• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Troll Medium

This troll sacrificed his eyes to the great god of trolls. As a gift for his sacrifice, the gods gave him the power to see spiritual and unusual things. Troll tribes are using these Sighters as a "Mediums" to communicate with their gods and ancestors. But not every troll can be a Sighter, only the trolls with 4 tusks can become Sighters.

This model is Co-produced with Misha, many thanks for his help and time.

Eye animated by me. Model created by me.

Keywords:
troll, jungle troll, spirit, medium, seer, skull, eye, floating eye, wizard, ratamahatta, trolllish, carribean, haiti, jamaica, wooden thing on back,
Contents

Troll Medium (Model)

Troll Medium (Model)

Reviews
13:17, 28th Oct 2015 Misha: Blinky the All-Seeing has turned out really nice :) you just might wanna make sure that model's name, and the front part of the portrait's name match exactly, or peeps might not see the portrait ingame at all.. also you...

M

13:17, 28th Oct 2015
Misha: Blinky the All-Seeing has turned out really nice :) you just might wanna make sure that model's name, and the front part of the portrait's name match exactly, or peeps might not see the portrait ingame at all..
also you could move the weapon attachment point to the actual weapon's center, and you might wanna make the portrait model look more like Blinkie.. then i'll be updating this moderation with a higher rating

Friends, comrades, unicorns and you other people of Hiveworkshop.

I need help. I would like to make the big one eye to blink, but I don´t know how, I read a lot of tutorials, but still can´t get the thing working. Thank you

Hm.. would you like to have the eye blink all the time or actually stop blinking when the troll dies?
one way is easy-ish, the other, not so much

It´s more than welcomed :)

so i did it. It looks very derpy :xxd: hanging around his crotch. But it works as you wanted and is attached to the main model. would you be able to adjust the position of the main eye bone in each animation by yourself?

also, some of the animations he uses really could be changed, because his weapon (or that wooden stake thing) clip through other parts or through the ground..

also2, for some reason now his weapon turns TC in some anims :xxd: dunno what happened, but it kinda felt cool

Level 19
so i did it. It looks very derpy :xxd: hanging around his crotch. But it works as you wanted and is attached to the main model. would you be able to adjust the position of the main eye bone in each animation by yourself?

also, some of the animations he uses really could be changed, because his weapon (or that wooden stake thing) clip through other parts or through the ground..

also2, for some reason now his weapon turns TC in some anims :xxd: dunno what happened, but it kinda felt cool

Betiful! Can you send it to me? Will divide credits to both of us :p

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I really love the idea behind this guy. "Sighters" or 'Mediums' are a solid addition to any good Troll race (wish I'd thought of it myself. xD (well, in a way I did. But not specifically this way)). I particularly love that it's a Jungle Troll. : )

I'm a little... Weirded out by the back-rack-stuff. The giant Watcher eyeball is cool, and the skull-with-eyeballs is weird-but-cool... But both together? Seems a bit overkill. Maybe.

Nice eyepatch, cool weapon... The "Stand Victory" animation becomes problematic with the huge Watcher-eye.

Also, might want to decide Hero /or/ Unit (or, make it both); it has Dissipate anims but no hero glow. I'd suggest adding Hero Glow or modding Dissipate to be Decay & adding Decay Flesh. (actually, both (like Direfury does it) would be ideal).

~

In a perfect world, I'd say ditch the Watcher ward-back-rack; just have it floating in the air above his shoulder, peering around & floating to & fro as the guy does his animations (have a spell anim where he throws/tells it to go somewhere). Maybe the skull... Throw some shields or leaves on his back? Ah dannae, I'm just making stuff up at this point.

Good stuff!

Level 19
I really love the idea behind this guy. "Sighters" or 'Mediums' are a solid addition to any good Troll race (wish I'd thought of it myself. xD (well, in a way I did. But not specifically this way)). I particularly love that it's a Jungle Troll. : )

I'm a little... Weirded out by the back-rack-stuff. The giant Watcher eyeball is cool, and the skull-with-eyeballs is weird-but-cool... But both together? Seems a bit overkill. Maybe.

