• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tooltip Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
So I entered the world of faking units as spells again so I can make a custom cooldown. But now I have a problem with it again. This time it's with the tooltips.

Problem: I can't highlight the "hotkey" of the "spell" in the tooltips.

Even though I have it like "|cffffcc00(T)|r" it still shows as a white T ingame. I know units sold this way CAN have color though, because the assassin has an a highlighted in his tooltip. Does anyone know what's going wrong?

Attachments

• TooltipProblem.jpg
    TooltipProblem.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 223
Level 6
There are two lines that are different in object editor, ability tab:

Text - Name (aram)
and
Text - Tooltip - Normal (atp1)

The 'Text - Name' displays the name in normal World Editor, while 'Text - Tooltip - Normal' shows the title of the said ability ingame. So you should be putting the color codes in the latter, not the former.

Same for learning abilities, etc.

Level 5
Okay, so I took a screenshot from the WE. I use JASS Newgen (I think?). I actually don't have much experience with taking screenshots from outside of WC3, so hopefully this is good enough. The weirdest part is that the "T" is highlighted in the WE, but ingame it's white all of a sudden.

There are two lines that are different in object editor, ability tab:

Text - Name (aram)
and
Text - Tooltip - Normal (atp1)

The 'Text - Name' displays the name in normal World Editor, while 'Text - Tooltip - Normal' shows the title of the said ability ingame. So you should be putting the color codes in the latter, not the former.

Same for learning abilities, etc.

I had it like this to begin with (Putting in the Tooltip - Normal). So that's not the problem.

Attachments

• Tooltip4.jpg
    Tooltip4.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 132
Level 6
Then the problem seems to be that there is another same unit of type that you use but doesn't has the hotkey letter in it, or someone is selling a wrong unit, etc.., not the tooltip being the issue.

If you tested this after you applied the change or used test map, I'd suggest you restart wc3, sometimes changes don't show up until after restarting (at least, for me).

Level 5
Then the problem seems to be that there is another same unit of type that you use but doesn't has the hotkey letter in it, or someone is selling a wrong unit, etc.., not the tooltip being the issue.

If you tested this after you applied the change or used test map, I'd suggest you restart wc3, sometimes changes don't show up until after restarting (at least, for me).

Man, I was hoping you were on point. Because I make all of my units based on a peasant (Dummy units are too good), and the hero already was using a dummy unit for another spell, I thought you had it. However, it didn't work. I made a brand new dummy unit based off of the footman instead. I removed everything from the hero and added that footman dummy. But the hotkey still showed white.

025-luke_NOOOOOO.jpeg

Level 6
tumblr_lxkd96K47p1r9jbmuo1_500.gif

(pardon the shitty tumblr gif)

You can post the map if you want, and I can dig around and find the issue for you.

Level 5
Okay, I have no problems with posting it.

The hero that this is being used on is the Blader (Humans, Hero)
All of her spells can be found under Humans, Hero/Unit (since she has both types of spells)
Edit: I forgot to list what spells she's using (you might need this info, idk xD)
1) Refraction Blade [Q]
2) Shadow Edge [W]
3) Dagger Shot [E]
4) Severing Blades [R]
5) Kaishaku [T]
Any other related abilities will have the above names with them. ex. Shadow Edge has 2 abilities to it, and the Unit spell form is the active part. Oh, and anything with a (\/\/) is an incomplete spell.

The dummy unit that is suppose to represent the spell that I'm having issues with is Ebony Strike Counter 1 and 2.
(I actually only need counter 1, since counter 2 was to test out the using a different unit thing) These can be found under Neutral Passive, Special.

I'm sorry if the map is a mess, but I just made a direct copy of what I'm working on.

You don't have to do this if you don't want to, but can you also try taking a glance at the other heroes? Most of them are either unworked on, or like halfway done. Since this is going to be a castle defense in its most basic form, I'm sort of curious what your opinion would be on the concepts behind some of these heroes. I'm tired of hearing my sister always saying "It's fine I guess, but it's weird. Just because you made it." Not really constructive feedback there...

Attachments

• Yugata's Hero Defense v0.01.w3x
    705.1 KB · Views: 75
Level 6
This is certainly interesting. After tests and text changes, all still showed no yellow text that you were looking.

Then I turned off the trigger named 'TEST' which seems to be affecting the Ebony blade counter. I added the dummy unit as sold unit to Blader and now it shows the colored text properly.

Then I turned on the trigger and removed a single action that removes your sold unit (dummy), and when the trigger fired it added another instance of the exactly same dummy unit but without the colored text. So the Blader hero basically has both dummy units that can be "sold", but one has colored text and other doesn't.

Now I'm even more confused. :x Doing a bit more testing now.

Edit: Seems like it creates a separate unit instance. No idea how to go around and fixing it :/

Level 5
Separate unit instance? What does that mean?

Well, nothing seems to be working, I could just go for the white hotkey. The perfectionist in me is screaming no! But the spell isn't meant to be cast on "cooldown" anyway, so what does a hotkey matter in that case? Besides visual looks. lol

Level 6
Maybe I'm being creative with how it is, but when you add an unit as sold unit to the 'marketplace' (being in this case, blader), it seems to create a 'new unit' that doesn't seem to derive from the original unit's color codes in the text. Considering you can have two's of one exactly same unit on Blader, there seems to be a problem but that's why I couldn't figure it out what is happening in code. WE is weird sometimes.

Level 5
But doesn't removing the sold unit sorta cancel this out? I don't know, I'm sort of venturing into new waters with this map. (spells based on attack damage, using unit stocks for spells, creating heroes that completely differ from heroes I normally see, etc.)

But thanks for trying to figure out my problem. I'll just go work on something else for now, like the Marine hero that'll eventually have 18 spells. (LOL)
+rep for effort.

Level 3
Adding or removing items/units via triggers will always strip out their colors in the tooltip. I think hotkeys don't work with the items added by triggers either.

Level 5
Delete and recreate that ability.
Make sure you update the hero's ability field.

Well, what I'm having issues with is a unit's tooltip. It's only pretending to be a spell, so recreating the spell it's faking probably isn't going to do anything.
The Hero doesn't even have the spell itself yet, as I'm only trying to fix the unit part first.

Status
Not open for further replies.