. I can use the blocks' transform for easily moving the players. Thanks

@Dr Super Good
    Where are you suggesting the coding to be done? I am currently using the editor with unity for that. Otherwise in which software will I code UnityScript? This is my first time making a game so don't have any experience. Just done some basic games in C and VB.

5. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Monodevelop

6. Zelda.Alex

Zelda.Alex

Resources:
    Resources:
    I am using monodevelop.I thought it was Unity's editor. So unity has some other editor?

7. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    MonoDevelop is the editor that comes with unity. Its a modification Unity made to the original.

8. Zelda.Alex

Zelda.Alex

Resources:
    Resources:
    A basic version of the game done

I made a basic version of the snakes and ladders game. It is not very pretty or anything but it's working. I have the board, 2 players and a method for dice throw. And the players are moving according to the snakes and ladders properly.

Really happy. Will improve it in some days. :grin:

@Statharas
    I will be waiting for your next tutorial. If you can then please explain about models in the next tutorial.

9. Zelda.Alex

Zelda.Alex

Resources:
    Resources:
    Some images from my first tries to make a model

I was trying out blender to make models so that I can make the board as well as the players better looking.
    Images of some practice I did in blender.

Images

First Try
    [​IMG]
    Second Try
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  10. doomhammer99

doomhammer99

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What kind of Program is that??

I want to make too.

11. Zelda.Alex

Zelda.Alex

Resources:
    Resources:
    Are you asking about blender? Just search blender on google. You will find the site blender.org. It's for making 3D models. Don't know if it's useful for warcraft or starcraft

12. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I was kinda thinking about simple boxes with textures and ladders on the walls.

13. Zelda.Alex

Zelda.Alex

Resources:
    Resources:
    For the house? I don't know how to add different textures to the different parts of a model. I'll find that out.

14. Zelda.Alex

Zelda.Alex

Resources:
    Resources:
    Made a simple model of a chess pawn

Chess Pawn Model
    [​IMG]

Made a simple model. Have a look and tell me whether it is anything like (in shape) this one:
    The model I finally want to make
    [​IMG]