• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

<(TRAPPER)> Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Trapper...
Well basically what i wanted this map to be is that you are a hunter (out of 3 races) and set traps to hunt animals and if one another opposes each other you get to trap each other

OBJECTIVE: EDIT:Gain 10000 gold coins, killing players will give you 90, being killed will loose yourself 100 (based on level) gold and the usual animal hide will be from 10-80 and meat will be from 50-80

System
Mana is used for places traps,
-Traps are items that will be using mana costs from 5-30

Settings...
-Forest
-Snow Forest
-Mountains
-Snow Mountains
-Caves
-Desert

Races
-Dwarf
-Human
-Troll
>Racial Abilities
-Troll
-Beserk, Haste, Faster speed
-Dwarf
-Sneak, (Windwalk)
-Human
-Trap Making, Reduces mana cost of all traps

Traps
-Spike trap, Once stepped on spikes emerge from the ground dealing (???)
damage(Based on item ranks that go to 1-5)
-Flame Trap, Once stepped on flames emerge from a small device causing damage over time(burning) dealing damage from (???) (Based on item ranks that go to 1-3)
-Hidden Spikes, Once stepped on deals small damage (??) and slowing(bleeding effect) (no ranks)
-Small Cage (small animals only ex. Raccoons, snakes) once stepped inside (stunned with cage effect ontop for hunter to kill and skin, whatever) lasts for 8 seconds
-Medium Cage (Medium animals only ex. Deer, Small bears, Wolves) once stepped inside (Stunned with cage effect ontop for hunter to kill and skin, whatever) lasts for 7 seconds
-Large Cage (Large animals only ex. large bears, other hunters) once stepped inside (Stunned with cage effect ontop for hunter to kill and skin, whatever) lasts for 5 seconds

<Note> i dont know how im going to im going to work cages exactly....once the building is stepped through it gets destroyed and puts the effect on the unit i suppose...

-Bear Trap, you know those claw traps, once stepped on deals (??) damage and immobolizes for 5 sec and slowed (hidden spikes) for 3 sec (all based on rank from 1-2)
-Arrow Trap, trip on a rope, string, w/e, and a arrow is set loose from a hidden device (shockwave)
-Gun Trap, Trip on a rope, String, W/e and a gun fires a bullet from a hidden gun device (shockwave)

<Note> I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THE ROPE AND STRING WILL WORK!

-Net trap, set above in the trees and immobilizes the unit, lasts for 5 sec based on rank from 1-3
-Land Mine, Burried in the ground, once stepped on sends a shockwave blowing the current unit away (dealing (???) damage based on 1-3 ranks)
<need help on the blowing away part!> then stunned for 5 seconds based on rank

(EDIT)-Hidden Turret, Set inside of a bush and will attack anything that comes near it one rank
(EDIT)-Entangling Trap, Once stepped on entangles target immobilizing for 5 sec to 7 based on rank from 1-3.

(GIVE ME TRAP SUGGESTIONS!!!!)

Items...
-Traps of course!
-Guns (10 types)
-Bows (11 types)
-Knives (used for skinning and escaping nets<only later knives after the 5th rank> 8 types)
-Arrows(2 types)
-Bullets(1 type)
-Quivers (3 types, Give haste, First doesnt)
-Pouches (3 types, Give haste, First doesnt)
-Food (5 types)
-Bait, used to lure animals but is very weak.
-Rope with 3 metals balls on the end(I STILL DONT KNOW THE NAME OF THESE >.<), used as a item to trip a animal/hunter, once thrown it is thrown into a line. not targeted.
<GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS>

Anything i forgot? hmmm....

< my requests >
Forest ambience
Triggers
Models possibly? idk

Oh yeah!!! umm..
-Skinning and Meat (from animals of course)
i will set up small cottages around the map that you can go inside (another reign of the map) buy your hunting supplies there and sell hides and meat,
also buy food for healing

Max level will be (edit) 15

EDIT#1:
Weapons
-Hunting Sabre (basic starting weapon)
-Hunting Spear (2 types)
-Hunting Daggers (5 types)
-Hunting Cutlass (3 types)
(edit)-Hunting Axe (2 types)

EDIT#2
Bounties
I shall place special bountys on special animals with given names...their hides and meat will give more than usualy money...7-9 or 10-12

EDIT#3
PVP
well i decided since you could probaly kill players real easily i will set perhaps "time limits" like for example 10 minutes of pvp, everyone is unallied, if you die you end up back at the nearest hunters lodge....unless i get a better idea

(EDIT) PvP Item
Fake Animal, this animal is stationary saying that it will always stay in the spot its in..used to lure other hunters into the fake animal's hunter's trap

Give me suggestions in this thread or email me at [email protected]

Last edited:
Level 8
I like it, it sounds neat and original. I have a couple Trap icons, that you may want.
Give me a bit, and I'll find where I uploaded them.