Nice eyepatch, cool weapon... The "Stand Victory" animation becomes problematic with the huge Watcher-eye.

Also, might want to decide Hero /or/ Unit (or, make it both); it has Dissipate anims but no hero glow. I'd suggest adding Hero Glow or modding Dissipate to be Decay & adding Decay Flesh. (actually, both (like Direfury does it) would be ideal).

~

In a perfect world, I'd say ditch the Watcher ward-back-rack; just have it floating in the air above his shoulder, peering around & floating to & fro as the guy does his animations (have a spell anim where he throws/tells it to go somewhere). Maybe the skull... Throw some shields or leaves on his back? Ah dannae, I'm just making stuff up at this point.

Good stuff!

Thanks man, used a lot of your stuffs, but for the holy mother of jesuss mother, you can´t throw your only source of vision ... :D

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Alright.

This has gotten exponentially better due to the eye being animated. Seriously, Misha, good work; that takes this model from "interesting but weird geomerge" to "totally useful geomerge". : )

I think, then, there are only a few things to worry about:
  • Despite what I said above, I think your name should be first for "creators", Skipper. Misha definitely helped immensely, but you created the idea, the model's base.
  • Please change the name. It's kinda funny, but stuff like that is perfect for the Tags. I think "Troll Spirit Medium" would be perfect. Or "Troll Medium"
  • Speaking of Tags, those are surprisingly important, and there's really no reason not to spam them. Pretty much just throw everything in there that even barely makes sense (troll, jungle troll, spirit, medium, seer, skull, eye, floating eye, wizard, etc...), as well as some jokey stuff (blinkie the all seeing, troll eye guy, etc...).
  • Not sure I'm a fan of the 4-tusk dealie, though I respect that you made that a sort of lore tie-in.
  • I kinda feel like the weapon shouldn't disappear in his Attack animation (unless you wanna provide an upload). Maybe just throw some sparkly SFX on it so he can "throw" a projectile (like most of the other casters)
  • He could really use some more TeamColor; concurrently, he could use less symmetry. I like the little pauldrons he's got (creative), but you could stand to remove the left-shoulder-one (opposite the eye) & replace it with a TeamColor alternative. Perhaps something wood-y.
  • Still is unclear whether Hero or Unit (decay, dissipate, hero glow, etc)
  • Stand Channel could use some SFX (on the eye) as well.
Seriously, though, great work. I particularly love the motions of the eye; Stand-4 and Stand-2 are amazing. : )

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I think it'll look better with a bigger mohawk.
Oh you. What do you know about modding Trolls. Everyone knows all you make is zombies.

: )

//EDIT// - So, um, yeah. I'm pretty much in a bind now... I am really excited to see this guy used somewhere in mah Troll stuff, but I am literally bursting at the seams with cool Troll unit/hero models. I cannot take it anymore.

Basically, I'm really impressed with the improvements you have made. They may seem small, but they really add up to a cohesive, fleshed-out model. I am eternally grateful you didn't just stick another tiki-mask on his shoulder; the ribbon-thing is great, and the TC is now solid IMO. His new loin-cloth is neat, the eye is ever-wonderful... And best of all, you went above and beyond by throwing in the pair of bongo drums on his back! I can't tell you how keen of an idea that is; magic drums are totally a thematic slam-dunk for a tribal, Trollish medicine mon.

1407936408906s.jpg

(Y'know, I'm gonna have to add Hero Glow myself & see if this could fit in for something... That, and remove the skull. I'm sorry, I'm still not feeling that weird, derpy-eyed skull. :< Creative, though)

Level 21
great model, i think I'm using it in a map (obv with credit). 4/5 bc the portrait is a little gimpy - looks like his head is stuck on his neck at a wierd angle and doesn't show any of his funky doodads. especially after you wrote all the lore about the 4 tusks it's kind of lacking that you left all tusks out of the portrait...

plus for noobs like me - make sure to add a 1 to the end of the portrait file path if you want it to work.

Last edited: