• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

So working on my first character model for Warcraft 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
woops wrong button. gotta fix it quick! Fixed!

So working on my first model for Warcraft 3, little 3 limbed black thingy.
Just wondering what you guys think of the design and got a few questions.
Came up with the name Triartus for it, sounds a bit over the top to me but it fits the character's design.
The model is 127 polygons and 234 triangles, making this with 3ds Max 2008. I would prefer to try it with 3ds max 5 and the proper art tools but that doesn't seem to want to work out in my favour.

blackTriartusForWeb.gif

Here is the texture, it's currently a 256 map. I originally made a 512 for this but noticed that the map isn't too detailed at all. I'm considering of dropping it down to 128 if need be for performance.

TriartusTexture256%20copy.png

How does self illumination work in Warfcraft III? Is it supported at all? Because I was considering making a self illumination map for the characters eye doohickey.

Does Warcraft III allow models that have the normals flipped?
I'm considering making this with a white outline around the entire model.
I've done this by cloning the original mesh using push and flipping the normals yet I don't know if Warcraft III supports the flipped normals.
Although this will double the poly count, the model wasn't intended to be too common within the game.

blackTriartusForWeb2b.gif

I'm planning to begin the rigging for it tommorrow. Hopefully that'll work out in my favour.
Comments, criticisms, hints or suggestions you guys might have?
(maybe this post needs more spinning gifs.)

Last edited:
Level 2
In order to mod Wc3 you must use 3ds max5 else you won't be able to use all the features that 3d max 5 allows for Wc3.
Also you can use blinkboys script for 3d max 2008 :/ but....you will see.

Well like I said, I would prefer to use the proper tools but the closest I've gotten to this is with the 3ds max 5 trial(which is now over).
Some help in that department would be nice.

So right now I am limited to the various 3rd party plugins that are often buggy and lacking in features.
Luckily I just want to make some simple models to get working right now, so it's not getting in the way from the looks of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.