• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Trouble with exporting models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hello hive!

So I made some models (some really low poly models) for the game I'm developing with friends.

The thing is, they are so low poly and they are missing a lot here in the hive, but I've never got into the exporting of mdx or using ingame textures... I'm just plain bad about it, so I was wondering if anyone want to team up with me? The models are in .blend format and, of course I am using blender.

I have the models, see pics:

fUUr85u.png

867doy0.png

They are used in my game, but I am willing to share it with the hive for wc3 maps usage :3

So if anyone wants to help me export them to mdx and maybe make them a little nice texture (I am terrible at texture for I have no drawing pad atm and as I said already, I don't know how to use ingame textures).

Also if you want to give out some constructive support, go ahead I'm listening! :)

Ay ay mateys.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

The problem of epxorting somehow from Blender files to mdx has a long history,
but Systemfre1 just showed up the solution here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/modeling-animation-276/blender-mdx-mdl-276511/
You have to manually enable the ms3d export/import in the Blender user preferences.
Then the W3 Model Editor can import the exported ms3d file and you can save it as mdx or mdl.

The mesh looks okay, I dare to say you might could cut away one or another tri, for example the rifle's handle,
the difference is not going to be visible in-game, I would say.
Texturing these should be very easy, no matter whether with custom or in-game textures.
A hint, you can wrap your texture in Blender and then import the model to mdx, then you already have
the texture coordinates and don't have to do nasty wrapping using Mdlvis.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I dare to say there are still too many tris.
The handle consists of three tri groups, but in-game I am sure there won't be a visible difference.
The .. I think trigger it is called ? The trigger should also consist of maximum 2 tri groups
( one tri group = two tris forming a rectangle, this is not an atcual modelling term, but
invented right now by me).
I am not sure, but do the rifle itself, the shooting part, does it consist of one rectangle per side ?

Think about that the texture is going to solve a lot of meshing problems.
It might not look like a rifle when you get close, but low-poly models highly profit from
using texture instead of additional triangles.

About texture coordinates, I meant you wrap it in Blender, when you export it then,
these coordinates are epxorted, too, so you don't need to wrap it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.