• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Trigger- Raising Flying Height?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
For an ability, i want to raise the height of a unit, then have it drop back down to 0. Does it's movement type need to be "Fly" to do this? Or can i get around that and keep it as "Foot"?

I know the trigger:

Animation: Change (trigger unit) flying height to 200.00 at 3.00

but it wont work.

*edit* Also, is there a way to damage an area WITHOUT causing damage to your allies? OR does a dummy unit have to be used to do this? please don't say a dummy unit :(

Last edited:
Level 16
Yes there is a way to use that trigger for ground units. You will need to add the ability "storm crow" with a trigger to the unit and then you will be able to change its flying height with that action. Add the ability and remove it instantly (or you can just leave it, the removing is not neceseary).

And for your edit question: No. Using the action "damage area" you will also damage your allies. No way out of it if you use that action.

Level 18
Yes there is a way to use that trigger for ground units. You will need to add the ability "storm crow" with a trigger to the unit and then you will be able to change its flying height with that action. Add the ability and remove it instantly (or you can just leave it, the removing is not neceseary).

And for your edit question: No. Using the action "damage area" you will also damage your allies. No way out of it if you use that action.

other than going through the trouble of adding this ability, is there ANY other way? :|
otherwise, what would the skeleton of these triggers look like for adding storm crow to raise flying height and make fall back down?

Last edited:
Level 16
No other way than making the units movement type flying. Skeleton trigger? Well:

event - your event
conditions - your conditions
actions:
-unit - add storm crow to 'your unit'
-unit - remove ability storm crow from 'your unit'
-animation - change 'your unit' flying height to 200 at rate 3 (with rate 3 thats pretty damn slow btw)
-wait 3 sec (or w/e)
-animation - change 'your unit' flying height to 0 at rate 100

Is this what you asked for?

Level 18
No other way than making the units movement type flying. Skeleton trigger? Well:

event - your event
conditions - your conditions
actions:
-unit - add storm crow to 'your unit'
-unit - remove ability storm crow from 'your unit'
-animation - change 'your unit' flying height to 200 at rate 3 (with rate 3 thats pretty damn slow btw)
-wait 3 sec (or w/e)
-animation - change 'your unit' flying height to 0 at rate 100

Is this what you asked for?

so just by adding storm crow form for .0001 seconds, this automatically allows you to change their flying height?

Level 16
Well the excact string is "storm crow form". And i dont think that would be the problem here as he mentiones the right ability in his comment.

so just by adding storm crow form for .0001 seconds, this automatically allows you to change their flying height?

Or did you perhaps by accident add the "stone form" ability which is right above the "storm crow form" ability?

If this did not clear the problem, you should post the trigger.

Level 18
  • Actions
    • Cinematic - Disable user control for (Player group((Owner of (Triggering unit))))
    • Advanced - Create a special effect circle around location (Position of (Triggering unit)) with radius 300.00 with 16 effects in total using model path Abilities\Weapons\SpiritOfVengeanceMissile\SpiritOfVengeanceMissile.mdl and lasting 6.50 seconds
    • Unit - Add Crow Form to (Triggering unit)
    • Unit - Remove Crow Form from (Triggering unit)
    • Wait 0.25 seconds
I have to post them 2 in a row because I can only do 25 in each.

Level 18
  • Animation - Change (Triggering unit) flying height to 200.00 at 3.00
    • Wait 4.50 seconds
    • Advanced - Create at Attach Point - Chest of (Casting unit) the Abilities\Weapons\Bolt\BoltImpact.mdl effect lasting 0.75 seconds
    • Animation - Change (Triggering unit) flying height to 0.00 at 0.75
    • Wait 0.75 seconds
    • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing (Position of (Triggering unit))
    • Unit - Add a 1.50 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
    • Unit - Add Slow Time (Actual Ability) to (Last created unit)
    • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to (Convert (Name of Slow Time (Actual Ability)) to point targeted order) (Position of (Triggering unit))
    • Sound - Play SlowTarget <gen> at 90.00% volume, located at (Position of (Triggering unit)) with Z offset 0.00
    • Cinematic - Enable user control for (Player group((Owner of (Triggering unit))))
I know I'm not the best at making triggered abilities, that's why I need yall's help. So what's wrong do you think?

Last edited:
Level 16
Right well I havent looked into that other problem of yours, so lets keep this topic on topic, and if you have another problem you can make another thread. So the problem with this flying height thing is just a simple confusion.

You are adding the ability "crow form" when you should add the ability "storm crow form". They are two separate abilities.

Level 18
Right well I havent looked into that other problem of yours, so lets keep this topic on topic, and if you have another problem you can make another thread. So the problem with this flying height thing is just a simple confusion.

You are adding the ability "crow form" when you should add the ability "storm crow form". They are two separate abilities.

No, no. The only reason Crow Form is there now instead of Storm Crow Form, is because I already used Storm Crow Form and it didn't work, and then SFilip said this:

FWIW its "Crow Form" that should be added (dunno for the "storm" version, but this one worked for me and all the other people out there).

So I tried to see if Crow Form worked instead. Neither of them have worked for me. I will try one more time with Storm Crow Form and then let you know if it works.

*EDIT* I tried it with Storm Crow Form substituted in, he still will not raise. Are you sure there's no other requirements aside from adding this ability in to be able to raise flying height?

Here is the updated Trigger:

• Actions
    • Cinematic - Disable user control for (Player group((Owner of (Triggering unit))))
    • Advanced - Create a special effect circle around location (Position of (Triggering unit)) with radius 300.00 with 16 effects in total using model path Abilities\Weapons\SpiritOfVengeanceMissile\SpiritOfVengeanceMissile.mdl and lasting 6.50 seconds
    • Unit - Add Storm Crow Form to (Triggering unit)
    • Unit - Remove Storm Crow Form from (Triggering unit)
    • Wait 0.25 seconds
    • Animation - Change (Triggering unit) flying height to 200.00 at 3.00
    • Wait 4.50 seconds
    • Advanced - Create at Attach Point - Chest of (Casting unit) the Abilities\Weapons\Bolt\BoltImpact.mdl effect lasting 0.75 seconds
    • Animation - Change (Triggering unit) flying height to 0.00 at 0.75
    • Wait 0.75 seconds
    • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Position of (Triggering unit)) facing (Position of (Triggering unit))
    • Unit - Add a 1.50 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
    • Unit - Add Slow Time (Actual Ability) to (Last created unit)
    • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Mountain King - Thunder Clap
    • Sound - Play SlowTarget <gen> at 90.00% volume, located at (Position of (Triggering unit)) with Z offset 0.00
    • Cinematic - Enable user control for (Player group((Owner of (Triggering unit))))[/trigger

Last edited:
Level 18
Animation - Change (Triggering unit) flying height to 200.00 at 3.00
You are aware 3 is the speed here? This means your trigger would take more than a minute to get the unit up.

.....AH-HA! I knew there must of been something else wrong. Thankyou Sflip you rock. It should work now then. What would be a good rate to change at?

Level 18
> What would be a good rate to change at?
distance/time=speed
So if you for example want it to be 4 seconds to reach the height of 200 the ideal speed would be 200/4=50.

thanks man, and I kinda figured that out on my own a little while ago so I shoulda tried before asking! Ugh, now I'm off to find a forum that can help me with my spell triggers since my dummy units don't work properly for these spells lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.