• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Triggers / Quest basics + open map right way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey. I need to some help with my very first quest triggers. I have tried to get some information from tutorials in here but unfortunately no working quests.

What I have at the moment:

Townhall quest
Events
Time - Elapsed game time is 2.00 seconds
Conditions
Actions
Quest - Create a Required quest titled Townhall with the description - Townhall must sur..., using icon path ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNAmbush.blp
Set QuestTownhall = (Last created quest)
Quest - Create a quest requirement for (Last created quest) with the description aaa
Set QuestRequirementTownhall = (Last created quest requirement)
Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Discovered message: |cffffcc00MAIN QUES...
Quest - Mark QuestTownhall as Discovered

I am trying to make very basic quest that says "Townhall must survive". Need help to understand basics of quests. After I have 1 or 2 working quests I can use those as formula for new quests. Very first thing what I need help is that the quest wont show up in quests section of map.

EDIT, testing

• Townhall quest
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 2.00 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Quest - Create a Required quest titled Townhall with the description - Townhall must sur..., using icon path ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNAmbush.blp
        • Set QuestTownhall = (Last created quest)
        • Quest - Create a quest requirement for (Last created quest) with the description aaa
        • Set QuestRequirementTownhall = (Last created quest requirement)
        • Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Discovered message: |cffffcc00MAIN QUES...
        • Quest - Mark QuestTownhall as Discovered

Last edited:
Level 20
What you have should be working. I've tried this (which is basically what you did) and it works just fine, you just have to wait until elapsed time is 2.0 seconds:

• Events
    • Time - Elapsed game time is 2.00 seconds
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Quest - Create a Required quest titled Town hall with the description Your description, using icon path ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNAmbush.blp
    • Set Quest01 = (Last created quest)
    • Quest - Create a quest requirement for Quest01 with the description Town hall must surv...
    • Set Quest01Requirement01 = (Last created quest requirement)
    • Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Discovered message: |cffffcc00MAIN QUES...
A few pointers:

0) I see you know you can copy the trigger as text. Good. Now, if you put the quest text in these brackets: [trigger0] Your quest text [/trigger0] (just without the zeros), it will display like the one I've posted above :)

1) When you're creating a quest requirement, you've used the "Last created quest" function instead of your quest variable. While this shouldn't cause any issues in this particular situation, I find it a good practice to always use the variables if you already have them.

2) Unless you select "Required, undiscovered" or "Optional, undiscovered" in the Quest - Create Quest action, your quest is already discovered and you don't need to mark it as discovered again.

3) The description in the Quest - Create Quest appears in the bottom part of the quest description box in the quest log and is generally meant to be a little bit of story or flavor that describes the quest itself, not the actual quest requirements.

4) Quest requirements are their own separate thing. They are displayed in the top half of the quest description box in the quest log as a list, hence you don't have to include a "-" before the requirement description, i.e. "Town hall must survive" instead of "- Town hall must survive".

5) If you want the quest to NOT appear in the quest log, just don't create it until you want it to show up. Alternatively, you can use the "undiscovered" options from point 2), that way the player will see that there's a quest, but won't be able to see it's title, icon, requirements and description until the quest is marked as discovered.

---

I'm posting an image of the quest log after running the trigger I've posted above. It contains a little bit of extra information as to what goes where in quest actions.

quest-jpg.333029

Last edited:
Level 3
Thank you MasterBlaster! My quest works now.

My trigger was ok but I got some problem with testing my maps. Sometimes when I launch my map from game custom campaign menu maps are not updated as campaign. Sometimes test map button in editor works better. Not sure what is causing the difference. Is it required to open campaign editor and update maps somehow?

Last edited:
Level 3
I just learned what was causing the problem: I used normal File - Open map menu. Right way to open map is to use campaign editor (F7) and right click map file and select edit map. Otherwise changes wont be saved on campaign file. (.w3n)

Status
Not open for further replies.