• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tools/methods for character model editing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey there!:)

I'm looking into both resizing and reshaping part of a character model, as a learning projects of sorts. The base character will be Doom Guard, and for starters my goals are:
  • Resizing the wing mesh(also possibly improving the overall wing shape)
  • Adding smaller extra horns(using the main horns' texture)
Problem is, I'm not quite familiar with the use of modeling tools.:oops: I've done some slight alterations with geoset before, but I'm unsure if that tool would suffice this time around.

My main question is, what tools should I use for this project, and how? Other than the typical Warcraft 3 editors I do have 3DSMAX available via a hobbyist association I'm in. If I'm going to need extensive 3D modeling, I'd appreciate some tutorial links, but other tips are also much appreciated!;)

Level 2
Other than the typical Warcraft 3 editors I do have 3DSMAX available via a hobbyist association I'm in. If I'm going to need extensive 3D modeling, I'd appreciate some tutorial links, but other tips are also much appreciated!

I recently started browsing tutorials both in Hive and the rest of the interwebz, but I can't find what I'm looking for. Typical modeling tutorials do exist of course, but what I specifically need is some info on how to edit preexisting mdx models. Thinking of trying Oinkerwinkle's Vertex Modifier next.o_O Edit: the zip seems broken. Anobody know any similar, simple tool?

Last edited:
Level 20
One of the tool I use is MdlVis, which has been out there for quite a long time now. It's a bit unstable and half of the menus are in Russian, but it's a very complete all-in-one tool for modeling, UV mapping and animating.

Use it in combination with Magos's Warcraft 3 Model Editor, a very powerful tool to deal with the "data" part of your model, as well as using game assets.

Also, as a side note, you'd want to convert your models to .mdl format before editing them. Working on the .mdx files directly can cause some unwanted effects. And perhaps most importantly, whatever tool you're using, always keep a safe copy of your work, because oh man how screwed up models can get if you click in the wrong place...

Status
Not open for further replies.