• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tooltip of custom spell not showing once in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hi i am in front of a big problem for all new spells i created in my map :

On one of my current map project the icon path for custom abilities wasn't the custom enabled icon but the basic spell of a paladin "holy light". the description tool tip matches while its unlearned but as soon as you click on it the spell revert to the basic tooltip icon and description of a paladin spell undoing the custom spell description and name set in the editor ingame.

If anyone could help me i'd be gratefull to understand this problem... is it because of a maximum ability limit in wc3 ? breaking the tooltip ?

Im gonna add screenshot to this post as soon as i get back from work.

Level 25
To me, this sounds like a badly setup ability in object editor.
Hero abilities use two icons - one is when researching the ability (i.e. when you click on the red cross and you are to choose which ability to level up) and the other icon is for when the ability is learned and ready for use. Similarly it is with spell tooltips and descriptions.

When researching the ability, these fields are used:
  • Art - Icon - Research
  • Text - Tooltip - Learn
  • Text - Tooltip - Learn - Extended
When the ability has been learned:
  • Art - Icon - Normal
  • For single-level abilities (i.e. ultimates)
    • Text - Tooltip - Normal
    • Text - Tooltip - Normal - Extended
  • For multi-level abilities:
    • Level X - Text - Tooltip - Normal
    • Level X - Text - Tooltip - Normal - Extended

Level 6
Hi, thanks for your idea, but i already know how to setup a custom icon, with a custom path for icon. The bug occurs ingame as seen on the second screenshot :

Beside the basic icon the custom description of the ability also breaks down, giving the basic description of a bolt while its not...

Attachments

• capture icon setup world edit.JPG
    capture icon setup world edit.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 16
  • capture icon setup game 1.JPG
    capture icon setup game 1.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 18
  • weird 2.JPG
    weird 2.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 19
Level 6
this unit is based of a paladin basic unit does the bug occur because i have reached a maximum and the game can't find the tooltip... im in a dark zone as this never happened before...

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Try reverting back to an older working version and test it to see if it works properly. If it's not a version issue, proceed to add whatever additions your most recent version has to the old version one by one. Test in-between additions so you can confirm whether or not what you've just added is the culprit.

If that fails then maybe reinstall the game? I dunno, this is a very strange issue.

Level 6
Try reverting back to an older working version and test it to see if it works properly. If it's not a version issue, proceed to add whatever additions your most recent version has to the old version one by one. Test in-between additions so you can confirm whether or not what you've just added is the culprit.

If that fails then maybe reinstall the game? I dunno, this is a very strange issue.
i played a older ver, the issue creates itself whenever i create a new ability in the current world editor. it seems like any other abilities icon and pathing works on before but theses newly added ones don't work...

Are you working in folder mode?
what do you mean ? i just open WE and works in OBj editor for theses custom skills.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
i played a older ver, the issue creates itself whenever i create a new ability in the current world editor. it seems like any other abilities icon and pathing works on before but theses newly added ones don't work...

what do you mean ? i just open WE and works in OBj editor for theses custom skills.
Sorry, I meant map versions, like going from MyMap 1.5 to MyMap 1.4. I believe the folder mode option is available on patch 1.32+ (maybe 1.31).

Last edited:
Level 6
Sorry, I meant map versions, like going from MyMap 1.5 to MyMap 1.4. I believe the folder mode option is available on patch 1.32+ (maybe 1.31).
ok thats what i did sorry too of the misundersanding, but this bug seems to be recurrent. should i trigger change the tooltip and icon via triggers then ?

Level 6
Maps can be saved/edited/manipulated as a folder instead of the collected .w3x file. This is an option within the WE preferences for a particular map. It's most useful when it's necessary to import many files or manage data directly.
Ok, no i didn't know about this mode so i would say i was running the w3x normally

EDIT : Well this doesn't work either...

Last edited:
Level 39
It sounds to me like you have a custom MPQ (or whatever they became—CASC?) overwriting data in your map on launch. These are usually part of total overhaul mods or very extensive campaigns that want to store their data in them instead of in the map files for each map.

Ultimate Battle is the only one from here I can think of off the top of my head.

Level 6
should i change category of help area then ? if its not a world edit problem ? i can't seem to find an exit to this problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.