• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Trigger Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello everyone, I'm making a custom map, with custom heroes and abilities, and today I came across a problem with a trigger:

I'm creating a spell that damages an enemy unit, and also heals every friendly units in 500 AoE from the target of the spell for the same amount of damage dealt.

For the single target damage I used chain lightning, removing bounces and animations, then I was thinking for the trigger something like this:

Event : A unit cast a spell
Cond : Spell equal to "myspell"
Actions : Pick every unit |in range X| from |target unit of ability being cast| matching |conditions| and do actions

For the conditions I can't understand how to set: "units that belong to an ally of owner of casting unit"

Can someone explain me how to do a similar thing?

And also, after I set this condition, what is the action I should trigger to heal the picked units for the equal damage dealt to the enemy?

Thank you.

Level 25
Well, you will need to learn what variables are :)
Look at this topic: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/trigger-gui-editor-tutorials-279/variables-5896/ to get a basic idea.

For the amount of heal, you will want to first calculate what damage/heal you do.
If level 1 deals 150 damage and each additional level deals 75 more damage, the calculation would be 75+ (spell_level * 75). So if you had level 1, it would be "75 + (1*75) = 150"

The healing effect should be done like this
  • Triggers
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Your_Spell
    • Actions
      • Set HealAmount = (75.00 + ((Real((Level of Your_Spell for (Triggering unit)))) x 75.00))
      • Set TempPoint = (Position of (Target unit of ability being cast))
      • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 500.00 of TempPoint matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an ally of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Set life of (Picked unit) to ((Life of (Picked unit)) + HealAmount)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint)
      • Custom script: set udg_TempPoint = null
Things to know:
HealAmount is a "real" variable
Change values in the HealAmount so it's same like what damage your spell does
in the HealAmount equation there is this part "(Real((Level of Your_Spell for (Triggering unit)))" - ability levels are defined as integers, so to use this number, you need to use "Conver integer to real" function.

TempPoint is a "point" variable. You need to save the position of the target into this variable, so you can remove it at the end of the trigger to prevent memory leaks (too many memory leaks make your map laggy and in worst case may cause crash)

in the unit group you use "Pick every unit in *location*) and as *location* you set "Units in range matching condition".

The three lines:
Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint)
Custom script: set udg_TempPoint = null

prevent memory leaks. Be sure that the 2nd and 3rd custom scripts have exact name just like the point variable you use (I use TempPoint variable here, so in the custom script I write TempPoint as well. If I named TempPoint as SpellLoc, then both custom scripts would have SpellLoc as well)

Level 2
Ah! I knew what variables are, I use them often, I didn't thought about using them in this way here though. Thanks for your help, this should work all fine! ^_^

Level 2
Ugh, wait, I can't find: "(Real((Level of Your_Spell for (Triggering unit)))"
Where do I find the "level of a spell" value, to set a real number?

Level 25
Well, the complete formula looks like this:
HealAmount = Arithmetic( A + [ Arithmetic{B x C} ] )
A is 75
B is "Convert Integer to Real"
C is 75

Once you select the option Convert Integer to Real, slide down in the new menu and find "Unit - Level of Ability for unit"

Status
Not open for further replies.