EDIT: Uploaded, they were all created by Whitesock at TheHelper.net

Attachments

• Mine+Boot IconPack.zip
    110.5 KB · Views: 46
  • BTNBootsEntangled.zip
    30.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Level 4
hey thats a pretty good idea you have there. Gameplay focused around traps is pretty original.

about the traps - how/will players have to upgrade to other varieties of traps (trap techtree?)? will players require materials to create traps? (might get too confusing from the high numbers of items/traps that you are planning already. personally i think u have too many weapon variations. gameplay should focus on traps right?)

I would also like to know people's opinion on how to do the rope/string trap (as i have a trap in my map too). Currently i just have a black miniature model of a castle wall as the rope. works from a periodic timer that groups units within range in order to trigger the trap ability.
Is there a better way to do this? I'd like to know too.

since players compete for the hunting, how would player interactions go? will there be fighting over territory? or killing? (IMO thats bad, detracts from goal of game) or just leave others alone to do their own thing (what if they go for the animal you are currently trying to trap and they interfere)?

I hope you import some good forest models. that would give a nice atmosphere. wc3campaigns has some awesome tree, grass, shrubs models that are very small in file size.

thats bout it for now.:infl_thumbs_up:

Level 3
hmm thanks V i havent really thought of the ranking system so i guese ill get to thinking, and no i will not require materials for traps. thinking about it...i might change into spells so ill have to come up with a unlimited spell inventory or use spells books that cost...hmm

and i was thinking that in certain time limits theres like a 10 or shorter PvP time, but somewhat like Go Fish if you've ever played it

EDIT: ok i've decided but not completely sure lol unless theres a better way...the traps will still be items and in ranks for example:

Bear Trap rank1:100g
Bear Trap Rank2:500g
Bear Trap Rank3: 1000g
(may not be real prices!)

and to stop massing of traps i shall put a limit on traps...like ever play medieval builders? UNLIMITED TRAPS = YOU GET PWNED, but there are limited towers, this is what i was thinking with traps, no not unlimited...like:

Bear Traps: You may only have 3 bear traps out on the field.

and so the larger the game, the more valuable their drops are

i shall also raise the money cap to 10000g UNLESS i can get a better idea like....days untill end for score? nah i'd be ripping off Go Fish!

and have you ever seen one of those things on ropes that like...3 metal balls on rope..like swing em in the air to wrangle cows or something strange like that...might add those..

oh yeah i got most of my models from wc3campaigns, i also posted this idea on their forums, no replies yet lol!

Last edited:
Level 8
This map sounds awesome. About how long are you expecting this map to take for one trapper to beat another? And is there a chance for some form of solo play? Also will each race have its own unique aspect/abilities to it?

For the balls and net idea, you should make it so the hunter uses it and when they cast it, just have the net shoot out in the direction of the hunter and if it hits any unit that unit is snared. THis would be more challenging and require the right amount of skill and finesse than just clicking on the target.

It would also be cool for the hunter to be able to send out fake animals that could confuse and distract the other players.

Level 3
brilliant...never wouldve thought of the fake animal...i am also adding bait..but it will be "weak" saying it wont always work and there are 3 types

No i dont think there will be solo play unless...it made sense to me i would prob try

and im thinking, with the right traps it should only take the same level hunter as the other maybe...3 minutes to kill based off of race

also i did add racial abilities in the race secetion (lol)

Last edited:
Level 4
funny... i was exactly thinking about FiSH when i was reading this :grin:! that was a funny game until i got bored... always wished for some interactions when trying to bring in the fish that took the bait =/

um so how will the prices work? u say the bear trap ranks will be of increasing prices, so you would have to pay (n take away from your objective?) in order to use better traps? or will it be like a sort of unlocking system that allows you to use higher ranks once you reach a certain gold amount? (come to think of it an unlocking system may be a bad idea as it causes some crazy snowball effect :bored: )

also, solo play can easily be implemented with the same elements as multiplayer, with the exception of a timer/goal target.

about wc3campaigns, it seems that they dont take anyone seriously in the map development unless you present your idea with some level of professionalism (or at least proper spelling/diction formality, subheadings, and just general organization, along with some indication of progress? =/). I highly doubt you're gonna get any response with the same post that you started off with here, especially a response from the respectable/knowledgeable members...

Level 8
you know whats funny? I went on a bliz forum before TFT came out and I suggested in a thread about stuff they should add to TFT and I said traps.
Human = Fire Trap
Orc = Spike Trap
Undead = Soul Trap
Nightelf = Log Trap (2 logs swing down from both sides and squish its enemies)

People laughed at me for this but yes you should definitly make this into a melee map! this only proves that great minds do think alike ^_^

Level 8
Ohhh didnt see that.

Also, basing it off pandas idea, maybe have unique items available only to certain races.

The trolls also seem a bit overpowered, but i dont know how strong the racials will be.

