• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Minigame] Try Not To Die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Version 0.5 (beta)

Try Not To Die
A series of minigames played by anywhere between 1 and 12 players where you have to gather points and... well... try not to die... too much anyway.

The map automatically adjusts the games to the amount of participants, but I recommend playing it with friends or a bunch of random people who you wanna take for a bit of an odd ride.

The gameplay is extremely forgiving of mistakes (which you are guaranteed to be making a lot of on your first playthrough), so the worst that can happen is that your death counter gets embarrassingly high. The map is meant to provide mindless fun and be laughably absurd, trying too hard to be funny, and at times unapologetically inappropriate. All in all, this map's purpose is to give you some easily digestible entertainment.

Current rotation of games
  1. Cross Road - Based on Frogger.
  2. Blademaster - PvPvE, Hero survival.
  3. Arachnophobia - Horror survival.
  4. Arena of Legends - Imbalanced Hero Brawl
  5. Boom - Chaotic dodgeball-esque brawl
  6. Golems Vs Chickens - PvPvE, cooperation or sabotage.
  7. CathLolicon - Tower Defense, terrain maze based.
  8. Whack A Mole - Hack and Slash with 4 directional AOE spells
  9. Build-A-Bear - PvPvE, Custom Hero Arena.
1. Cross Road
Simply put, your objective is to cross the road without getting flattened by a car. Should you succeed, you will be rewarded with points and a stacking speed bonus that will be reset if you die.

2. Blademaster
Each player gets a Blademaster with 4 non-hero spells with no mana cost. Your survival may be based on running away, grinding levels, or preferably, a bit of both. Watch out for other players trying to slice you up, and make good use of your Bladestorm.

3. Arachnophobia
Don't get eaten by spiders. Also, there may be something else lurking in the dark towards the end of this game, pray it doesn't find you.

4. Arena of Legends
T0tally 1337 aren4 m@p, no n00bz allowed, git gut or git rek'd. Nurf Harry the Windmill plz.

5. Boom
Dodge enemy bombs while trying to fire a few of your own. Running and gunning is the name of the game here. Stand still for a few seconds, and your death is assured.

6. Golems Vs Chickens
You play as a feeble golem trying to fend off a horde of crazed chickens. Which would be quite possible, if the other players would stop stunning you already! (Single player is not that fun here)

7. CathLolicon
You play as a poor misunderstood priest, being raided by mobs of angry people. Protect your church and its precious prepubescent treasures by recruiting likeminded individuals.
Standard solo tower defense. There's 10 waves and 3 types of towers. The more expensive ones are generally better, but saving too hard can prove costly.

8. Whack-A-Mole
AKA extreme gardening simulator.
You have 4 spells keybound to Q, W, E, R.
Each of them will cause your character to slam the ground in North, South, East, and West directions.
Q = left/west
W = up/north
E = right/east
R = down/south

9. Build-a-Bear
You play as a bear protecting your forest from various degenerates and randomly mauling other bears that you don't like.
You start by choosing 1 of 3 bears, which essentially boils down to what primary attribute your bear gets. Then you pick a total of 7 spells from the vendors. If you've played Custom Hero Arena, it's basically that. Players who fail to pick on time will have their character finished up by a script. If all players finish picking spells, the timer stops instantly.

BETA TEST

Playtest

The primary purpose of this beta test is player feedback. I am very open to any kind of input, so fire away.

My main points of interests from playtesters are:
  • How fun are each of the games?
  • How funny are some of the jokes? Notable hits and misses? (Some of them are meant to be lame and over the top)
  • Suggestions for gameplay changes
  • Suggestions for more jokes (it's never too many!)
  • Suggestions for new minigames
  • Suggestions for game option features (such as altering the order, playing a specific game, setting the game time, repeating previous games, altering music, etc).
  • Whatever you think could make you have more fun playing the map.
In general, I more than welcome absolutely anyone to participate in the development of this map. I think it's the sort of thing that would benefit immensely from the creativity and humor of more than 1 person.

For developers/map makers

From a developer perspective, one of the primary goals of this map is to practice refactoring as much as possible. Therefore, you will find that I have gone to extensive lengths to make the code as general and reusable as possible across all games. I would like input from those capable on places in my code, where improvements could be made towards refactoring, optimization, and potential bugs/exploits.

The map also has plenty of in-editor options that can be used to easily test various parts of the map. For example, any instance of "Spawn Game Characters" can be swapped with "Spawn Game Characters with simulation", to have the game spit out computer players on empty player spots, to give an impression of what it would look like at max capacity. This does not currently affect the flexible difficulty of the games.

Known Issues and intentional quirks:
  • Some minor location leaks have not been fixed. It's on my to-do list.
  • Some games aren't 100% ready to boot up multiple times in a single run of the map, which is down-prioritized due to the option of replaying not being available yet.
  • CrossRoad does not punish players for simply staying in the spawn - intentional, the game is designed to give new players time to soak in the general structure of the map without boring experienced players.
  • In WhackAMole, smashing abilities will still hit even if the caster dies while casting. I am considering whether this bug is worth leaving in as a funny little feature, or if I should fix it (which is easy to do). Feedback would be appreciated.
  • I make occasional use of the "Units of Type" selector action, despite knowing that it leaks a reference. I consider this to be a non-concern given the contexts in which it is used.
  • The lyrically reliant song on CathLolicon manages to get halfway through playing for the 3rd time before the game mode is done. I've noticed that the third time is when I personally start being aware of the repetition. I would like to know how annoying this actually is, and would like suggestions on how to enrich this experience.
  • The "Boom" game still spawns the testing based computer players. I personally find that this game mode is more fun at its maximum level of chaos. I would love feedback on whether to leave this (originally intended as test) feature in or not.
  • There is no "final score" calculated from points and deaths. I have been considering to just divide points by deaths for the final score, but I am open to suggestions.
  • Jaina's chain lightning doesn't fire when attack orders aren't manually given. This is a bug with the Lightning Orb spell. Suggestions on how to fix this with moderate effort would be appreciated.
  • ArenaOfLegends is a horribly imbalanced mess and a visual eyesore - that's the joke.
  • Arachnophobia. The jumpscare sound effect isn't perfect. Suggestions welcome on how to better implement it.
  • GolemsVsChickens is quite boring in singleplayer. The entire concept of the game is that some players will inevitably screw over others, causing the players to get overrun and die. The whole joke in this game is that the players could actually defend themselves if they worked together, but more likely, they will just drag eachother down instead. So in singleplayer, that kind of falls flat. I may add a bot to singleplayer to remedy this. Suggestions appreciated.
  • CathLolicon isn't perfectly balanced and lacks variety in options - to a certain extent, this is intentional. I want the player to be unable to make a perfect run without saving up for the more expensive towers, and I fear that a large variety of towers may make the game too complicated to pick up in the span of a few seconds. Any suggestions on balance improvements is appreciated.
  • The map generally lacks custom flavour - I prioritized getting a minimal viable product up on its feet. Future installments will focus on more game modes (as well as new games).
  • ArenaOfLegends. Jaina's Volcano ability has a poorly matched visual indicator. Honestly, I am not sure how exactly this bug works, but I am also considering to leave it in as a part of that game's intentionally flawed and broken design.

Attachments

• Try Not To Die 0.5.w3x
    20.6 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.