• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Transferring footprints to another model (W3 TFT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi everyone, can someone teach me how to use mago's war3 model editor to transfer Illidans burning footprints to another model?

Alternatively, If someone can do a short vid to show me how this is all done it will be nice, ty

Level 42
if your model already has some footprints then it's easy
open the model in magos, click windows -> node manager and look for event objects with names that start with FPT at the bottom of the list
double click it, check the data field to see if it's a right foot or left foot, and then change the type to SPN (SpawnObject) and in bottom data field type IFP1 if it's right foot or IFP0 if it's left foot
7.png

Level 3
if your model already has some footprints then it's easy
open the model in magos, click windows -> node manager and look for event objects with names that start with FPT at the bottom of the list
double click it, check the data field to see if it's a right foot or left foot, and then change the type to SPN (SpawnObject) and in bottom data field type IFP1 if it's right foot or IFP0 if it's left foot
View attachment 395482
Looks like the model i'm working on does not come with any footprints as I can't seem to locate either of those 2 FPTs you mentioned. Does that mean I have to create new FPT event objects for it?

Level 42
Looks like the model i'm working on does not come with any footprints as I can't seem to locate either of those 2 FPTs you mentioned. Does that mean I have to create new FPT event objects for it?
yes but the tricky part is coordinates and event tracks, you'd better use mdlvis to figure these out

you can see the event tracks in the image i posted (17833 and 20267, two of them because walk and walk defend), that's the moment during the walk animation when the footstep will appear, it has to be when the foot is first put down on the ground or shortly after it

right click the event object -> edit node and you'll see the "pivot point" and x y z coordinates

open your model in mdlvis, go to sequence editor (press F3) and select your walk animation, go to the movement tab
on the right there's the geosets field, uncheck "show all" and find out which geoset has model's feet in it, and select the vertices of the bottom of foot (press "F" to alternate between textured view and wireframe to better see what you're doing)
on the bottom is the animation track with blue vertical lines (keyframes), one of those is the moment when the foot is put down, click on that keyframe and (if you've got the vertices selected) in the top right, under the "Coords:" the bottom right "Coord center for selected vertices:" you'll see three familiar x y z coordinates, type those in magos in edit node pivot point

Last edited:
Level 3
yes but the tricky part is coordinates and event tracks, you'd better use mdlvis to figure these out

you can see the event tracks in the image i posted (17833 and 20267, two of them because walk and walk defend), that's the moment during the walk animation when the footstep will appear, it has to be when the foot is first put down on the ground or shortly after it

right click the event object -> edit node and you'll see the "pivot point" and x y z coordinates

open your model in mdlvis, go to sequence editor (press F3) and select your walk animation, go to the movement tab
on the right there's the geosets field, uncheck "show all" and find out which geoset has model's feet in it, and select the vertices of the bottom of foot (press "F" to alternate between textured view and wireframe to better see what you're doing)
on the bottom is the animation track with blue vertical lines (keyframes), one of those is the moment when the foot is put down, click on that keyframe and (if you've got the vertices selected) in the top right, under the "Coords:" the bottom right "Coord center for selected vertices:" you'll see three familiar x y z coordinates, type those in magos in edit node pivot point
Thanks for all those steps, I tried to follow all of that and I still couldn't get the desired result I am hoping for, it is beyond my knowledge and skill atm to be at that level to carry out all those steps correctly, I didnt think it was this hard

At this stage i'm better off to have someone experienced to help me patch the burning hoofprints into that other model that I'm hoping for, until I fully learned how to use these model editors, if you are interested in helping me do that, let me know and ill provide the model, thanks again

Level 42
Thanks for all those steps, I tried to follow all of that and I still couldn't get the desired result I am hoping for, it is beyond my knowledge and skill atm to be at that level to carry out all those steps correctly, I didnt think it was this hard

At this stage i'm better off to have someone experienced to help me patch the burning hoofprints into that other model that I'm hoping for, until I fully learned how to use these model editors, if you are interested in helping me do that, let me know and ill provide the model, thanks again
it's possible that i messed something up while explaining it
post the model, i'll see what i can do

Level 42
i can see the problem here, it is, to my knowledge, impossible to change the size of these footprints
if you use this sargeras model at its normal size ("Art - Scaling Value 1.00" in object editor) then these footprints will be tiny in comparison and nothing can be done about that
however if you plan to resize him roughly to illidan's size then they will look normal but this will create other problems with particle emitters that this model has, these things don't scale too good

you still want me to do it?

Level 3
i can see the problem here, it is, to my knowledge, impossible to change the size of these footprints
if you use this sargeras model at its normal size ("Art - Scaling Value 1.00" in object editor) then these footprints will be tiny in comparison and nothing can be done about that
however if you plan to resize him roughly to illidan's size then they will look normal but this will create other problems with particle emitters that this model has, these things don't scale too good

you still want me to do it?
Sure, it might turn out good🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.