Also some sort of interaction with the environment would be awesome. Like climbing trees to wait for an animal or hunter. Or picking certain plants for use as bait.

Level 3
Also some sort of interaction with the environment would be awesome. Like climbing trees to wait for an animal or hunter. Or picking certain plants for use as bait.

hm sounds good with the climbing trees...maybe hiding inside a bush doodad turns you invis..

um so how will the prices work? u say the bear trap ranks will be of increasing prices, so you would have to pay (n take away from your objective?) in order to use better traps? or will it be like a sort of unlocking system that allows you to use higher ranks once you reach a certain gold amount? (come to think of it an unlocking system may be a bad idea as it causes some crazy snowball effect )

well basically it is taking away from your objective, thats the challenge- not to buy to much of a powerful trap, this makes it so powerful traps should be rare, but then i was thinking....hey what if someone went crazy on the weaker traps? only 4 or 5 traps out...but still...actualy..a limited to 4 inv sounds good...and a stack of 1 trap..that means no crazy trapness!! no trap should be under 100gold... it might be a slow process to feed off of smaller game but if anyone has a idea to somewhat possibly fix this problem go ahead!

and trolls overpowered? hmmm i cant see how

EDIT: DEAR GOD I CANT LOAD THE MAP!!! RESTART THE COMPUTER!!!

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I think this map idea is sad. . .
Do people not ever think about what if you were that pour animal that dies in your map?
And such a pointless map as this is entirly based on hunting for money which the world despises.
Even though it is a computer game such pointless killing maps are depressing to some people.
In TDs and defences such killing is alright since they are hostile and attempting to ruin your fun but a map where your meant to enjoy killing timid and harmless animals with traps sounds like no fun.

This is more of a philophsofical (arg how ever you spell it) post and thus need not stop you making your map, it is so you just think about what you make and the morals behind real hunting. . .

Level 8
i guess we should stop making games altogether that involve killing or bringing harm to any unit huh? Ethics should stay in the real world (Unless something is absolutely obscene or horrific/cruel)

=D. Eitherway an argument for another thread and forum. Let this one focus on helping this guy make his map.

Level 3
dude...its a game.... get a grip

anyways can anyone give me the triggers i need for teleporting from zone to zone?

(EDIT) oh goody i found it out on my own nvm

oh and someone tell me how to import my own loading screen?

(EDIT2)got that too!
(EDIT3 hopefully last) oh yeah i need the model paths for weather...or something i need fog in the forest to make it look better...or somesort of model..

also requesting to have trapper put in the "projects" section of the forums!

Last edited:
Level 8
I think this map idea is sad. . .
Do people not ever think about what if you were that pour animal that dies in your map?
And such a pointless map as this is entirly based on hunting for money which the world despises.
Even though it is a computer game such pointless killing maps are depressing to some people.
In TDs and defences such killing is alright since they are hostile and attempting to ruin your fun but a map where your meant to enjoy killing timid and harmless animals with traps sounds like no fun.

This is more of a philophsofical (arg how ever you spell it) post and thus need not stop you making your map, it is so you just think about what you make and the morals behind real hunting. . .

May I laugh at you ?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I know it is a computer game. . .
I know they fun and I have played many maps/games feturing killing ranging from oblivion (elder scroles 3 or was it 4?), Empire earth and its decendants, supreme commanders and wc3.
Its just that such a map based on mindless killing of animals can make one depressed if you think that it is really happening in real life and real animals are dieing as you read this post.
And note I am Mr. 2000+ kills in games like empire earth, and maps like hero defences and Swat am so im by no means mercifull.
In EDOTMW my acount had over 750000 units killed intotal and the average game I played I killed thousands (1k-2k)

Im just saying that you should think about the reality beind what your making (NO NOT THE RACES OR ANIMALS) the actual theme of hunters killing animals for money.

Thats all. . .

Level 3
Dear Dr Super Good
I have a few questions for you and some comments...and i shall mark questions as "Q" and comments as "C"

Q:What kind of war3 map doesnt involve death?
Q:Are you a vegeterian?
C:eek:ur race wouldnt survive without killing
C:lets hope you never see war
Q: Do you live in Iraq?

i think thats enough..way more where that came from but all i can say is that you need counsiling (spelt wrong) and the counsler (spelt wrong too) will probaly tell you to stop playing warcraft...emo?

oh yeah the threads going off topic too no thanks to Dr Super Good

Em!

Em!

Level 25
Aww i´ve been doing something similar for a month now *grr* except its about assassins setting up traps and ambushes against players.

blah there is a huge diffirence anyway,less killing of animals and there are objectives quests and a main objective in order to complete the game and that is too assassinate the enemy lord by sneaking into his fortress.

Level 8
its a very creative game idea that has a lot of potential. Accept that it is a game and at the most hope those playing it can distinguish it from reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.